NOW I have a problem with the new Suite policies

sixpackeddie

32 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

On Millie last week, I had to pay $13.99 in Luminae for the MDR lobser tail added to my filet.  They said they had just started the upcharge that very night and were very apologetic about it.  I have no idea if there was a charge in MDR or not - I assume there was.

Was lobster on the menu with the filet?  So in other words they didn't allow you to order 2 mains?  

17 minutes ago, jelayne said:

So being in s suite got you a $3 discount over the price for a 2nd in the MDR.😮,  Not much of a Suite Life.

There were several other plusses that I considered well worth it.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Was lobster on the menu with the filet?  So in other words they didn't allow you to order 2 mains?  

Luminae doesn't have a broiled lobster tail entree similar to the MDRs; luminae's version is a poached lobster tail out of the shell which I posted two versions of the same dish from two different ships. Since I am new to Retreat Class I can't comment if previously there was an upcharge to add a broiled lobster tail to an existing Luminae entree. Not can I comment if previously they had a charge if you requested two poached lobster tails on the same plate for the Luminae's version of lobster. 

original_da3a508f-3f74-4b3d-ad48-b7f71d048a93_PXL_20220304_010813562.jpg

12 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

No, lobster was not on the luminae menu that night.  Later in the week, there was a butter poached lobster entree on the luminae menu.  Other nights, our server insisted we try other entrees and desserts so we hated to hurt his feelings!  Lack of food was not the problem!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

That actually is a huge change for Luminae.  I cannot recall anybody ever posting about an extra charge there for lobster or anything else.

Part of my motivation was to see what happened.  There has been so much back and forth about lobster for the past several months, I wanted to see if I could get it in Luminae.  My wife also ordered shrimp cocktail several nights from MDR which was not a problem and was included.

9 hours ago, hcat said:

one nice thing about BLU is that you can easily get entrees not buried in sauces..on the side is an option or none..  

sorry this is OFF TOPIC!

This is the case even in the MDR. I have done this many times.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Umm, who is responsible for the overall guest satisfaction with the Retreat experience? My own experience is the Retreat Manager was pivotal to making sure everything went smoothly or was troubleshooted depending on perspective. 

We did 2 sailings on Millie in sky suites in Jan 2016 and Jan 2017. In 2016 X had not introduced Retreat Managers. We were back on Millie in 2017 with a Retreat Manager. X had added the Retreat Manager, but removed 2 butlers. One from each side of deck 6. The story was that the Retreat Manager was there to solve problems so the Butlers could take care of guests. We have sailing in sky suite 8 to 10 times. Only once did I talk to a Retreat Manager.

28 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

Part of my motivation was to see what happened.  There has been so much back and forth about lobster for the past several months, I wanted to see if I could get it in Luminae.  My wife also ordered shrimp cocktail several nights from MDR which was not a problem and was included.

I'm just trying to make sure I've got this right. They charged you for the lobster that was an extra charge item on the MDR menu? The shrimp cocktail would have been a no extra charge MDR item?

I have mixed feelings about that. I kind of get it, and kind of don't. They may literally not have a way to order the MDR "Premium Selections" without charging them to a customer (or no simple way). On the other hand, I've never known them to charge in Luminae. But they didn't charge you for an on-menu item from Luminae, which is how I originally read your post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markeb said:

I'm just trying to make sure I've got this right. They charged you for the lobster that was an extra charge item on the MDR menu? The shrimp cocktail would have been a no extra charge MDR item?

I have mixed feelings about that. I kind of get it, and kind of don't. They may literally not have a way to order the MDR "Premium Selections" without charging them to a customer (or no simple way). On the other hand, I've never known them to charge in Luminae. But they didn't charge you for an on-menu item from Luminae, which is how I originally read your post.

These everyday upcharge items on the MDR menu are still quite new so I’m not sure any prior experiences would be helpful. 

I would be curious to know if on lobster night whether there are any charges to Luminae guests. Or if there are any charges for anything on the included menus. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

I paid $13.99 in Luminae for the lobster tail off the MDR menu for the night they had lobster tail in the MDR.  I am assuming it was also an upcharge in MDR for the tail.  They said it was the first night they implemented this change.  Shrimp cocktail was not on the Luminae menu, so we asked for it several times from the MDR and were not charged anything additional for that.

5 minutes ago, jbcallender said:

I paid $13.99 in Luminae for the lobster tail off the MDR menu for the night they had lobster tail in the MDR.  I am assuming it was also an upcharge in MDR for the tail.  They said it was the first night they implemented this change.  Shrimp cocktail was not on the Luminae menu, so we asked for it several times from the MDR and were not charged anything additional for that.

Lobster tail is currently on the MDR menu every night for an upcharge (which is fairly new) but it is still included without an upcharge on the formal lobster night in the MDR.  Was it the formal night where lobster traditionally is served or another night?

19 hours ago, jbcallender said:

On Millie, Luminae had a butter poached lobster on the menu one night later in the cruise.  On the night formerly known as "lobster night" which was also the first "chic" night, I had Luminae add a lobster from the MDR to the filet and paid a $13.99 upcharge.  Those were the only lobster opportunities I saw....

Inquiring minds want to know. If Luminae is adding or offering upcharges to its menu. Is the upcharge product better quality of lobster or steak than what is being offered on the Luminae menu. As Luminae has a limited menu on the E Class ships. Will we have those options on the E Class ships. As the MDR kitchen is not close to Luminae and its kitchen on E Class ships.

