Pirate Jumps Ship! A Live Carnival Vs. MSC Comparison 8/20/23 - 8/27/23

pirate4me2

Is it time to go yet???

Mom informed me that she wants to head out at 4 am on Saturday. 😵 I think she has lost her mind! It's a 8.5 to 9 hr drive to PC from where we are, there is no reason to head out that dang early. I told her if we do, she's driving the first 5 hours....I will NOT be human if I have to get up at 3:15. She is plum cray cray. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

9 hour drive! I would drive in the day before. I agree with your mom. I have a 4.5 hour drive to my home port and always drive in the day before. :classic_biggrin: My DH and I are too excited to wait until the day of to drive. LOL!! Nothing like waking up in the port city the day of your cruise.

Thanks for taking us along on your journey. 

• Like 1

Yeah, PC is a 9 hour drive for us (potty stops included) and we always spend the night before the cruise in PC.  And we can go have dinner at Rikki Tiki Tavern out at the end of Cocoa Beach Pier!

Now, Jacksonville is another matter.  Five or so hours of driving and we can get to the port by noon for embarkation.👍

rikki tiki.png

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cynt said:

9 hour drive! I would drive in the day before. I agree with your mom. I have a 4.5 hour drive to my home port and always drive in the day before. :classic_biggrin: My DH and I are too excited to wait until the day of to drive. LOL!! Nothing like waking up in the port city the day of your cruise.

Thanks for taking us along on your journey. 

Saturday is the day before our cruise, this one is a Sunday to Sunday itinerary. No way will I drive in day off, that’s too risky in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yeah, PC is a 9 hour drive for us (potty stops included) and we always spend the night before the cruise in PC.  And we can go have dinner at Rikki Tiki Tavern out at the end of Cocoa Beach Pier!

Now, Jacksonville is another matter.  Five or so hours of driving and we can get to the port by noon for embarkation.👍

rikki tiki.png

I’ve never tried that restaurant, I will have to look it up for future reference!!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Many passengers will be dressed up in the evening, especially the Europeans and South Americans. I don't think I saw anyone indoors in the evening in shorts, t-shirt, flip flops.  Maybe on pool deck.

Was this on a cruise to the Caribbean or Bahamas? We should didn't see many people people at all dressed up on the Meraviglia to the Bahamas.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:58 AM, pirate4me2 said:

So instead of wearing shorts, flip flops and a T-shirt to dinner (yes, I am that person!) I had to pack 4 outfits just for dinner.  AND I realized that all my “dressy” shoes are technically just fancy flip flops. Argh. Guess I need to go buy a nice, neutral pair of dress shoes.  I am feeling a bit fonder of dear old Carnival again, where my flip flops are basically the only pair of shoes I pack!  

Probably too late for your packing ritual, but just remember --- flip flops by any other name are "sandals". That's one I wouldn't stress on. Besides - dress shoes can be painful after the freedom of flip flops/sandals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Was this on a cruise to the Caribbean or Bahamas? We should didn't see many people people at all dressed up on the Meraviglia to the Bahamas.

Caribbean plus Ocean Cay, Bella experience, 7+7 nights, from Miami.

I should mention that I referred to adults; I did see a few pre-teen girls in shorts in the evening.

1 hour ago, Momma1980 said:

Following!  I’m also 25+ cruises on Carnival and have my first cruise on another line booked for next month. Royal Caribbean. Looking forward to your comparisons! Hope you have a great cruise with your mom!

Welcome aboard!

Royal is one, along with NCL, that my hubby and I are considering to sail with friends who are not Carnival fans. I think I am leaning more toward NCL though. 

• Like 1

Pre-Cruise Hotel Info:

Thanks to @Jamman54, I discovered the Home2Suites in Cape Canaveral last November. We used to stay at the Raddisson Resort at the Port when we would sail from PC, but that place has gone downhill and wasn’t up to snuff last time Chris and I stayed there. So, this is our new go-to when we sail from Port Canaveral. It is clean, in a great location, and now has a park & cruise package! The address is 9004 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral if you want to check it out!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Pre-Cruise Hotel Info:

Thanks to @Jamman54, I discovered the Home2Suites in Cape Canaveral last November. We used to stay at the Raddisson Resort at the Port when we would sail from PC, but that place has gone downhill and wasn’t up to snuff last time Chris and I stayed there. So, this is our new go-to when we sail from Port Canaveral. It is clean, in a great location, and now has a park & cruise package! The address is 9004 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral if you want to check it out!

After seeing @Jamman54's pictures of the Home2Suites, I want to stay there - and I live just a mile and a half away! 🤣

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Knights on the Beach said:

After seeing @Jamman54's pictures of the Home2Suites, I want to stay there - and I live just a mile and a half away! 🤣

I am so jealous that you live so close to a cruise port!!!

50 minutes ago, Sassafrass'sMom said:

Hi.  I'm looking forward to your comparison of these two lines.  We are platinum on Carnival and status matched with MSC.  Taking our first cruise on the Seashore March of 2024. I'm very interested to hear your opinions.   Enjoy your cruise. 

Thanks for tagging along! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Knights on the Beach said:

Don't forget that the Hampton Inn and Home2Suites are connected if you don't want to splurge for a Suite. We've done both and loved it! 😎

• Like 6

Ugh, I need this vacation to be NOW. Flirt, my dear, sweet redhead horse, decided to kick the farrier today and did some lovely work to him. I’m praying he doesn’t drop us as a client now. I’ll be drinking a few extra drinks this vacation until I hear back from him. 

IMG_0175.jpeg

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

Ugh, I need this vacation to be NOW. Flirt, my dear, sweet redhead horse, decided to kick the farrier today and did some lovely work to him. I’m praying he doesn’t drop us as a client now. I’ll be drinking a few extra drinks this vacation until I hear back from him. 

IMG_0175.jpeg

Beautiful horse!  How old?

6 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Beautiful horse!  How old?

22....certainly old enough to know how to behave for the farrier. But, she has been known to be a bit spicy now and then, and today was unfortunately one of those days. She believes her job in life is to keep me on my toes and guessing. Today she succeeded. 

• Like 7

On 8/17/2023 at 2:06 PM, pirate4me2 said:

IMG_0175.jpeg

oh no!

hopefully they don't drop you, it's hard to find a good ferrier...

plus this pretty girl would probably have to test the new one even more... they're like kids with a substitute teacher lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Have you been to Costa Maya?  My favorite spot to go is The Krazy Lobster at Mahahual Beach.

Yes, we love Costa Maya. Our usual spot is Maya Chan, but they are closed next week, sooooo…the plan is to actually stay onboard and explore “gen-pop” areas of the ship. 

1 hour ago, ARcruisin2 said:

oh no!

hopefully they don't drop you, it's hard to find a good ferrier...

plus this pretty girl would probably have to test the new one even more... they're like kids with a substitute teacher lol

Lol she would too! She’s feisty and loves to see what she can get away with. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Yes, we love Costa Maya. Our usual spot is Maya Chan, but they are closed next week, sooooo…the plan is to actually stay onboard and explore “gen-pop” areas of the ship.

Best of luck with that.  And you can't go to guest services afterwards and inquire about hazard OBC.