Stressing over excusions....

I am starting to get stressed over excursions. I want this cruise to be enjoyable even through I will be traveling with some people who kind of stress me out anyway, if you know what I mean??!!! So, with that said, I am wondering if we should just book excursions through the cruise line? Also, if you don't book any excursions are there things to do that are fun and safe within walking distance of the docks. By the way, we will be in the Western Caribbean.

The advantage of booking excursions through the cruise line is that you will be assured that you are back on time before the ship leaves. Big Stress reliever. The ships are usually a little more expensive,but less stressful. Most of the ports you will visit (you did not say where) will probably have many places you can walk to.

Mike

This is supposed to be fun! Since some in your party stress you out, is it possible that you could do some things seperately? I mean, book an excursion for them, and then you go shopping, or vice versa? There's nothing wrong with booking through the cruise line--I think it's the safest way to go.

At any rate--don't stress--you don't want to have to take a vacation from your vacation!!

All your ports have good stuff to do within walking distance, especially Key West and Grand Cayman. Most of this, of course, is shopping. Key West has a sightseeing trolley. Go to the Ports of Call board here on Cruise Critic and look up your ports for ideas and info. A wealth of info!

DH and I have always like taking local buses around for a while. They get you away from the port shopping areas, you get to see some of the locale, and you get to meet/see the people who live there. Buses in the Caribbean are usually very reliable, because the locals use them extensively. We have taken buses all the way to the end of the line and back again. Cheap and interesting.

Cozumel is not much to see, but there is a shopping/swimming/bar area right at the dock that was built by the cruise lines. That's an purchased excursion stop, or plan on just vegging at the pool. They also have live local folk dance exhibits there.

If you are stressing over your companions, then I would take the easy way out, and book through the ship, or just stroll around.

On my first cruise (EC), we had a big family cruise and my father knew the ropes in the islands, so we didn't book any excursions through the ship and it was fine (safe, fun, on-time, cost effective).

Since then, I've done a few Western Caribbean cruises and not booked excursions through the ship.... have had the locals take us to great beaches and point to us any safe shopping areas not in the port area.

As for places where I was hesitant to do something with the locals (Costa Rica, Panama) and when I wanted to do an all day excrusion without worrying about making it back to the ship on time (in Cozumel when we went to the Mayan Ruins).... that's when I booked excursion through the ship.

Some places are totally fine for using local groups -- such as Stingray City in Grand Cayman. But, if you're the nervous type, don't ruin your vacation by worrying. It's worth the extra $$ for peace of mind, particularly on vacation.

Cozumel is not much to see, but there is a shopping/swimming/bar area right at the dock that was built by the cruise lines. That's an purchased excursion stop, or plan on just vegging at the pool. They also have live local folk dance exhibits there.

I believe you are talking about Costa Maya...not Cozumel?

:) Bobbie

The advantage of booking excursions through the cruise line is that you will be assured that you are back on time before the ship leaves. Big Stress reliever. The ships are usually a little more expensive,but less stressful. Most of the ports you will visit (you did not say where) will probably have many places you can walk to.

Mike

Hey Mike!

Back on Vision again, I see!!! Awesome! We are making plans right now for Alaska for when the 2007 dates open up. Serenade RT from Vanvouver!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but wanted to say HI!

Tina

Don't miss going to Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel..great place to snorkel....nice restaurant & bar on the beach.....dolphin swins....ancient ruins etc...of course there is a $12 entrance fee and all the activities like swimming with dolphins is extra but a lot less than taking the ship excursion. Just take a cab there and relax. Look it up at port reviews dot com ...........:D I spend the whole day there

The advantage of booking excursions through the cruise line is that you will be assured that you are back on time before the ship leaves. Big Stress reliever. The ships are usually a little more expensive,but less stressful.
The disadvantage of the ship's excursions is that you tend to be in huge groups herded along like cows. You can't stop to buy a drink or use the restroom because you've got to stay with the group, and you have to stay forever in the "shopping mecca" they've chosen for you. And for this . . . you get to pay double what you'd pay on your own.

Sometimes the ship's excursions are a good choice; most of the time I think they're not.

I do a mix of things. I HATE and detest crowds. Usually in Jamaica I either visit friends (not really an option for you) or take a tour with one of the suggested people on the Jamaica board here. They are all good.

In Grand Cayman if I am not diving I do a Stingray City snorkel. Captain Marvins or Nativeway are both good.

I Cozumel shopping is good.

I just hate the herding MrsPete talks about. All the independants are careful about time because they live and die by their reputaion here.

If you're getting stressed about the excursions, maybe letting the cruise line handle the arrangements would be best for you? That way you don't have to worry about arranging with the independent tour groups. Yes, the excursions through the ship tend to be a large group, but my husband and I managed to do our own thing (within reason) even while being part of the group. The ship also has different excursions for each port so you can choose what you want to do without having to really research the area yourself to try to find out the attractions in that port. I have done both and personally enjoy booking my own excursions, however, my husband and I didn't feel like doing that on our last cruise and it was nice having someone else plan everything for me and all I had to do was show up!

If you're getting stressed about the excursions, maybe letting the cruise line handle the arrangements would be best for you? That way you don't have to worry about arranging with the independent tour groups. Yes, the excursions through the ship tend to be a large group, but my husband and I managed to do our own thing (within reason) even while being part of the group. The ship also has different excursions for each port so you can choose what you want to do without having to really research the area yourself to try to find out the attractions in that port. I have done both and personally enjoy booking my own excursions, however, my husband and I didn't feel like doing that on our last cruise and it was nice having someone else plan everything for me and all I had to do was show up!

I like that; simply pay & show up!

Don't miss going to Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel..great place to snorkel....nice restaurant & bar on the beach.....dolphin swins....ancient ruins etc...of course there is a $12 entrance fee and all the activities like swimming with dolphins is extra but a lot less than taking the ship excursion. Just take a cab there and relax. Look it up at port reviews dot com ...........:D I spend the whole day there

I thought Chankanaab was destroyed by Katrina?

I thought Chankanaab was destroyed by Katrina?

Chankanaab was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma, but is scheduled to reopen this month. (March, 2006) From Cozumel.com

Chankanaab national Park

The Chankanaab national park is still undergoing reconstruction after Hurricane Wilma, The park is expected to start operations on MARCH 2006 with new attractions and new services for visitors to the park.

Among the new services and attractions that will be offered you will find a subacuatic trail, cavern diving, new access routes, bathrooms and showers, handicapped facilities and access and more.

Come to Cozumel.com was also informed that this past january 11 the park was visited by Mr. Luc Bouchard, Director of the Saguenay national park and Saguenay-Saint Laurent marine park in Quebec Canada. This private visit to the Chankanaab Park and punta Sur was of great help due to the information and help strategies that Mr. Bouchard provided.

On January 13 the park also welcomed Ms. Giuzy Ventura, Shore Excursion Manager of M/S Carnival Conquest, where she witnessed the reconstruction and had a first hand introduction to all the new features and services that the park will offer.

I agree with the previous posters that take the ships excursions. You are guaranteed not to miss the ship. However, you can go it on your own a lot cheaper and at your own leisure! Saving money for other things such as souvenirs, local foods and wines, and other entertainment. I have never taken a ships excursion and probably never will. I have too much fun researching and planning ports on our own. You can look at my homepage(link in signature) and find lots of information about cruising and how to research things yourself. I find it to be very rewarding and cost effective going it on your own. Whatever you decide, don't stress over it, it's not worth your health. Andros/Tony

Archived