How far in advance to purchase airline tickets?

I will be on the Legend in January. I checked the airline prices two weeks ago and non stop on Delta from SLC to FLL was $360. It then went to 380 and is now at 390. A flight with stops would be about $350, I would rather have non-stop for that money. Southwest would run about $337 for the cheapest fares with at least one stop, again not worth the $$$ difference.

For those that buy for cruises in advance, how often do you see them go down? With the state of fuel prices should I book and quit looking so I don't drive myself crazy? or wait and keep looking?

Thoughts, opinions...

Thanks,

Brenda

Plane prices are like the stock market, up one minute, down the next.

I have found booking as early as possible, i get the best prices because as the plane feel up the prices go up, there are those rare occasions when the prices go down at the flight date because the plane is still empty.

We booked air for our upcoming summer cruise last fall. When I recently wanted to change my travel dates, the airline said that it would be almost $700 (for 3 people) to change the reservation. I had booked non-refundable tickets!!! Apparently there are "classes" of reservations and I booked early and got to take advantage of cheap airfare.

Good luck!

I just booked our airfare yesterday for our Legend cruise in January. I had been watching and watching and kept coming up with ridiculously high prices. I finally put together two non-stops that were reasonable and lower than the Carnival add-on. The weird part was, the flights with stops were running $600-$700!:eek:

It's always a crap shoot, but at least this way, we've got good flights and seats assigned. Let's hope they don't charge us now for bringing luggage!:mad:

Let's hope they don't charge us now for bringing luggage!:mad:

LOL! I just read in Southwest airline's magazine that some airlines were considering charging for blankets and pillows. Their logic was that they don't have to worry about a shortage on flights and people can then take them with them. They also had a list of other "additional cost" items that I wish I remembered!

I usually book early, but I don't think I'd book yet for next January. Unless it's a holiday week, typically January fares drop.

What I usually do is set a price in my head, in other words, what I am willing to pay. I check prices almost daily. When it hits the price I had in my head, I book. If it goes down, I won't cry over it.

You probably have a good idea what a decent airfare is. If that fare is competitive for your market, then book it. If it sounds high, I'd wait. Just because prices are going up now doesn't mean they will continue to climb. Often times they will drop as quickly as they go up.

I usually book early, but I don't think I'd book yet for next January. Unless it's a holiday week, typically January fares drop.

What I usually do is set a price in my head, in other words, what I am willing to pay. I check prices almost daily. When it hits the price I had in my head, I book. If it goes down, I won't cry over it.

You probably have a good idea what a decent airfare is. If that fare is competitive for your market, then book it. If it sounds high, I'd wait. Just because prices are going up now doesn't mean they will continue to climb. Often times they will drop as quickly as they go up.

I agree 100%!! That is exactly what I do as well!!! :D

I do also think that it is really early to book for January.

Every time we have vacationed in March - I have booked airfare in August and found phenomenal deals. I don't know if it's a coincidence or what...but like jerseygirl said, just keep watching flights with a price in mind and book when it gets in that range! For me, it's kind of a fun game.

IMHO with the state of the airline industry and the volitile fuel markets the price of air fare is more likely than not to rise. I would find a price that I like and book it as soon as you find it.

Let's hope they don't charge us now for bringing luggage!:mad:

Don't laugh. I've heard some airlines are thinking of charging per pound for your luggage. Already Northwest will charge $15 more for an aisle seat and like another poster said, pillows and blankets will be an additional charge soon.

I will be on the Legend in January. I checked the airline prices two weeks ago and non stop on Delta from SLC to FLL was $360. It then went to 380 and is now at 390. A flight with stops would be about $350, I would rather have non-stop for that money. Southwest would run about $337 for the cheapest fares with at least one stop, again not worth the $$$ difference.

For those that buy for cruises in advance, how often do you see them go down? With the state of fuel prices should I book and quit looking so I don't drive myself crazy? or wait and keep looking?

Thoughts, opinions...

Thanks,

Brenda

I have no financial interest in SW but when you book with them they will allow you(currently) to cancel and rebook without penalty if a cheaper fare does come up, you just get a credit for the difference which must be used within 1 year of original booking. SW's schedule currently only goes out to early Aug'06 but when they do extend their schedules the cheaper tickets generally are gone within a day or two for the vacation type destinations.

Also, fyling into and out of FLL on days when there are several cruise ships sailing does put pressure on the availability of seats.

Good luck with your decision.

I always book as soon as I get the price range I want. I just booked for Jan last week. I got 119.00 rt to Phila to Mia. Cheaptickets. Others in our group booked as a group of 6 same flight and got 138.00 rt. Keep checking.. It helps

After holiday's there is a travel lull. Although the first week in January is a still a Holiday week, the second week isn't. We were on the Valor last January 8 and got $158 fares from O'hare to Miami. Don't book so early there may still be sales.

• Administrators
I have no financial interest in SW but when you book with them they will allow you(currently) to cancel and rebook without penalty if a cheaper fare does come up, you just get a credit for the difference which must be used within 1 year of original booking. SW's schedule currently only goes out to early Aug'06 but when they do extend their schedules the cheaper tickets generally are gone within a day or two for the vacation type destinations.

Also, fyling into and out of FLL on days when there are several cruise ships sailing does put pressure on the availability of seats.

Good luck with your decision.

Be careful with this. While I Love this policy SW has, here's what happened to me.

For clarity reasons, lets say I had 300 credit I had to use by May 12th, 2006. I bought tickets to go to Florida March 2006 with my credit, cost me 500. So, I spent an additional 200 for the tickets -- in February 2006. Two days after I got the tickets, the fare went DOWN. So, I logged in and got a credit...for $150.

So, now I have a credit....that you'd THINK I would have a year from Feb 06 to use. Nope. I must use that $150 by May 12th as well...even though I spent those funds in Feb.

Not complaining, but it is just the way their system works.

Archived