Memorial Day/Weekend in Waikiki

DCwom

We didn't realize when we booked the POA that we'd be in Oahu Memorial day weekend in 2024. Does anyone know what to NOT do or go Sat, Sun & Monday? I figure Pearl Harbor would have special services/events, which could be "must see or must avoid". Besides that is there anything else to know about the holiday weekend that's special the Honolulu?

We live on the NJ shore and know that the summer holiday weekends (Memorial Day, July 4th & Labor day) are best spent at home avoiding the beach, etc.

Just figure in the extra crowds and hang loose.

• Enjoy the Friday night Fireworks in front of the Hilton Hawaiian.  Good vantage points from Magic Island (Ala Moana Beach Park) without the crowds.  
  • Hike Diamond Head on Saturday or Sunday morning.  Plan to arrive when they open at 6am.  

We are booked on POA the  week before  (May 25 sailing) and I had initially looked to see if we could time the cruise to be in Honolulu on Memorial Day but it doesn’t work out for us.

I thought this special event - Floating Lantern Festival - would be fun to attend 

https://lanternfloatinghawaii.com

thanks Caribbean Bound for the tip on where to watch  fireworks. Do you know what time they usually start? I want to time our dinner earlier in the evening so we will have enough time to enjoy seeing them from the beach.

16 hours ago, Bluesmama said:

thanks Caribbean Bound for the tip on where to watch  fireworks. Do you know what time they usually start? I want to time our dinner earlier in the evening so we will have enough time to enjoy seeing them from the beach.

The HHV fireworks last about 4 minutes or so, maybe 5. They are not something I'd plan an evening around.

15 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The HHV fireworks last about 4 minutes or so, maybe 5. They are not something I'd plan an evening around.

Thanks so much - I had no idea so that’s helpful as I was planning around it!