Wheelchair assistance boarding at departure port

fair-winds39

We will be leaving from New York (Manhattan) cruise terminal on a Carnival cruise in October. One in our group has requested wheelchair assistance through Carnival’s Special Needs Dept. to board the ship. Does he report to a certain area in the terminal, or how does it work? I’m guessing he just goes to the area in most terminals where folks who may require assistance are seated Thanks in advance.

As soon as you get to the terminal, advise a Carnival representive that wheelchair assistance is needed.  They will steer you in the right direction, which typically means you will be waiting in an area where other passengers who have requested wheelchair assistance are waiting.   I don't know about Manhattan, but at many terminals the port employees (the ones who load your luggage on to cart) will assist with wheelchair pushing.   You can advise one of these port employees and they will either get a wheelchair and do the pushing (up to where they are allowed to go, then a Carnival pusher takes over) or they will tell you to go inside the terminal and advise a Carnival representative.  

Tips are appreciated by the pusher(s).   

This is direct from Carnival's website:

WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE

Each terminal has a limited supply of wheelchairs used to transport guests on and off the ship, so we are unable to loan you our wheelchairs for the duration of the cruise. If you need wheelchair assistance for boarding the ship, please contact one of our representatives once you arrive at the cruise terminal. Assistance will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. For assistance with debarkation, instructions on where to meet will be provided the last evening of your cruise.

3 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

As soon as you get to the terminal, advise a Carnival representive that wheelchair assistance is needed.  They will steer you in the right direction, which typically means you will be waiting in an area where other passengers who have requested wheelchair assistance are waiting.   I don't know about Manhattan, but at many terminals the port employees (the ones who load your luggage on to cart) will assist with wheelchair pushing.   You can advise one of these port employees and they will either get a wheelchair and do the pushing (up to where they are allowed to go, then a Carnival pusher takes over) or they will tell you to go inside the terminal and advise a Carnival representative.  

Tips are appreciated by the pusher(s).   

This is direct from Carnival's website:

WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE

Each terminal has a limited supply of wheelchairs used to transport guests on and off the ship, so we are unable to loan you our wheelchairs for the duration of the cruise. If you need wheelchair assistance for boarding the ship, please contact one of our representatives once you arrive at the cruise terminal. Assistance will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. For assistance with debarkation, instructions on where to meet will be provided the last evening of your cruise.

Thank you.

I've used wheelchair assistance on Celebrity both in Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) and San Juan - I just let the person I first see know and they were more than willing to help.  In Florida there were two pushers - one from the port and one from the ship, while in San Juan it was the same person from the curb right to the cabin.

Bottom line - they were all very helpful and considerate!

• Like 2