See Portsmouth terminal open

Windsurfboy

This is very worrying.  I am a wheelchair user and cannot walk any distance.  From what you are writing here, the new terminal does not seem as suitable as we thought,  and we are sailing from Portsmouth in December.  No-one at Saga office knows anything about the terminal.   We.imagined that the terminal would be suitable for me and my husband.    Dover is a 4 hour plus drive from home so we thought Portsmouth would be right as it is only two hours away.   We are familiar with Southampton which works very well.  Has anyone any experience of boarding the ship in a wheelchair?.  I would be grateful to hear from you.  J 

Try not to worry. If, when booking, you asked for and were allocated assistance, there will be staff available to help you. Many people in wheelchairs have successfully boarded Saga ships in Portsmouth, even before the new terminal was open. It may not be the most convenient terminal but the sail in and out is certainly one of the most interesting. The reality when cruising, unless you never go ashore, is that all cruise ports may vary in their level of convenience.

I also use a wheelchair and we have travelled from Portsmouth before the new terminal. It was a bit of a faff and time consuming getting on and off the ship, but Saga looked after us. It hasn’t put us off as we are going again next year.

One advantage on being on a Saga ship is that there is hardly ever a queue for the lifts, except when the theatre show ends.

Have a lovely time and don’t worry.

• Like 1