Edited by bigbenboys
added info

On 8/16/2023 at 8:40 AM, sixpackeddie said:

We are currently on the Reflection in an upper level suite. We have sailed in upper suites before and know what has been included and what’s not.

We just pushed off Olympia Greece, tired from the sun and was hoping to order dinner from Lawn Club Grill and enjoy on our balcony. Spoke to butler and this is no longer allowed for any suites. Only room service from Lumaine is available. 
Asked about other changes an also learnt Sky suites will not be stocked with alcohol. If you order alcohol to your Sky Suite or Aqua Sky Suite you will be charged per the room service menu.

There are currently only 3 butlers on our ship that take care of Celebrity Suites and above. All the Sky suites are being taken care of by 2 Butlers from Michael’s Club. 
I confirmed that prior to this cruise there were 9 butlers in total, and have trimmed to 5, so they cut 4 total from the Solstice Class ships.

We will be considering different options going forward as we typically cruise in Sky suites 80% of the time. With these changes considering the costs of a Sky Suite we will look elsewhere.

Currently in Luminae, having a great dinner French onion soup from Opus, tuna tartare and the delicious veggie Lasagna. When I saw the menu for Opus noticed the additional charges for the items at the bottom of the menu.

I asked if this was included for suite guest in Luminae and was told by our server that Sky Suite & Aqua Class & Sky suites must pay per pricing on Menu. Since we are in upper suite it is included. 
image.thumb.jpeg.677dcb904e407e30e5b70a7f9b166199.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Currently in Luminae, having a great dinner French onion soup from Opus, tuna tartare and the delicious veggie Lasagna. When I saw the menu for Opus noticed the additional charges for the items at the bottom of the menu.

I asked if this was included for suite guest in Luminae and was told by our server that Sky Suite & Aqua Class & Sky suites must pay per pricing on Menu. Since we are in upper suite it is included. 

So, more cutbacks and X going the way of RC without the families....at least for now but who knows! Thanks for the real time update on the butler situation. 2 butlers for all Aqua and Sky's, not sure how that will work, and we haven't had any butlers in Michaels Club/Retreat on previous cruisers other than afternoon tea served by the suite butlers and now no ordering off other menus when it was available. Disappointing as we have the Connie for 12N in Dec 2023 and 11N on Eclipse in Sept 2024 in Sky Suite. Likely time to reevaluate. 

16 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, sixpackeddie said:

Is this the Luminae menu?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tfred said:

Is this the Luminae menu?

No, this is the Opus menu next door. I always ask to see the main dining room menus as there can be some good items. From our past experience we have always been able to order from the main dining room menu. Now if you are in a sky suite or celebrity suite you have to pay additional. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sixpackeddie said:

No, this is the Opus menu next door. I always ask to see the main dining room menus as there can be some good items. From our past experience we have always been able to order from the main dining room menu. Now if you are in a sky suite or celebrity suite you have to pay additional. 

The only items you have to pay extra for are ones that in the past were not available every day in Luminae or the MDR, unless I am misunderstanding you. 

On 8/16/2023 at 10:17 AM, terrydtx said:

On the Equinox in June there were no lobsters available any night in Luminae.

We had wonderful Maine lobsters as many as you want in NCL Haven cruise few months ago for fraction of the Retreat price. It seems that in some itineraries Celebrity is priced themself out from other competitors. Sad. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

We are in reflection suite, having a great time, love the location, balcony. Food and staff are amazing have not really noticed any change other then a but  disappointed we could not order from specialty restaurant to our suite. It’s really not a huge deal but was able to order on our past cruises when in upper suite. Again staff here is phenomenal, food and service is great. It would be great to hear feedback from clients that are in sky suites to see how these changes have affected their experience.

You are in the top suite on the ship and they wouldn’t let you order from a speciality restaurant???  Wow, that was one of the things I loved about being in a top suite! If they won’t cater a bit to their highest paying guests, I’m afraid to see what’s coming next for all the passengers. I have been faithful to Celebrity for many years but I’m seriously looking at other lines. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

We had wonderful Maine lobsters as many as you want in NCL Haven cruise few months ago for fraction of the Retreat price. It seems that in some itineraries Celebrity is priced themself out from other competitors. Sad. 

After loyal RC and X customers (Diamond +/Elite+) we have begun evaluating Oceana, Viking, NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club for future cruises or just going to land tours.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Pre Pandemic NCL had all you can eat whole Maine lobsters in the buffet! It was crazy but in a good way. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, terrydtx said:

What I figured would happen, how about the premium bottled water like Evian, do you have to get that as well from the Retreat lounge? Every one of our past Retreat cruises our fridge was kept filled with beer, wine and water by our butlers.

Ours have been filled too. The only thing the butler is bringing in is the canned water. 

13 hours ago, sixpackeddie said:

Yes we were told the exact same thing. I thought it was sky suites only but must be for celebrity suites too. I hope you are enjoying your cruise, we were in a Sky Suite on the Apex in June and really enjoyed the ship and the excellent crew. 

The crew is wonderful! But after so many wonderful retreat experiences, this one has taken a little to get used to. The retreat concierges are amazing!!!!! But we see our butler once a day if we’re lucky. The retreat lounge is often full. And dinner in Luminae is often loud and crowded. 

• Like 1