Newbie Survives Specialty Restaurant Bookings

LSuzQ

Not a newbie on O but forgot to book “on time” for 2023 July Regatta trip. 30 hours later was able to secure 1 Polo Grill @8:30pm and 1 Toscana @8:00pm. Traveled in Concierge cabin. Was able to change Polo to 6:30 and Toscana to 7:00 once on board and was able to secure an additional Polo dinner for 7:00. For October, 2023 cruise in a PH, (online at 9:01 Pacific!),  managed to book the 4 specialties for 6:30, 7:00, 7:00 and 7:30 for 6 guests. Maybe these specialty bookings experiences are normal?!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lastdance said:

LSUZQ:

Oh my; I had no idea that it would be this difficult, especially at 12:01 AM.  Is that Eastern Time?  I am also a newbie with a DH that has stomach issues if he has to eat late.  I booked a PH1, hoping that the earliest times would be available.  If not, I would definitely have to think about canceling ahead of the 6 months before the cruise.  I hate all these tiny little details, especially having to stay up late just to book dinner reservations on a cruise, but nothing is ever simple. 

Sorry, off topic

Edited by FetaCheese

I’ve been on many Oceania cruises and never pre-booked for dinner. Once onboard you can find the dinner reservation desk and give them your preferences. I have often called a restaurant and been able to get same evening reservations. If all else fails, try to meet the food and beverage manager and express your difficulty and ask if he or she will please help you. . It has been my experience that tables magically appear at the desired times. 

2 hours ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

I am on your cruise as well! Glad your reservations went well, hope you got good days too.  Can’t believe it’s only 45 days out!

2 hours ago, BrakeawayTakeaway said:

I am on your cruise as well! Glad your reservations went well, hope you got good days too.  Can’t believe it’s only 45 days out!

Thanks! Getting excited. Enjoy your cruise! Some new ports for us, and some old favorites. Great combination.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TravelLoverbySea said:

If all else fails, try to meet the food and beverage manager and express your difficulty and ask if he or she will please help you. . It has been my experience that tables magically appear at the desired times. 

They are probably trying to avoid this situation by having the reservation system that people book in advance

JMO

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I second checking with the reservations desk once you get on board.  I'm not sure what was up with our last cruise, but we could only get 9pm bookings, and that included shared.  Anyway, one conflicted with an excursion I booked after I made the reservations online, so when I went to change the day onboard, I got a 6:30 2-top on a different day, which was a sea day.  I have also gotten improved times or dates checking back periodically.

• Like 2

We are traveling with friends in October, was able to easily get 7:30 dinner reservations for both specialty restaurants (Nautica) for the 2 reservations we were guaranteed for each. We ahvealso found that going to the restaurants or res desk while eon board also can work wonders.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:16 PM, maadimom said:

I think we are on the same cruise.  This is also our first time with Oceania.  It was indeed a frenzy.  My husband is a type 1 diabetic and needs to eat earlier than 8:30-9:00.  That was pretty much all that was available for 2.  I chose the sharing as I’m not opposed to it.  We will have three nights at 7-7:30 sharing and one night at 7 for two.  I know it will be fine.  Some of my best friends have been made back in the day where everyone shared.  I will take the above advice and keep checking however.

We are also in a B3 extended balcony.  

I had trouble getting appropriate times for dining for our family group of three. One family member cannot eat late for medical reasons, and pre-dinner snacks don't help. Just cannot eat food closer to bedtime. I will try the Deck 5 reservations desk. Thanks for the tips!