Which Cruise Line?

Kudos2Fly

We are looking in to doing a Med. cruise probably in fall of 2007. The question I have is which cruise line is best to sail on? And which has the best ports of call. I know this is a opinion of what people think. But I would like to what people think.

Kim

I prefer Princess, and, HAL. It was posted a week or so ago, that these lines had the best medical facilities on board. I have never been to the Med., but for this you could do worse than contacting Oceana. I have not been on this line, but I have its video. john

You probably have another month or two before the schedules are all posted. I say look for an itinerary that hits the ports you are most interested in seeing and if you do a one way, pick beginning and ending ports you may want to spend an extra day or two or three in. We chose Oceania for our Med cruise this June, they have a Rome to Istanbul itinerary that nobody else seemed to have. We also liked the smaller ship size and any time, country club casual dining option for this port intensive a cruise. The Med cruises seem to fill up and the prices go up, so I'd also book early.

Another vots for Oceania--we've done two different Med itineraries with them, and I'm reluctant to sail with any other line. We love the size of the ships (684 passengers), the friendly staff, the excellent food, the open seating dining, the port intensive itineraries, the local tourism staff who board at every port.

Personally I do not believe that cruise line is particularly important on a Mediterranean cruise. They usually are so port intensive that I would choose based on itinerary instead. In addition, if you plan to extend your vacation by spending a few days before and/or after the cruise, you might want to consider where it starts/ends. For example, Barcelona is not only a great city to explore, it also has a convenient port where as Rome is also a great city to visit, but the port is quite a distance away.

Archived