Upgrades available from QM2 solo cabin?

sucramdi

I'm getting ready to book a solo cabin on QM2 and I'm curious what potential upgrade would be available from this cabin grade if I say yes to the auto upgrade option? The deck plan seemingly shows the solo cabins (single ocean view grade KB/KC) as the lowest beneath the inside cabins. I'd hate to be "upgraded" into an inside cabin, but if there's a chance in a million at getting bumped up to a balcony I'd take it. 

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? And if I may piggy back on my own question, since this is my second Cunard voyage, when do I put in my Cunard world club number? 

The ways of the Upgrade Faerie are mysterious - I would expect that any upgrade would be to some flavor or Britannia Balcony, but likely an 'obstructed' one on deck 8.

For the World Club number - usually I supply the number during the booking process with $UNNAMED_TRAVEL_AGENT - I would expect the same when booking directly with Cunard. There should be an opportunity to amend a booking to ensure the number is on it.

39 minutes ago, sucramdi said:

I'm getting ready to book a solo cabin on QM2 and I'm curious what potential upgrade would be available from this cabin grade if I say yes to the auto upgrade option? The deck plan seemingly shows the solo cabins (single ocean view grade KB/KC) as the lowest beneath the inside cabins. I'd hate to be "upgraded" into an inside cabin, but if there's a chance in a million at getting bumped up to a balcony I'd take it. 

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? And if I may piggy back on my own question, since this is my second Cunard voyage, when do I put in my Cunard world club number? 

I was told by Cunard an upgrade from a KC KB solo Cabin would be to an I Grade inside cabin. I quickly changed my saver booking  to a Cunard Fare with a no to an upgrade. I would been annoyed to book a solo

ocean view  low deck midship to be upgraded to a potential inside forward on a higher deck. I assumed you would be upgraded to an inside but I was told that would not be the case and an I grade was the next grade up. 

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

I was told by Cunard an upgrade from a KC KB solo Cabin would be to an I Grade inside cabin

Wow! I was really expecting to be wrong in how I read the cabin grades. The solos were added after the other cabins were given their letter sequence after all... Very glad I asked.

I appreciate the replies!

2 hours ago, sucramdi said:

And if I may piggy back on my own question, since this is my second Cunard voyage, when do I put in my Cunard world club number? 

If you are booking directly on the Cunard website from the US, you enter your Cunard World Club number near the bottom of the Guest information page during checkout.

Before the site was redesigned some years ago, you would enter your Cunard World Club number near the beginning of the booking process. Now it's toward the end of the process. It's still before you provide your payment method and submit your payment though. So if you have any future cruise credit to use or might be entitled to a past passenger discount on the fare you're booking, there is still time for that to be taken into account before you are quoted the final total amount for your booking.

Edited by bluemarble

The solos are in high demand and usually sell out within a few days of booking opening.  They’re special cabins and you should say no to an upgrade, if you are lucky enough to bag one.

46 minutes ago, IB2 said:

The solos are in high demand and usually sell out within a few days of booking opening.  They’re special cabins and you should say no to an upgrade, if you are lucky enough to bag one.

Disappointed they have not included any on Queen Anne given they are so popular and 

always sell out so quickly. 

8 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Disappointed they have not included any on Queen Anne given they are so popular and 

always sell out so quickly. 

I don't know how things stack up financially, but it does seem rare for single cabins to be designed into a new ship - cruise companies generally want maximum occupancy for their space.  The QM2 only got them in a refit, and the cabins are singles because the limited space along that side of the ship forced the cabins to be turned sideways (which actually makes them better cabins, with two large windows - but no designer would deliberately 'waste' window space like that) and even then they are only wide enough for a single bed.

6 minutes ago, IB2 said:

I don't know how things stack up financially, but it does seem rare for single cabins to be designed into a new ship - cruise companies generally want maximum occupancy for their space.  The QM2 only got them in a refit, and the cabins are singles because the limited space along that side of the ship forced the cabins to be turned sideways (which actually makes them better cabins, with two large windows - but no designer would deliberately 'waste' window space like that) and even then they are only wide enough for a single bed.

P &O Iona had them built from the get go and even had Balcony ones. Noticeably her sister ship Arvia hasn’t got any. The deck 2 solos on QM2 have just one long window and are not sideways configurations.

They are not that much cheaper but I like their locations. Normal Balcony for me on Queen Anne it is. 

9 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

P &O Iona had them built from the get go and even had Balcony ones. Noticeably her sister ship Arvia hasn’t got any. The deck 2 solos on QM2 have just one long window and are not sideways configurations.

They are not that much cheaper but I like their locations. Normal Balcony for me on Queen Anne it is. 

Fair enough, I've only travelled in the Deck 3 ones, which I know are regarded the most highly. Whether there's some other reason they made the Deck 2 ones singles, I don't know?