Another Explorer to YVR Question

mrlevin

Now that we have gone through almost the entire Alaska season, I wonder if there is real "current" data regarding time to get to airport and through customs and security.

Delta changed our flight from 1:15pm to 11:50 am.  Should I accept this or try to find alternative flights.  These are my own FF mile flights and Regent is not involved.

thanks,

• Like 1

We did the same trip in July, you are probably alright assuming you have a private transfer and global entry. We were off the ship at 9:am in the priority pass lounge around 10:30. But be aware there was a strike going on at the port in July but it did not seem to impact disembarkation. 

10 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Now that we have gone through almost the entire Alaska season, I wonder if there is real "current" data regarding time to get to airport and through customs and security.

Delta changed our flight from 1:15pm to 11:50 am.  Should I accept this or try to find alternative flights.  These are my own FF mile flights and Regent is not involved.

thanks,

In the same boat (flight) for next year when we return from Japan.  I asked on FB and the consensus was to leave the ship ASAP and private transfer to YVR.  The ride should take 50 minutes.  

If you're happy enough to wheel your own luggage a block and a half, the Skytrain might be your quickest option. It's my favorite choice, anyway.

Walk up and out of Canada Place, pass by the subway entrance on Howe and turn left onto Cordova. Waterfront station is between Granville and Seymour, probably a five minute walk after you exit Canada Place. The ticket kiosks will take a credit card (buy a two segment ticket) and should only be can$5 or $6 for that direction It's easy and efficient, even if you haven't done it before and have a lot of luggage.

No matter how good your private transfer operator is, they'll likely still be stuck in traffic on Granville while you're checking in with your airline.

You ought to make that 11:50 flight. 

walkingsoon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, walkingsoon said:

If you're happy enough to wheel your own luggage a block and a half, the Skytrain might be your quickest option. It's my favorite choice, anyway.

Walk up and out of Canada Place, pass by the subway entrance on Howe and turn left onto Cordova. Waterfront station is between Granville and Seymour, probably a five minute walk after you exit Canada Place. The ticket kiosks will take a credit card (buy a two segment ticket) and should only be can$5 or $6 for that direction It's easy and efficient, even if you haven't done it before and have a lot of luggage.

No matter how good your private transfer operator is, they'll likely still be stuck in traffic on Granville while you're checking in with your airline.

You ought to make that 11:50 flight. 

walkingsoon

hi, just to clarify so no-one goes adrift!  It's the Canada Line direct from Waterfront to YVR NOT the Skytrain.  The train itself is ridiculously quick and take less than half an hour from Waterfront to YVR and most time the service runs about every 10 minutes.  Also, when buying a ticket at the kiosk, get a 2-Zone ticket (2 segment suggests its two journeys).  YVR lies in zone 2.  If you are OK with wheeling bags for a few minutes, this is the most reliable and straightforward option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the pointers on the easiest way to get to YVR from the waterfront. One related question: Now that I've saved all that time and hassle with transportation, and made it through security, where's the best place to hang out at YVR until my (main cabin) flight at 2pm-ish? My airline doesn't have a lounge there, so buying entry from them isn't an option.

@RELS YVR has several Generic Lounges (Plaza Premium) which anyone can buy access for; just make sure that you book the correct one based on your flight destination as you cannot transfer between US E gates and other secure areas without going through immigration & security shenanigans!

Also NB: that while the prior clarification that you need the Canada Line is helpful the handiest time-saving info was left out - there is zero need to stop at a ticket kiosk or figure out zones any more for 99.99% of adults as long as you have either a tappable-chip Amex, Mastercard or Visa, or a Google/Apple/Samsung smartphone with a card loaded to the onboard payment system, you can simply tap on the fare gates to open them!

Not only does this avoid the delay of figuring out the right ticket on the machine, but it also does the math for you - when you tap back out (NB: use the same card, and hold it in your hand both times rather than tapping your whole wallet as if the sensors pick up 2 different cards they will bill each one a maximum fare!) it knows how many Zones you have used and what day/time it is and corrects the fee accordingly. Super easy - the only folks who need to use the machines are seniors/older kids who want a save a buck with a Concession fare (all taps charge regular Adult fare), or folks whose only cards are Diners Club which are not accepted.

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4