The Greek Beach Cruise - Good Idea or No?

NightOne

I have a hold on a Princess cruise that does the following ports starting in early September:

Rome >> Naples >> Kotor >> Corfu >> Crete >> Santorini >> Kasadasi >> Mykonos >> Athens

I'm choosing that time of year of because of weather (sea temperatures) and crowds. My thinking is that we will make this a Greek beach cruise and already looking at the following beaches:

Corfu = Palaiokastritsa

Crete = Agioi Apostoloi or Agios Vasileios Plakias

Santorini = Kamari

Mykonos = Kalafatis

Naples, Kotor, and Kasadasi can be non-beach days.

I will be travelling with someone with mobility issues and the only tenders here are Kotor and Santorini. All the above beaches appear to be accessible. We actually would not spend any time sitting on the beach but rather swimming in the ocean, drying off, and leaving.

My concerns are as follows:

1. Are Greek beaches going to be a great experience? They look beautiful in pictures but we have been to most of the top Caribbean beaches including Bahamas (Bimini and HMC), St. Thomas (Magen's Coki, Sapphire, Secret), Tortola (Cane Garden Bay and Long Bay Beef Island), Aruba (Baby, Palm, Eagle, Arashi), Curacao (Playa Kenepa), Roatan (West Bay), Grand Cayman (7 Mile) etc. We always have a great time just hanging out in the water and relaxing. Any chance I will be greatly disappointed with Greek beaches?

2. Do Greek beaches have issues with sea weed/grass (sargasm) like parts of the Caribbean?

2. Are the beaches easily accessible in Santorini and Mykonos? In Santorini can you avoid the cable car ride (and steps)?

3.  Does a Greek beach cruise make logical sense?

Any other thoughts you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Greek Beaches can be quite nice (we have done beach days on many islands...including quite a few not visited by large cruise ships).  Does it make logical sense?  If it is how you prefer to spend your port days than it makes sense to you :).  My personal preference is to spend some real time on various islands (generally using the excellent ferry system to move between a few islands) so that we can enjoy the beaches during the day and later have a nice dinner and seek out some of night life on the various islands.  Since cruises limit your time on any island you might try to work out a schedule that gives you some beach time mixed with time to explore some of the island.

Hank

• Like 1