Ephesus - Terrace Houses - How Strenuous

Looking to book the Terrace Houses. How strenuous is it?  If I decide to do the Terrace Houses, can I just have a look or do I have to climb the stairs to take a look up above. Where does the guide drop you off?  

When I went, I was with a guide who walked thru the Terrace House with us.  There was no dropping off.  I do not know what you have arranged with your guide.

We entered the houses at the lowest level (ground level for the rest of Ephesus) and as you explore the houses, you gradually climb up sets of steps.  The steps are generally 5-10 steps or so at a time.  Then a viewing area.  A walkway.  Then more steps.  At the top of the terrace, we exited the building and walked back downhill on an asphalt pathway to a location at "ground level", not far from where we entered the building to begin the tour.

You can view videos on YouTube of what the experience is like.  You can see the steps in the videos.  This one shows good examples of the steps and walks.  There are plenty of places to linger and rest up for the next set of steps, if needed and if there isn't someone forcing you into some continued movement.

NOTE:  This post may be moved by the moderators to the Other Mediterranean Ports forum.  Ephesus is in Turkey, not Greece.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We toured the site last summer and we had a friend who used a cane.at the start of the tour the guide announced he would point out places for individuals to leave the tour. Midway the guide showed ourfriend a spot to return to the bottom  we are o. Our 70’s and the tour wasn’t strenuous at all.

Since I posted above, and after I viewed the entire video, I now recall that the path back down at the end of the tour is a series of many steps downward (as shown at the end of the video) and not an asphalt path.  Also, I seem to recall that our Ephesus tour guide actually turned our group over to a different guide who was already inside the Terrace Houses for that portion of the tour.  Then we rejoined our regular guide at the bottom of the hill after viewing the houses.  I could be wrong on that.  But I'm pretty sure we weren't just turned loose inside.  Someone what explaining things to us some.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

As already posted, the many stairs inside the Terrace Houses are in clusters of not too many, making climbing them much easier, and those inside are modern metal staircases. The exit stairs are a continuous run of (iirc) stone and a little more difficult.

All of Ephesus is somewhat difficult walking because of the highly varied paving stones, some broken and some sloping in unexpected directions.

• 2 months later...

In port today at Kusadasi on the Regent Navigator and did a tour of Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. The steps are not difficult but there are many of them and it is steep.  The steps are metal and have railings. The most difficult part was coming down on stone steps with little support. Here are a few photos.DSC_9419.thumb.jpeg.3b7ed17620356c00ce54ca66a2359379.jpegDSC_9422.thumb.jpeg.9b2eaf20ea93e9701af4884e600609bd.jpegDSC_9418.thumb.jpeg.f43cf5b83bf83982589dc9db6d73eb58.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 8:38 PM, Mkdvmz said:

I think the Terrace Houses are somewhat difficult for anyone with mobility issues, even bad arthritis. The stairs leading out of it, are steep and not user friendly for those in the Medicare group

This. The stairs in the the Terrace Houses are pretty easy. The stairs leading out are old stone stairs with no consistency. Some very deep and difficult. We have no problem but with any mobility difficulties but this is where some may have a problem.

24 minutes ago, JL87 said:

This. The stairs in the the Terrace Houses are pretty easy. The stairs leading out are old stone stairs with no consistency. Some very deep and difficult. We have no problem but with any mobility difficulties but this is where some may have a problem.

Yes, so you can get in and marvel and getting out is a nightmare!😂😂