Help Needed on Entry Requirements

Wendylet

I am booked on the Nov 2023 sailing on the Orion from Bali to Sydney. I must say I am extremely confused about the Visa, ETA and covid testing requirements for both Indonesia and Australia. Waiting on my TA to get back to me but I thought I would ask the experts here. I find the information in my invoice and on the link supplied to be confusing. I did receive information from Viking saying that they do not require vaccinations as of Nov 1 so I assume no test either for embarkation? Can anyone confirm that for me and what the requirements are for entry into Indonesia as well as Australia? Your help here is most appreciated! (Also new to Viking and so excited)!

We did Australia over the holidays and you will need to get an electronic travel authority (ETA) to visit Australia, https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601 It was super easy to do with the app on your phone & you'll get a response very quickly. It is good for three months. Currently Australia does not require Covid testing to enter the country.

Can't speak to requirements for Canadian citizens, but the Indonesian e-visa process itself was quite easy and straightforward.  And there is an electronic customs declaration as well at the Denpasar airport.  Suggest you go to the Indonesian govt website for their specifics.

Much thanks to everyone for your assistance. So if I get the ETA how is it presented to the Australian authorities? Do I pass it along to Viking or am I presenting it in the first Australian port? Thank you again for all your help. 

6 minutes ago, Wendylet said:

Much thanks to everyone for your assistance. So if I get the ETA how is it presented to the Australian authorities? Do I pass it along to Viking or am I presenting it in the first Australian port? Thank you again for all your help. 

On the world cruise, we had to present hard copies of all our visas to Viking’s Explorer desk.  

The Australia ETA application is phone app based (at least for US), so you'll have your approved ETA on your phone, but they also recommend printing a copy.  It was $20 USD and good for a year, so add some time in Sydney/Australia after your cruise if you can!  Bon Voyage!

On our New Zealand to Australia trip we had to show Viking we had all the appropriate ETAs when we were boarding in New Zealand. It's was all on our phones & very easy. We did not have to show it again, even at Australia passport control since it is connected to your passport number.

8 hours ago, auntieS said:

The Australia ETA application is phone app based (at least for US), so you'll have your approved ETA on your phone, but they also recommend printing a copy.  It was $20 USD and good for a year, so add some time in Sydney/Australia after your cruise if you can!  Bon Voyage!

Thank so much for that. I will search out the app and proceed accordingly. 

6 hours ago, katlew said:

On our New Zealand to Australia trip we had to show Viking we had all the appropriate ETAs when we were boarding in New Zealand. It's was all on our phones & very easy. We did not have to show it again, even at Australia passport control since it is connected to your passport number.

Thank you so much. 

I know Viking is dropping the Covid vaccination requirement as of Nov 1 so I assume no testing is required to board? Does anyone know if there is any vaccination or testing requirement for either Indonesia or Australia? I am finding conflicting information and I’m not sure if websites are really current or not. Including what Viking has on their website regarding testing. Help is most appreciated. 

Most if not all countries have dropped testing and vaccination requirements, including Australia. 

COVID-19 and travel | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care

Travelling to Australia | COVID-19 information | Qantas

Many tour companies/cruise lines are dropping testing and vaccination requirements, including Viking.

Viking Health & Safety Program (vikingrivercruises.com)

It's getting harder to find info about Covid requirements, because there aren't any more, but if you google "country X covid entry requirements" or similar, then look for an official site (.gov, .uk, .eu, .au, etc) that should be most accurate.  I also use the country's "national" airline website for entry requirements.  

Not sure if there's a Canadian equivalent, but I also use travel.state.gov -> international travel -> learn about destination -> type in country -> country info inc entry/visa requirements and health requirements (remember this site gives travel visa requirements for US citizens, but usually lists links to the other country's official sites where you can hopefully find info for your country.  I see Indonesia info on this site, but I'll let you explore further on your own :-)

Viking should be sending you visa info as well, including their 3rd party visa service if applicable and you choose to use instead of doing yourself (the Australia e-visa is "easy" (the hardest part was taking my self photo) and I think e-visa was the only way to get the "regular traveler" visa.  If you don't have any hotel nights in country X, I guess you use the Viking cruise local office/port(?) address if asked, but check with Viking on that! (My Australia trip was a land tour.))

I would still "bring" your vaccination card (or phone/paper copy) even if "not required".  

Enjoy!

Just checked MVJ for my own upcoming cruise--looks like the Travel Requirements info is boilerplate instead of specific to each cruise and the Guest Docs/Visa info not very helpful (directs you to their 3rd party visa service, but doesn't actually mention which visas needed for your specific cruise.)  That said, we did receive separate mail/email (my sis is taking care of our stuff) that did give specific info for the visa needed for our cruise.  

The boilerplate flyer for Travel Requirements does say that even though Australia (country as a whole) doesn't require testing, that some Australian states are still requiring pre cruise testing (I've found Viking not that up to date about certain things, so you may want to look at updated "official" websites separate from Viking.)  In any case, the flyer says you can take a self antigen test, as long as you can document when you took it (within 24 hrs of your embarkation.  Oops, this may be more applicable to you:  if you arrive in Australia already on your cruise, Viking will arrange testing.)  Ask your TA/Viking agent if this testing will still be required by the time of your cruise?

Thank you for the assistance with the Australian Visa.

For travel to New Zealand does anyone know if cruise ship passengers should obtain the $17NZD Visa or the more expensive visa? Does anyone have that webpage or app info so I can obtain the New Zealand Visa. 

I think in early 2020 I made a mistake and paid for the expensive one.  Any help with the New Zealand Visa for cruise ship passengers would greatly be appreciated. 

Whoops!  Excuse me Heidi13, I missed your post further up, with Canadian link which would be more directly helpful for Wendylet!

Thanks Katlew, yes to clarify my first post, the Australian ETA is good for 12 mo (multiple entries), but you can only stay in Australia for 3 mo at a time.

Trevelingwithstyle, entry requirements to other countries for US citizens can be found through  travel.state.gov as I detailed above.  For NZ you are directed to Information about NZeTA: New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority | Immigration New Zealand  .  US is visa waiver country so you don't need a visa but you do need a NZeTA.  They push you towards the $17 NZD phone app but you can do the $23 online application if you really want.  Buried in the online application is info about additional $35 International Visitor Levy (for conservation and tourism infrastructure) which is paid with your NZeTA, so at least $52 NZD total?

5 hours ago, auntieS said:

Whoops!  Excuse me Heidi13, I missed your post further up, with Canadian link which would be more directly helpful for Wendylet!

Thanks Katlew, yes to clarify my first post, the Australian ETA is good for 12 mo (multiple entries), but you can only stay in Australia for 3 mo at a time.

Trevelingwithstyle, entry requirements to other countries for US citizens can be found through  travel.state.gov as I detailed above.  For NZ you are directed to Information about NZeTA: New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority | Immigration New Zealand  .  US is visa waiver country so you don't need a visa but you do need a NZeTA.  They push you towards the $17 NZD phone app but you can do the $23 online application if you really want.  Buried in the online application is info about additional $35 International Visitor Levy (for conservation and tourism infrastructure) which is paid with your NZeTA, so at least $52 NZD total?

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate the assistance.  

Thanks to everyone for this wonderful feedback. I will lean on my TA for covid requirement information as well. The ETA and Visa requirements seem quite clear now and, yes, I find the Viking information to be less than helpful and perhaps not even current!