Would anyone like to read feedback after my first ever HAL Cruise?

SSBrickNJ

21 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

So that's very helpful. Thank you.

IF a couple comes back from hiking or kayaking or something like that. The ship requires everyone on board by 4pm....the ship sails at 4:30pm.

OK? I've set the table for my point...

So we come back to the ship at the required time and we don't feel like popcorn and we are tired from physical and enjoyable fun.....so....THIS is the perfect example when we want to not shower immediately and get ready for the Main Dining Room...we've "played hard" and we want some real food in the casual setting.

Yet....the Lido is closed until 5:30pm.

Are other cruise lines the same?....or maybe some of their Lido's are open by 5pm? 🤔

This has been our experience on several of our most recent cruises. DH and I just go "hm, really?" On port days with the oddly timed 4ish All Aboard, it us a bit inconvenient. 

Not so much to ruin my cruise or have me run complaining 🤔 but is noteworthy. 

Could you request dinner room service before leaving for you fun day?  Totally understand.  I'm not sure at what time you can order the MDR menu for room service, but the 24 hour room service may be a possibility.     

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pmjnh said:

Dive-In is open in throughout the afternoon. On our last cruise we had late dinner seating and DH found he needed a snack around 4:30. Dive in was a good option.

You mean we might be forced to eat the very best french fries on the high seas for a late afternoon snack - with cheese sauce, secret sauce, peanut sauce and/or plain. What a hardship. I shall struggle through this if I can only make my final sauce decision ...... 🥲 Boy oh boy, do they sound good right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

This has been our experience on several of our most recent cruises. DH and I just go "hm, really?" On port days with the oddly timed 4ish All Aboard, it us a bit inconvenient. 

Not so much to ruin my cruise or have me run complaining 🤔 but is noteworthy. 

Agreed. We had a good time.  I brought it up here on the thread because as you say,  it " is noteworthy ".   

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

You mean we might be forced to eat the very best french fries on the high seas for a late afternoon snack - with cheese sauce, secret sauce, peanut sauce and/or plain. What a hardship. I shall struggle through this if I can only make my final sauce decision ...... 🥲 Boy oh boy, do they sound good right now.

Seriously!!!! True struggle 😋

we were on the Noordam a few weeks ago  and the Dive In ran out of their crispy naked fries.....it was very disappointing ...had to chose regular boring friench fries!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Peanut sauce😮.  I didn’t know you could get peanut sauce.  What a revelation - this changes everything 😁

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, USN59-79 said:

Thanks.  That sounds fair.  I think pre-covid HAL would have been higher, but we have experienced it before and after.  We have decided to try Seabourn for our next cruise.

Ray

You will love Seabourn.  Have been sailing it for over 20 years.  I just booked HAL for the first time for a cruise with my mom and sister next year so that the three of us can be in one suite comfortably together, and need a port of embarkation/disembarkation that we can drive to due to my mother’s more limited mobility, and we were looking for a cruise with lots of activities, venues to hang out in on board, and dining options.  (We booked the Neptune Suite that will accommodate us in one suite and I like the benefits it includes.) I will tell you that so far, with the drink packages, it looks similar in cost to what my husband I spend on Seabourn, per person, (in a regular veranda suite, not a premium suite) and will no doubt be more given the extra / upcharges. There are no extra charges on SB for anything other than super premium wines, spa services and excursions.  All tips are included.  Caviar is included.  Lobster is plentiful and included.  BUT SB is not for everyone as there are limited activities and entertainment; it is definitely more sedate.  I am very much looking forward to a fun “girls” trip and lots of memories to be made.  

On 8/18/2023 at 12:37 PM, AFNavigator said:

I just threw out the generic Game Show concept as something fun that can be offered to interested passengers.  Tailored to the appropriate audience, some of these types of activities can be quite entertaining….

We had several excellent Cruise Directors in the past who made the Game Shows, Marriage Game, etc., hilarious and very entertaining. For those memorable ones, it was standing room only.

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

We had several excellent Cruise Directors in the past who made the Game Shows, Marriage Game, etc., hilarious and very entertaining. For those memorable ones, it was standing room only.

Thanks... that's exactly what I was talking about.  The "standing room only" turnout definitely shows there was interest in those activities.  They also can be almost no-cost to put on, beyond the staff time needed to host the events.  If it's just a fun event, you don't really even need prizes.

• Like 1

I so agree about having more games. We were on a cruise in January in Antarctica and Holland put together

a game show with 5 crew called 'WHO AM I'

it lasted about 45 mins and was one of the most enjoyable pieces of entertainment we had.

Wish we would see more of these games on Holland.

• Like 1