Snorkeling at Freeport and Bimini

jean87510

Freeport is a port that I don't think gets much respect on the snorkeling end.  I did an excursion with Franns Taxi and Tours and had a really unique experience.  

We are currently on the Carnival elation.  We docked in Freeport early at 12pm.  My husband and I decided to head down early at 1215 and although our tour started at 1pm, our cab driver was there.  He transported us to an area where we met with our guide Bryce.

The snorkeling area was 60 miles away.  It took 1 hour to get there.  On the way Bryce pointed out areas of interest and told us about the new cruise port coming in 2025.  

Once we arrived, we along with 4 others got on a small whaler and headed to the Blue hole.  This is in an area with heavy currents.  Next we drift snorkeled for 25 minutes over an amazing area with coral reefs, fans, sea life...you name it.  We then headed to see turtles and then took the boat to a small area where we had sandwiches and water then headed back to the ship.

The above excursion is NOT for inexperienced swimmers or snorkelers.  If you have done snorkeling before and are a decent swimmer, I suggest trying this.  It was just incredible.

Today unfortunately our excursion with 700 adventures was cancelled 1.5 hrs for weather before we were to head out.  The other night they changed our excursion from swimming with wild dolphins to snorkeling the Sapona shipwreck, stingrays and sharks.  We don't really like the stingrays and sharks but were interested in the Sapona.  Needless to say, I was really disappointed especially when I had to pay up front plus send all of this paperwork via email.  A bit too much for a 4 hour tour.  So cannot recommend this company.  Especially when today was a beautiful day and not only were no ship excursions cancelled, we saw other companies taking people out to the wreck.  We actually enquired 2 companies but declined when we saw how much and a lot of people.  

We decided to head to Radio Beach.  Heads up to anyone wanting to rent a golf cart.  Island is 7 miles long.  A taxi is $5 pp.  A golf cart rental today was $150.  Our taxi driver said when cruise ships aren't here its $60.  If you are going to 1 beach, don't get the golf cart.  This isn't Bonaire.

We went to Radio Beach.  2 chairs and an umbrella was $50 which we had to pay as I cannot be too long in sun.  We usually for this type of day bring our tent and blowup chairs.  We didn't think we would need them so left them at home.  I do suggest this for anyone who likes to travel on a budget.  

We knew there was a halfway decent snorkeling to the left of where we were sitting.  We snorkeled for about 1.5 hours.  Cute rocks with some coral, lots of fish, some jellyfish, a couple of stingrays.  Not as good as Freeport but definitely interesting.  

We will be back in Bimini in December, 2024 and we may ride bikes then and keep researching other shore snorkeling areas.

• Like 2