Macallan Flight Experience

joeyjeremiah

It is a "fully inclusive" course... 

The enjoyment, learning or lack thereof is dependent on the person who is the leader.

The tasting will include a history of the distiller, the various types available and a tasting of several different varieties available. 

You will be tasting various ones with and without water to experience the difference in taste and made aware of how to best drink it or not according to your taste and desire.

Premium drink package has only covered one (1) of the up to six (6) different ones available on-board. But that may have changed since last year.

I do a tasting on every X sailing I take and this year I will also do the Jack Daniel's tasing.

Cheers and bon voyage

I have done this twice, the most recent being on the Reflection in July this year.

You get to try three different Macallan's - Quest, Lumina and Terra - these are all travel versions only available in Duty Free. As we were sailing from Barcelona there was no duty-free alcohol sales although the sommelier was selling these on request.

As Bo mentions you try them with and without water - at the most recent tasting it was harder to add just a few drops of water as there are no plastic straws to use.

Whilst a decent experience, the first time was better. The most recent experience was led by a sommelier who was reading from notes and not really able to answer all of the questions.

Edited by Bobo2009
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bobo2009 said:

I have done this twice, the most recent being on the Reflection in July this year.

You get to try three different Macallan's - Quest, Lumina and Terra - these are all travel versions only available in Duty Free. As we were sailing from Barcelona there was no duty-free alcohol sales although the sommelier was selling these on request.

As Bo mentions you try them with and without water - at the most recent tasting it was harder to add just a few drops of water as there are no plastic straws to use.

Whilst a decent experience, the first time was better. The most recent experience was led by a sommelier who was reading from notes and not really able to answer all of the questions.

b2 - I have had a few of those types, but it gave me and a few others a leg up as we felt we knew just a wee bit more than the presenter...

... and we were some of the whisky snobs aboard... LOL and fortunately the better bartenders knew it and treated us well and then some i.e. no charge for the 'better' Macallan from time to time... 

Envision this: a group of men 57+ hoovering around the bar saving seats for each other so we can have our happy hour with the better offerings of bourbon, scotch and a few blends... LOL

Slange Var and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

I did it on Celebrity and it was the head of Cellar Masters that ran ours. It was fun but the group also makes the experience. 2/3 of the people didn’t show up and they had pre poured the glasses… let’s just say we helped clear a lot of glasses that night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I’ve done it twice. Last time on Equinox about a year ago. It’s somewhat hit or miss. As stated, it’s the travel edition no age statement whisky. On Equinox I believe it was someone from Craft Social doing the tasting. Not horribly knowledgeable and reading a lot. They also oversold the tasting. 

I have a lot of OBC in November, so I’ll never say never. If there are some serious whisky drinkers in your group, it can be fun. But everything they’re tasting  can only be bought at duty free.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks. DH is a pretty serious scotch drinker and we will be cruising on his birthday so I was going to gift this to him but wanted to make sure it was something special and not just being handed a flight of stuff on the drink menu from the bartender. 

6 hours ago, joeyjeremiah said:

Thanks. DH is a pretty serious scotch drinker and we will be cruising on his birthday so I was going to gift this to him but wanted to make sure it was something special and not just being handed a flight of stuff on the drink menu from the bartender. 

My wife and I did it on Summit last week and thought it was very good. The bartender that led the group (I can't recall his name) was very, very informative. 

• Like 1

My husband did this on our honeymoon cruise back in July on Equinox. It was a very small group and he was definitely the youngest at 35. The person running it was VERY knowledgeable and gave a lot of information. The group (I believe there were 4 men) made the experience more fun as personalities in a group do change the dynamic. They had way more sign up than show up, so they were treated to a sample of the highest cost bottle (sorry, I'm not a fan so I didn't pay that much attention) and at the end I was invited over to try his samples. Then they were given one extra tasting of their favorite--again, they were expecting 10+ and 4 showed--which was not expected. Husband was very impressed with the whole thing, and even I learned some as I sat reading my book....I also learned that I have expensive taste as the one I liked the most was the most expensive one 🤣

20230731_164650.jpg

20230731_164653.jpg

It's a one and done for me.  I did it on the Beyond.  The person leading the tasting wasn't that knowledgeable.  And I didn't like the Macallan varieties they offered.  It was rather disappointing, to be honest.

On the last night when I went to the duty free store I was planning to buy a bottle of the cheapest one around $80 I think.  I just couldn't do it.  Why buy something I didn't enjoy?  So I bought a different bottle of scotch that I have never tried.  I don't recall the name at the moment.

I drink Macallan 12, 18, 25 at home.  Sherry cask and double cask.

• Thanks 1