Singinalot's 2023 Land Trip to Istanbul, Cappadocia, Rome, Amalfi Coast, & Florence

We moved on with no real intention other than to see and experience as much as we could in this new to us city.

The Bargello is ahead.

The Bargello, also known as the Palazzo del Bargello or Palazzo del Popolo ("Palace of the People"), is a former barracks and prison in Florence, Italy. Since 1865, it has housed the Museo Nazionale del Bargello, a national art museum.

IMG_1635.thumb.jpeg.ed772e84d18471d9755e0b4a9063b1b2.jpeg

old doors are my thing

IMG_1636.thumb.jpeg.c99f225012e7872b0959fe496dc836d5.jpeg

Nate for scale in front of the Bargello

IMG_1637.thumb.jpeg.d3b5be004ac38fbcecccad8987be7fd9.jpeg

The Complesso di San Firenze (Complex of San Firenze) is a 17th-century Baroque-style building, consisting of a church, palace, and former oratory, located on the southeast corner of the saucer-shaped piazza of San Firenze, located in the quartiere of Santa Croce in central Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. The buildings were commissioned by the Oratorians of Saint Philip Neri.

Complex below:

IMG_1638.thumb.jpeg.4d64fa3e2dcfc949b8fe689de451c61f.jpeg

IMG_1639.thumb.jpeg.ae9bf50b8ed4a4a248393aaa909bd423.jpeg

Crystal, I’ve been silently following along and enjoying every single post and photo! 
We are embarking on our first trip to Europe on 9/24 (2 nights Venice, 3 nights Rome, 7 night Med cruise, 2 nights Barcelona).  I hate to hijack or interrupt your report but I must ask - how do you keep all your plans, thoughts, etc. organized?  What I’m referring to is when you say “I knew where we wanted to eat…”.  I obviously have any bookings for tours, train tix, reservations in my phone, but do you just keep all your ‘ideas’ in your phone notes?  Right now I have everything written out on paper but I don’t want to carry around my notes everywhere. Any input will be greatly appreciated!  

• Like 4

Hi. When you went from your hotel to Termini to get the train did you walk or take a taxi? If you got a taxi was it easy to get one, how long did it take and how much did it cost? If you walked how long did it take? I am trying to plan for next June when we will be getting the train from Termini to Civitavecchia for our cruise. Thanks. Allison

Edited by PurpleTraveller

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Crystal, I’ve been silently following along and enjoying every single post and photo! 
We are embarking on our first trip to Europe on 9/24 (2 nights Venice, 3 nights Rome, 7 night Med cruise, 2 nights Barcelona).  I hate to hijack or interrupt your report but I must ask - how do you keep all your plans, thoughts, etc. organized?  What I’m referring to is when you say “I knew where we wanted to eat…”.  I obviously have any bookings for tours, train tix, reservations in my phone, but do you just keep all your ‘ideas’ in your phone notes?  Right now I have everything written out on paper but I don’t want to carry around my notes everywhere. Any input will be greatly appreciated!  

hey friend! thank you for following and you’re not interrupting at all! I’m open to any and all questions as I’ve always wanted these reports to be helpful. I use google sheets on my phone and the notes app. It’s super helpful for me.

I tend to lay out by day, but I also keep it fluid. You’ll notice some of the istanbul things we did on different days, etc.

I also keep links to thinks on the google sheet and then a second tab for estimated costs as i plan. 

IMG_2400.png

30 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Hi. When you went from your hotel to Termini to get the train did you walk or take a taxi? If you got a taxi was it easy to get one, how long did it take and how much did it cost? If you walked how long did it take? I am trying to plan for next June when we will be getting the train from Termini to Civitavecchia for our cruise. Thanks. Allison

hi! we walked each time. Though, by the end of the Florence day, if Nate had said “let’s take a taxi back”, I would have. lol.

It was a 35 minute moderate walk from Albergo Del Senato to Roma Termini. If you’re going to have luggage and not staying close to the station, I would definitely go with having your hotel arrange a taxi for you from there to the station. It’s not all flat and plenty of bricked/rocky streets.

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

hey friend! thank you for following and you’re not interrupting at all! I’m open to any and all questions as I’ve always wanted these reports to be helpful. I use google sheets on my phone and the notes app. It’s super helpful for me.

