The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 19th, 2023

richwmn

It is getting harder and harder to like commercial flying, but I've also flown some in private planes, in particular Beech Barons owned by a former employer. You get into a Baron by climbing over the wing. The pilots refused to fly a Baron into O'Hare or Midway, so for trips to Chicago we used a King Air. I did get them to fly a Baron into Palwaukee once.

And like many who travel to Alaska, I've flown in a DeHavilland Beaver. (My friends here tried to persuade me not to do that. I didn't tell them about the raft trip I had also booked, but it never took place.) Another fun trip was a sightseeing flight from our local airport where the really important sight was the plane itself, a Ford TriMotor.

FordTM01Final49571jpgENGINEMOUNT.jpg.9ec0e2823cfbdae4226831e1d5954303.jpgTriMotorInterior.jpg.365a73e72db1dc3fda1a0e05abcdc624.jpg

The town next to one where I lived in the 1980s decided to hold a Potato Festival, leading the farm columnist in a local newspaper to mention that there was not even one commercial grower of potatoes in the township. Perhaps all the other vegetables were taken.

Not sure about the chow mein. Actual dinner tonight was ratatouille and a cheese omelette. No on the drink, whether with or without jalapeno. For the wine, I'll suggest Thirsty Owl 2021 Riesling from Cayuga Lake, which is said to have some peach character. I haven't been to Broome in Australia, but there is a Broome County near here in New York.

I should have mentioned last night that the downstairs light is a pendant that hangs beside the staircase, so it lights the stairs quite well. The drawback is that I can't turn it off from upstairs.

mathproblems.jpg.4bbf59c60a9ae60d738f607dec478b34.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, dobiemom said:

On the calendar today is sushi with a GF I haven’t seen in a few months. Then a personal appointment, and hopefully church. Pizza is for dinner. Hopefully I’ll be here me before the storm hits. I told my DMiL I’d take her to her Catholic Church on Sunday but she gets back today from a few days at her daughters house and might be tired. Or it might be too rainy.  

Lunch was very good and so was the “catching up” conversation. My appt went very well and got to church early. DMiL decided with the anticipated rain she should stay home. Pizza was yummy (as usual).

So far no rain, but it has been overcast/cloudy. My sis from FL keeps calling, checking on our preparations. She’s watching the weather reports. I’m sure she’ll know it’s raining before I do. 

Good night everyone. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Lunch was very good and so was the “catching up” conversation. My appt went very well and got to church early. DMiL decided with the anticipated rain she should stay home. Pizza was yummy (as usual).

So far no rain, but it has been overcast/cloudy. My sis from FL keeps calling, checking on our preparations. She’s watching the weather reports. I’m sure she’ll know it’s raining before I do. 

Good night everyone. 

Glad to hear you had a good day.  

I’m watching the reports fearing for all of you.  Hope you can stay safe 🙏 

• Like 9