Control over reservation?

hanna7636

Hi! We just booked a 2024 cruise in Europe while on our last cruise.  We still have time to transfer the reservation to a travel agent or PCC.  I know with a travel agent you have no control over the reservation but is that the same if I use a PCC?  I can handle the reservation part but am unsure of booking the hotel, etc.  What I like to do is pay a little over time and I like just being able to log in to do that.

Thank you for any advice.

24 minutes ago, hanna7636 said:

Hi! We just booked a 2024 cruise in Europe while on our last cruise.  We still have time to transfer the reservation to a travel agent or PCC.  I know with a travel agent you have no control over the reservation but is that the same if I use a PCC?  I can handle the reservation part but am unsure of booking the hotel, etc.  What I like to do is pay a little over time and I like just being able to log in to do that.

Control over your reservation is over-rated.

If  you are using a TA, you can still make changes to your reservation as long as the change does not affect the TA commission, ie, you can still book excurstions, dining, entertainment, etc.   

You can also call the TA to add hotels, transfers, etc., by calling the TA.  The only difference being, you call the TA instead of calling NCL. 

If you're not using a TA, you're giving up the perks provided by the TA.  Most TA provide some perks in addition to those provided by the cruise line.  Perhaps the TA may include DSC even when the cruise line does not. 

My TA also discounts the prices charged by the cruise line by 8%. A PCC does not discount. 

You should ask your TA about making payments over time.

One of the nicer things about  using a TA is that you're not locked into a specific cruise line.  I can book with any cruise line (still getting the 8%) by using the same TA.  In addition, I do not spend time on hold when I call my TA.  I can send her emails and she respons quickly.  Sometime she even calls me back on the weekends or after hours if my email is time sensitive.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hanna7636 said:

In my experience a PCC will not handle a booking unless they made the booking (with exception of those booked on a ship), I'm not sure they would take it.

Yes, once a booking is finalized (initial deposit paid) it’s too late for a PCC to get “credit” for it, so they have no incentive to work on it for you. Unless maybe you let them cancel and rebook you, I don’t know.

This is how it has been explained to me, anyway, and it’s why I often get contacted by an eager new PCC when I create a courtesy hold (and why I never hear from them again after I finalize the payment by myself online).

I don’t see a lot of advantages in working with a PCC. I’m sure some are better than others, but the hotline agents seem to be able to do all the same things, and they are available all day, every day. 

• Like 1

I usually book online then transfer to my TA . I also tend to book way in advance so my TA becomes my Q&A person with the cruise line. I have also been using him for over 20 years now so we are also good friends, I respect his opinions and he respects mine.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Yes, once a booking is finalized (initial deposit paid) it’s too late for a PCC to get “credit” for it, so they have no incentive to work on it for you. Unless maybe you let them cancel and rebook you, I don’t know.

This is how it has been explained to me, anyway, and it’s why I often get contacted by an eager new PCC when I create a courtesy hold (and why I never hear from them again after I finalize the payment by myself online).

I don’t see a lot of advantages in working with a PCC. I’m sure some are better than others, but the hotline agents seem to be able to do all the same things, and they are available all day, every day. 

This has not been our experience. In fact, just this week we booked with NCL and then moved it to a TA several days later. I believe you have XX number of days to do this after booking.

21 minutes ago, jcathers1 said:

This has not been our experience. In fact, just this week we booked with NCL and then moved it to a TA several days later. I believe you have XX number of days to do this after booking.

As @hawkeyetlse says a PCC is not a TA, a PCC works for NCL except you have their telephone numbers and email address so you can contact them directly for help with the booking instead of using the all centre.