Waterproof shoes?

sss08pea25bee69

I think it will depend on what you are doing while on your cruise.  We opted for some waterproof Keens.  Our excursions include the following:

Helicopter ride and Dog Sledding (in snow)

Wildlife cruise

Seaplane & Taku Lodge

Zodiak ride & Fin Island Lodge

Bering Sea Fisherman tour

and walking around/time on our own in  Valdez and Haines

For us, it made sense to invest in the shoes because we know we will use them again in our regular home life.  We both have Keens from 5-7 years ago that have been well used.

Due to purchasing the shoes, we decided to use backpacks that we already owned to be our packs on port days.  They are water resistant but not fully waterproof.  We plan on using Camp Dry spray to add another layer of protection.  

• Like 2

I wear Brooks Ghost athletic shoes. They also make a model of Brooks Ghost that are Ghost GTX that are made of Gortex (waterproof). I have had these for probably 5 years and only wear them when it rains. Money well invested (about $160).

They have men's and women's: https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/womens-ghost-15-gtx-running-shoes/120382.html 

• Like 1

I have a very comfortable pair of waterproof walking shoes which have been used locally, in northern Europe, Iceland and South America.  Also well worth the investment.

But the back to the OP's question.  Whether you need waterproof footwear depends on what you plan to do.  If you plan to participate in active excursions then you most likely do need them.  And the dates of your trip fall in what historically is a rainy season.

46 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

And the dates of your trip fall in what historically is a rainy season.

And even historically rainy or dry seasons can encounter the opposite weather. In Alaska - prepare for rain and if you don't get it it, celebrate it.

21 minutes ago, Coral said:

And even historically rainy or dry seasons can encounter the opposite weather. In Alaska - prepare for rain and if you don't get it it, celebrate it.

I agree.  We were on an Alaska itinerary in June several years ago and the rain in Juneau verged on torrential.  Sheets of rain pounding down.  

Folks resistant to taking waterproof footwear need to consider how miserable they would be with soaking shoes.  Could they tolerate it or not?

• Like 2

A few years ago, I took an Alaskan cruise in September and it rained every day in all ports.  I took a pair of galoshes and poncho.  There were puddles everywhere.  My feet were dry.  I’m definitely taking galoshes again.