Have you seen this on any other cruise lines? Is it becoming "the normal"?

SilverSax

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

So I'd guess that your answer to the OP is yes.  I'm so glad there are luxury cruislines that cater to people who don't want to rub elbows with Walmartians.  

yes this does all sound a bit snobby

Certainly in Australia (not sure about Australian cruise ships but on land so  I expect on ships here too ) responsible service of alcohol laws apply to all licenced serving everywhere (I have  a Responsible Service of Alcohol badge) - whether it is Walmart territory or upper crust exclusive clubs -  I doubt anywhere would be allowed to serve you a glass full of undiluted spirit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't comment on the other lines, but P&O Australia apply the responsible service of alcohol and limit number of drinks to (I think) 15 per day regardless if you have a package or if you charge to your cruise card. Never happened to us, but they also used to put a limit on the number of drinks per hour. Not sure if they still do as we have never been refused service. They also breathalize adult participants in adventure activities such as on board zip line, rock climbing, etc. to ensure they are under the blood alcohol limit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jsn55 said:

YUP, that's exactly what I'm saying.  I could fret about it, but I choose to consider prepaid gratuities and miscellaneous fees part of the cost of the cruise.  I tip as I always did for good service.  Usually $1 per drink, $2 per RS breakfast, $5-10 per MDR meal paid on the last night to whomever is serving us.  Cabin steward gets a total of $150-200 depending on the length of the cruise.  Please understand that bad service gets nothing. 

For me, it's a policy based on my personal feelings ... I want the crew members making my cruise so special to know how much I appreciate their efforts.  With airfare and pre/post hotels,  I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars.  The tips add up to a very small percentage, and I believe that they make a real difference in the lives of the crew.

Tips are supposed to be for good, extraordinary service. Shouldn't tips indicate that you have already received good service?

I admit that I ordinarily pre-pay my tips on a cruise. It galls me to do so because I haven't received anything yet. Good service, bad service, nothing.

I consider myself to be a "good cruiser". By that I mean I pay the expected gratuities, I don't smuggle alcohol on board, and I pay the outrageous beverage package prices. What I am pissed off about is the cruise line ignores the fact that I'm a good cruiser and I open my wallet up to them generously and yet I don't receive what I consider to be the minimum standards I've paid for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

This is what happens when you pay the same price for a cruise as you did 30 years ago.  Something has got to give.

If Royal Caribbean's price structure is unrealistic, let them change it. They seem to be doing ok though - Google has their value at $26.52 Billion. 

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

So what you are saying is that in order to get decent service on a ship you have to hand over a nice cash tip on top of the 18% tip that is built into the bill.  How much  do you consider a nice bribe (I meant tip) in order to get good service.

DON

We always give a dollar or two for each drink, yes it’s a bribe, yes it works.

• Like 4