On board credit question?

fudge

I have been with a well know travel agent in the UK for as far back as I remember, recently I went to book a cruise, I politely asked if they could offer on board credit? They replied "sorry the cruise line is not offering any on this cruise"

I am just wondering, do any travel agents offer OBC without the cruise line offering any? (not asking for names of course)

On recent cruises almost everyone we meet seems to enjoy OBC. 

In US.  I have been using the same on-line agency for over 20 years. 

Depending  on the cruise line and the length /price of the cruise I will usually get  a discount and also an on board credit or a “loyalty bonus” ( a check sent to me after the cruise.). 

Located in UK.

If I book with my well known agent I receive a maximum 12 % discount.

Sometimes I book with a US agent as they have special deals not available in UK - always also get an onboard credit. If you are going to do this you need to purchase future cruise credits on the ship in BOTH pounds and dollars as a travel agent can only use one that is in their own currency.

It’s worth saying keep an eye open for new promotions.  If credit is offered for bookings closer to sailing check wether you can also get the credit, we were able to do so for our sailing in June.

Remind me - I will have shipboard credit. Can I use that credit to book excursions BEFORE the cruise starts?  Or, can I only use the credit to book excursions AFTER the cruise starts?  thanks for your intel.

1 minute ago, Borna said:

Remind me - I will have shipboard credit. Can I use that credit to book excursions BEFORE the cruise starts?  Or, can I only use the credit to book excursions AFTER the cruise starts?  thanks for your intel.

It’s possible someone else may know better than I, but when I booked our shoreex the only obvious option was to pay by credit card.

24 minutes ago, Borna said:

If you book prior to sailing, you use your credit card to pay for the excursions.  You can wait until you board to use your ship board credits but run the risk of excursions not being available.  FYI, I purchased my excursions via credit card prior to boarding and was able to have my ship board credits credited back to my credit card upon boarding.  All you need to do is go to the Seabourn square and have one of the guest services team take care of this…easy peasy.  I’m assuming your shipboard credit will be redeemable towards your credit card.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

If you book prior to sailing, you use your credit card to pay for the excursions.  You can wait until you board to use your ship board credits but run the risk of excursions not being available.  FYI, I purchased my excursions via credit card prior to boarding and was able to have my ship board credits credited back to my credit card upon boarding.  All you need to do is go to the Seabourn square and have one of the guest services team take care of this…easy peasy.  I’m assuming your shipboard credit will be redeemable towards your credit card.

Nancy

thx