I tend to lay out by day, but I also keep it fluid. You’ll notice some of the istanbul things we did on different days, etc.

I also keep links to thinks on the google sheet and then a second tab for estimated costs as i plan. 

IMG_2400.png

Thanks Crystal! This is very helpful to condense and organize all my pages of notes & scribbles.  

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

hi! we walked each time. Though, by the end of the Florence day, if Nate had said “let’s take a taxi back”, I would have. lol.

It was a 35 minute moderate walk from Albergo Del Senato to Roma Termini. If you’re going to have luggage and not staying close to the station, I would definitely go with having your hotel arrange a taxi for you from there to the station. It’s not all flat and plenty of bricked/rocky streets.

Thanks for this. We have walked from the Pantheon area to Termini but never with luggage. I'm hoping to do carry on only but may just wait until we are there to decide whether to walk or taxi.

Today, August 11, is the 79 year anniversary of Florence’ independence from fascism. This explains the parade we had seen earlier.

IMG_1649.thumb.jpeg.bc913d74ff9d80ba2b9b5eee2a916259.jpeg

IMG_1650.thumb.jpeg.7916bd2c86945835b74c1b22243da363.jpeg

we stayed for a bit to watch the ceremony and speech but then moved along

IMG_1651.thumb.jpeg.011b7fba5be3a27937773a11e1cdb2ee.jpeg

Edited by singinalot

we have arrived at Ponte Vecchio

. The only bridge in Florence spared from destruction during World War II, it is noted for the shops built along it; building shops on such bridges was once a common practice. Butchers, tanners, and farmers initially occupied the shops.

IMG_1656.thumb.jpeg.0082d6031d161a31ade19727f69d02aa.jpeg

IMG_1659.thumb.jpeg.993f12aeb38579309ca8f94dba139629.jpeg

IMG_1660.thumb.jpeg.58d5021a9f1119414f803ad455087df4.jpeg

IMG_1655.jpeg

14 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

What beautiful weather you had Crystal!  I am loving all the blue sky!

it really was! gorgeous!

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I was wondering what could possibly come close or surpass your amazing Greek travel report.  Here it is!  Awesome, beautiful, magical.  

Thank you! I’m enjoying reliving the moments and memories. looking at a big family trip to Italy for next summer.

We ventured to the other side of the bridge and came to this beautiful square…The Pitti Palace

IMG_2419.thumb.png.d79b90857bf34af6668f1c1d3abe1023.png

If you haven’t guessed by now, Nate and I aren’t much for museums usually so chose not to go in. I did have another destination in mind, though.

I had my mind set on the Boboli Gardens.

Entrance was 11euros each

IMG_1669.thumb.jpeg.2aa5eaf0de91a0ee8edead57678abe03.jpeg

to give an idea of the relation to the Pitti Palace (it’s directly behind)…you’ll see more soon

IMG_2428.png

You know how when you’re not looking for something or don’t need it, you’ll see a million of them? but when you need it, there’s none to be found? This was the case in Boboli Gardens. LOL. I needed a) a WC and b) a Coke Zero. I was shocked there weren’t any snack stands throughout the park or people selling 1euro water bottles. 

Figures.

Walking uphill as we entered the gardens

IMG_1670.thumb.jpeg.e28ae146402eebec1bd2fbfaefefd46f.jpeg

Nate said “that’s the biggest bathtub I’ve ever seen”

IMG_1672.thumb.jpeg.2781869f492a9de3a41f880a894d48e2.jpeg

we walked through the ampitheatre and upppp the gardens to get this viewIMG_1677.thumb.jpeg.37b51395fa45bdfd104e01bf928de7d8.jpeg

part of the upppp

IMG_1678.thumb.jpeg.f04ea4679bbe5a6ee0af2db958c9d422.jpeg

IMG_1679.thumb.jpeg.9b5dc1ab1778a8e196057dda6b730ca4.jpeg

there we go…same building behind us as 2 pics ago:

IMG_1680.thumb.jpeg.7d3cfcf1e924ff15b7177c42cfde3c0e.jpeg

IMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.542292e595a1ecafe19b32376b8ca49a.jpeg

pretty little corner

IMG_1686.thumb.jpeg.142753ca0242a0ebe2be31176696991c.jpeg

the door to ???

IMG_1688.thumb.jpeg.d6e2deaee8c825b63c2410776054e563.jpeg