Lactose Intolerance

mame42

2 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Is lactose free milk available onboard most HAL ships?  If so, how does one request it?  Thanks for any info; this is a recently acquired condition.

I was able to find it at the buffet and in the MDR.  The lactose-free milk and other non-dairy milks (almond, coconut, soy) were found by the gluten free section of the buffet.

Also, be sure to fill out the special accommodations form prior to your cruise to ensure that there will be lactose free milk onboard.  I fill it out requesting gluten free options for every cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, disneyochem said:

I was able to find it at the buffet and in the MDR.  The lactose-free milk and other non-dairy milks (almond, coconut, soy) were found by the gluten free section of the buffet.

Also, be sure to fill out the special accommodations form prior to your cruise to ensure that there will be lactose free milk onboard.  I fill it out requesting gluten free options for every cruise.

Many thanks for the info.

13 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I have mild lactose intolerance and one of the things that does me in is ice cream.  Do they have any lactose free ice cream substitutes? Because a lot of desserts look like they are much better with ice cream.

Sadly lact-aid doesn't seem to work for me.

I think I’ve seen sorbets? 

15 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I have mild lactose intolerance and one of the things that does me in is ice cream.  Do they have any lactose free ice cream substitutes? Because a lot of desserts look like they are much better with ice cream.

Have you tried the Breyers lactose free ice cream?  

2 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Do they have that onboard?

Good question.  HAL tries to meet everyone’s dietary requirements if you notify them prior to cruising.  Since they offer lactose free milk, maybe they should consider offering the same in ice cream.  

• Like 1

Funnily enough speaking of milk we used to get ours delivered every day to our doorstep by Ernie,who drove the fastest milk cart in the West.

Now Ernie loved a widow, a lady known as Sue,

who lived all alone in Lindley Lane at number 22.
They said she was too good for him, she was haughty, proud and chic
But Ernie got his cocoa there three times every week.

She said she'd like to bathe in milk, he said, "All right, sweetheart,"
And when he'd finished work one night he loaded up his cart.

He said, " D'you want it pasteurized 'cos pasteurized is best ? "
She says, " Ernie I'll be happy if it comes up to me chest. "

Sadly I start singing that ditty every time I open a carton of milk.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1xvyTdBZI

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:35 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

On the Rotterdam a few months ago there was a sign at the ice cream section of Lido that vegan (may have said non-dairy) ice cream available upon request. It was dark chocolate and very good. On the K’dam last spring they were out of it each time I asked but did have sorbet, which I’m not so sure was true sorbet. Would not surprise me if it was actually sherbet. I have had no issues on any HAL sailings getting non-dairy milk. There is often vegan cheese for pizza, and cream cheese for bagels, if you ask. The Pinnacle class ships have more options, in my experience. 

• Like 1