Princess Canada Greenland cruise

testerlady

On 8/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, testerlady said:

Are the ports in Greenland worth seeing?

Whether a port is "worth seeing" is an individualized perception based on one's personal values. Greenland ports are remote places, and one should anticipate places lesser visited and not oriented towards tourists.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

Whether a port is "worth seeing" is an individualized perception based on one's personal values. Greenland ports are remote places, and one should anticipate places lesser visited and not oriented towards tourists.

I agree. Many go to Antarctica as a bucket list destination. Those cruises are very $$$$ and don't even go to the mainland, but just to islands off the mainland. Look at it this way, if you depart from the east coast of the US, it's not too $$, and you actually go to the mainland of Greenland, And native people reside there. There's a culture to experience and learn about. I think these reasons make it more than "worth seeing".

• Like 1

@testerlady

We are debating about the 8/11/2024 on Emerald Princess since Newfoundland is on our bucket list and Celebrity cancelled their St. John's port stop due to "traffic congestion". So we cancelled the 8/16/2024 Iceland-Boston cruise that stopped there. Ironically enough, the Princess cruise, which was also scheduled to be there that same day as the Eclipse, now seems to have switched St. John's NF to St. John NB! But Princess still goes to Corner Brook and St. Anthony's NF + 3 stops in Greenland. However, 9 sea days is a lot for us and it could turn out to be even more given sea conditions and tendering. But that Princess itinerary is very intriguing!

Edited by TMLAalum

14 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@testerlady

We are debating about the 8/11/2024 on Emerald Princess since Newfoundland is on our bucket list and Celebrity cancelled their St. John's port stop due to "traffic congestion". So we cancelled the 8/16/2024 Iceland-Boston cruise that stopped there. Ironically enough, the Princess cruise, which was also scheduled to be there that same day as the Eclipse, now seems to have switched St. John's NF to St. John NB! But Princess still goes to Corner Brook and St. Anthony's NF + 3 stops in Greenland. However, 9 sea days is a lot for us and it could turn out to be even more given sea conditions and tendering. But that Princess itinerary is very intriguing!

I'm due to leave for Greenland next month on Royal Caribbean. It has 9 sea days as well with 5 ports. Halifax, 3 in Greenland and St. John's Newfoundland.

A few years back we did Hawaii on Princess which also had 9 sea days. It was so relaxing, yet there was plenty to do onboard that we were never board. I envy you on Princess. I'll bet they do a really nice enrichment program for Greenland, as they did on our Hawaiian and Alaskan cruises. Enjoy!

Edited by roomba920

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just got back from Caribbean Princess 16 day (9 sea days) August 14- Aug 30.

The cruise was nice, seas calm, weather cool, one day and 1 half day, cold and rainy. Otherwise the weather was good. We went from NYC to halifax, Sydney NS, Nuuk Greenland, and nanortalik and Qarqortoc (sp)  then St John's Newfoundland. St John's is really Awesome, however the day was short, being back on board at 3:30, Greenland ports are not touristy and the infrastructure is not good. However, you are in places rarely visited by tourists, and few locals speak any English. The locals are native and everything is real --- No diamonds international yet.  Princess excursions are few and extremely $$$, however you can find local excursions... NOTE: Stay away from GUIDETOGREENLAND tours. They took our money, didn't show up with the boat for our excursion, said the boat was broken the day before, have not issued any refund. WE ARE DISPUTING. 

Legend tours in St. Johns VERY GOOD, Tour booth in Nanortalik was $100 US for a one hour iceberg tour. Less than princess.  It was a very nice trip, but they say only 10% make all three greenland ports,

We did, Nuuk has a port, the other 2 villages require a long shuttle 

Thanks,

Karen

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 3:03 PM, kccruiseagain said:

Stay away from GUIDETOGREENLAND tours. They took our money, didn't show up with the boat for our excursion, said the boat was broken the day before, have not issued any refund. WE ARE DISPUTING.

Guide to Greenland is not, itself, a tour operator; it is a third-party sales platform. Rarely will you find any actual tour operator offering so many distinctive tours. The failure of a vessel might cause the actual tour operator to cancel a tour. So is the complaint against the tour operator, either for faulty vessel maintenance or for being untruthful about its vessel being "broken"? If so, do you know the name of the tour operator? Or is the complaint that the third party sales platform failed to pass along the refund timely, or possibly kept the refund for itself? It is important to know the reason(s) for advising to do business with this entity, and for who is actually at fault.

We did go ahead and take this cruise. I guess what I meant by worth it is if there was anything to see there. It sounds like there is, I don't care if there's a lot of touristy stuff, just something different than what I'd see in the US. The rest of the cruise sounds great, too.

• 1 month later...

We are booked on the Emerald Princess for August 11 2024. Our main concern would be the bugs in August. We have driven to Churchill Falls Labrador and in the summer you need to wear a bug screen to protect your head as they are very plentiful at that time of year. We travel to Newfoundland once a year and looking at ship tours you would be better to hire a local cab to see places like St. Johns NL. I rec0mmend seeing Signal Hill and doing a self walk tour of George Street  as they are close to the ship.