COMPARING SEABOURN AND SILVERSEA CRUISES

USCAdventurer

• March 17, 2016
  • Scottsdale, 

i am booked on two crysta cruises now and i had an experience with a crytstal river criuise, which was fabulous and at least a 10 star experience.  however, i have no knowledge of these two cruise lines.  there are so many experienced luxury travelers on this website, i was hoping i could get some opinions that might help me decide if i would like to travel on one of them.  i am a solo traveler and i have always had a cabin with a veranda.  however, i have booked two solo passenger cabins with crystal becasue their veranda pricing for a solo passenger is quite high.  i know how wonderful crystal is and will be but i hope that some people can give me their impressions, pro and con, about these two cruise lines.

thank you

Sailed on former Crystal River and it was great.  Due to low water issues and changed itinerary got a big credit and used it for an ocean Crystal cruise.  Lots of good especially food but also lots of bad and would never go back.  Seabourn is much better in so many ways. Never Sailed on SS but other posts on the board have references.

We have cruised with Silversea, Seabourn, and Crystal. Since you are familiar with Crystal and if your tastes are similar to ours you will be disappointed if you set your expectations for a similar experience with either Seabourn or SS. If you go with an open mind, go with the flow, and not try and compare to Crystal and if itinerary is interesting you will enjoy either Seabourn or SS. IMHO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

have you tried regent and/or oceana and what do you think about them?

If your question was in reference to my post, we much prefer Azamara to Oceania but neither is ultra luxury in our opinion. Have not tried Regent as the cost premium does not provide the value we place a premium on.

Jimmy Cruzer thank you very much for your comments last summer. I went on Azamara Baltic sea cruise for 11 days from Copenhagen to Tallinn to Helsinki to Gdansk Stockholm. Wanna move in and ended up in Amsterdam it was a fabulous fabulous cruise. They were only 450 people on board the ship that holds 700 the crew was great. The food was great. The ports were great. I definitely would recommend Azamara to anybody. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

have you tried regent and/or oceana and what do you think about them?

We sailed Regent once on the Splendor and as a result of an excellent experience have multiple cruises booked.  Looking forward to the new Grandeur in December. 

There are many very good things about Seabourn - why we have sailed 20 cruises with them and have several more booked.  One of the best things about Seabourn are your fellow passengers, easy to meet people.  We have friends going back to our second Seabourn cruise we keep in touch with and several couples we coordinate cruises with.  The crew is another big plus, although have had great crew on Regent, Scenic and Crystal.

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Typo

On 8/19/2023 at 9:58 AM, USC Adventurer said:

Jimmy Cruzer thank you very much for your comments last summer. I went on Azamara Baltic sea cruise for 11 days from Copenhagen to Tallinn to Helsinki to Gdansk Stockholm. Wanna move in and ended up in Amsterdam it was a fabulous fabulous cruise. They were only 450 people on board the ship that holds 700 the crew was great. The food was great. The ports were great. I definitely would recommend Azamara to anybody. 

Your welcome. We have many fond memories of Azamazing evenings with Azamara and would still be with them except at our age the cruise line & Ship is more our destination now which lands us more with Crystal moving forward.