When to book Alaska Excursions?

richart

On 11/2/2023 at 10:13 PM, Italy52 said:

I always book our "must do" excursions ASAP so we never miss an opportunity to enjoy our favorite excursions.  We are cruising twice to Alaska in 2024 and have already booked our independent as well as our ship's excursions.  In fact, one of our ship excursion has already gone up in price.  Popular independent vendors can book up fast -- one of our independent vendors is taking reservations already for 2025.  Enjoy your Alaska planning.

Can I ask what excursions you have booked and from whom?  

We are totally new to Alaska (just booked yesterday) and are trying to get a handle on what to do.  So any help or pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tigerspill said:

We are totally new to Alaska (just booked yesterday) and are trying to get a handle on what to do.  So any help or pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Not who you asked but we are going in July and I am fully booked. Below is what I booked. Note headed with two kids which limited my selections:

Juneau: Whale watch and Mendenhall combo with Juneau Whale Watch. Understanding that even with the Mendenhall limitations last year this company got everyone who had booked to Mendenhall and they confirmed if book now we are good. 

Skagway: Rented a mustang with Klondike electric. Plan to drive to the suspension bridge, emerald lake, carcross, tutshi dog camp, etc. following Murray’s guide.

ketchikan: booked Bering sea crab tour through the ship. It was oddly cheaper than direct.. 

3 hours ago, Tigerspill said:

We have two cruises booked to Alaska for 2024.  Both Princess cruises have the same itinerary (Vancouver to Vancouver) and are for 14 days each.  When we go to Alaska we tend to gravitate toward the whale watching and glacier tours.  Here is what we have booked:

Juneau:  Jayleen's Alaska for whale watching (independent vendor)

Whittier: Phillips Cruises Glacier Quest (independent vendor)

Hubbard Glacier:  Hubbard Glacier & Wilderness Exploration (ship's tour)

Icy Strait:  Glacier Wind Charters for whale watching (independent vendor)

Ketchikan:  Black Bear, Wildlife & Nature Walk (ships tour)

Because we have quite a bit of on board credit, we are still waiting for Princess to post the remainder of their excursions to see if there is something of interest to us. 

As far as pointers are concerned, I would say ask yourself why do I want to cruise to Alaska?  Write down a "wish list" and then do some research.  This is your cruise and it should be tailored to what you want to get out of your visit. Once you have a plan and you still need some guidance, there are many wonderful people on this board who will be happy to answer questions.  Just remember, experiences can be subjective so that is why it is important for you to do your research.  YouTube and TripAdvisor can also give you some insight. 

• Like 1

I have my cruise port excursions covered but I’m waiting for Princess to put up the excursions for Copper River, Kenai, McKinley.  They have me booked for the gold dredge 8 and the sternwheeler in Fairbanks but I would love to get out of those and book something else.  I’ve already done them.  I would consider something to the Artic circle perhaps.  Does anyone know if you have the National Park Pass does Princess still refund the $10 fee for the TWT?  I think last time my tour guide had to hassle it out of the hotel manager in Denali.

This morning 6 Kenai tours were posted as available for our May 2024 cruise tour.  Yesterday I looked and there were none.  I thought it was odd that they would populate on a Sunday.  I opened each one and all times showed as sold out for all 6 tours, with the exception of one river float trip time (there were 3 time options and only one showed availability). Not sure how everything was sold out that quickly, or it's a glitch on the Princess system.  

Thanks for the heads up Paula.  It does seem odd they pop up on a Sunday and only for Kenai.  The river float was the only one I would like and it had 9 slots for the afternoon time, the early and late were sold out.  This would not be my first choice but at least I have something booked.  It’s not a great feeling that I’m almost desperate to book any excursion rather than nothing.  Maybe Princess will be adding more options and I can always cancel and rebook.

I also reserved Jayleens Whale watching in Juneau.  I found her tour on you tube a few weeks ago and it looked great.  I am lucky that’s she has an opening for my port date.  The pic is of the two ladies I did the river float with in May 2018, all the gear plus boots then climb onto a zodiac raft. Yes, I’ll do it again.  The river is beautiful.

IMG_0436.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, georgetheblue said:

Excursions opened today for some of my land portions.  Was able to book Copper River and Fairbanks.  Still waiting for Denali to be posted.  There were only several openings on each and they just got posted ttoday.

All ours opened last night for the entire land tour (a few days ago only Kenai opened up). Everything I looked at showed sold out already.

I’d be on the phone to a Princess cruise planner demanding the excursions I want.  If I am unable to book the excursions I want this cruise tour will be history.  I don’t live for the 7 day inside passage.  It’s okay but it’s more important to see what I want inland because of the small fortune I’m spending. .

24 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

All ours opened last night for the entire land tour (a few days ago only Kenai opened up). Everything I looked at showed sold out already.

I would maybe call and speak to someone directly.  Since they just opened up hard to imagine they are all sold out already.   We have had real good luck finding excursions in port too...just a suggestion.  Best wishes!

Just now, Cruisintimer said:

I would maybe call and speak to someone directly.  Since they just opened up hard to imagine they are all sold out already.   We have had real good luck finding excursions in port too...just a suggestion.  Best wishes!

Luckily we already have our plans ironed out, was just looking for some possible 'filler' excursions for a short unoccupied afternoon etc. 

I was mainly posting the info just to alert others not to wait if interested in Alaska next year.

I also wonder if our cruisetour is booked up by a group or tour operator because it has shown as 'not available' on the Princess website for quite while. I like to periodically price check our cruises but haven't been able to for this one in a long time.

• Like 1