P&O Cruiser does a Saga Cruise

Dermotsgirl

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

No luck involved.

I have to disagree there - we are lucky that we don't live in Morocco, Libya, Afghanistan etc. etc. and are not going to collect dirty water to use in an African village.  I tell myself  this  whenever I feel badly done by.  I wish more people did.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have to disagree there - we are lucky that we don't live in Morocco, Libya, Afghanistan etc. etc. and are not going to collect dirty water to use in an African village.  I tell myself  this  whenever I feel badly done by.  I wish more people did.

No luck involved. I choose not to live in those countries. They are lucky that, as a country we can afford to send them squillions of our money.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I often wonder why after all these years that little boy and his sister are still walking 3 miles to the well - surely they are grown men and women now.  As for the squillions we use to bribe their corrupt governments they've probably gone towards a nice big yacht or private plane.  

Then the boy and his sister want a better life and pay someone to send them on a mini cruise but when they arrive the countries who sent the squillions say b..... off. Strange old world we live in ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

My parents have booked a saga cruise for the first time to the Canaries etc in November

I cannot believe the  high price they have paid. Extortionate IMO

They were quick to tell me it includes private transfers to Southampton and back. People seem to make a lot out of that?

I had already told them I could drive them to Southampton and back myself whoever they cruised with! Lol

I can't personally buy into all the positivity about Saga holidays and cruises when I see the prices they charge for the "extras" they provide

But regardless I'm sure my parents will have a great time

But boy are they paying for it compared to cruising with P and O or others

(They normally cruise with Princess)

we found the private transfers to be a real boon.

The Friday lunchtime traffic around the Dartford Crossing was horrendous, wouldn’t have liked to have been driving in that at all. We were happy to let our driver deal with it, and he was very …… err ….. ‘proactive’ in weaving through the snarled up traffic to get us to the port in good time.

Likewise, when we returned from the cruise, with the ‘illness that can’t be mentioned’, the last thing we wanted was to drive, so we were happy to have our own driver

(naturally, masks and open windows were involved on this journey) )

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But if Saga is almost all inclusive, what is the benefit of giving the price drop in OBC, unless any unspent is refunded to you at the end of the cruise?

If I got OBC, I’d be more than happy to treat myself to a watch, handbag or perfume. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If I got OBC, I’d be more than happy to treat myself to a watch, handbag or perfume. 

All OBC is wasted on me unless I eat or drink it!  If Saga give fare difference back that way I'd never spend it as I've far too many watches, am allergic to most perfumes and only carry a tiny handbag with my debit/credit cards and tissues.  

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

All OBC is wasted on me unless I eat or drink it!  If Saga give fare difference back that way I'd never spend it as I've far too many watches, am allergic to most perfumes and only carry a tiny handbag with my debit/credit cards and tissues.  

Too many watches!!!!! 😮😧😲 I am staggered at such a statement, there is no such thing…….unless you ask my wife that is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I deliberately won't mention your experience to my parents

If tables for 2 were set up like this on P and O imagine the fallout on here?

If your parents like meeting new people they will love it.

If not they can do what we are going to do next time - we are going to be ALOT more proactive in the table selection process so we can get a table that is suitable for us. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That is very true, but most of the points folk make about Saga are well aired so I get a bit tired.🤣

My very first post on this thread invited people that weren’t interested   to scroll on by. No body is forcing you to read this thread. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My very first post on this thread invited people that weren’t interested to scroll on by. No body is forcing you to read this thread. 🤷‍♀️

But, but but ... we now have the long awaited return of ICF with his ebullient enthusiasm for all things Arvia which will bring with it all the excitement a bouncy Labrador puppy displays.  Time to enjoy the one to one battles again and see old arguments dissected, rehashed with much enthusiasm and lots of sparring.  And it's even better because he's come out fighting with mum and dad going high end!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

May I respectfully question your post Fatboy?

I've stayed in Travel Lodge. I've stayed in 5 star hotels. And I've cruised with P and O.

So this is a defence of P and O

On Arvia I have my favourite places as follows where I like to spend most of my time on board:

1) Sat at the pool bar drinking hand made cocktails (I can't to that in a Travel Lodge. I don't think I can do that with Saga? Only a minority of 5 star Hotels offer swim up pool bars). I've never been unable to get 2 seats at the swim up pool bar on Arvia to date whenever I wanted. I will tell everyone if that ever happens

2) Watching fabulous live musicians in the intimate 710 Club whilst sipping superb hand made Negroni cocktails served to my table  (I can't to that in a Travel Lodge. I don't think I can do that with Saga nightly. Only a minority of 5 star Hotels offer live musicians in their bar nightly. And if they do not of this quality)

3) Watching live shows in a state of the art theatre   (I can't to that in a Travel Lodge, very few 5 star hotels have theatres. None have the quality of entertainment nightly on stage. None have the sound and lights quality with video etc. Do saga have state of the art theatres with this quality singers and dancers and entertainers nightly?)

4) Watching films in the Cinema. (Current films. Can't do in a Travel Lodge. Can't  do in a 5 star hotel. Can I go to the cinema and watch current films on Saga?)

5) In the state of the art gym with classes available all through the  cruise. And never busy compared to the very best gyms and health clubs in the UK (Can't do at Travel lodge, most 5 star hotels have a Gym or fitness room. Not to this level though. I imagine Saga has a gym. I can't imagine it's even remotely close to the quality of the gym on Arvia in terms of equipment?)

6) Epicurean - great service and great food and drink (not at Travel Lodge, will find good restaurants and great restaurants in 5 star hotels but not always this quality. Saga will have nice restaurants and great food and service no doubt). 

7) Limelight Club great meal with great cabaret and cocktails (can't do at Travel Lodge. Very very few 5 star hotels offer this. Do saga have a cabaret restaurant?)

😎

😎 Crows Nest to enjoy a fabulous view that's often moving when I'm there, drink hand made cocktails served at the table whilst listening to a superb pianist (can't do at Travel Lodge. 5 star hotels don't offer this. I assume Saga have their equivalent)

9) The Quays food court when I want quick food  (can't do at Travel Lodge. 5 star hotels don't offer this. I assume Saga don't have an equivalent?)

10) MDRs (calm relaxed dining  with nice service on my own with a table for 2 not bang next to another one. Not available at Travel Lodge. Can do at 5 star hotels. Can't do on Saga now apparently? Without having to chat with the couple 2 inches to your side?)

That's off the top of my head

So there's my 10 goto places on Arvia. 

Nothing like Travel Lodge at all. Not remotely close.

Better or matching any 5 star Hotel in the world on fact

But my questions back to you are:

How many  of those 10 above can Saga actually match or offer me something better?

I bet it's less than half?

(Edit no idea why I've got smiley faces with sunglasses in my post nor how to remove them?) Lol

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Is there a location anywhere on Saga on a sea day where anyone can enjoy a cocktail  nicer than sat in the Pool Bar on Arvia?

Alongside approximately 20 ish other passengers

And on evening is there a venue anywhere on Saga to compare with the quality of live music and quality of cocktails than 710 Club?

Alongside approximately 100 other passengers

Until there is why would I pay 3 or 4 times more to sail with Saga?

When I'm totally happy with what I'm getting?

I would pay more if I could be shown a better experience than what I'm getting? But I need to justify it

But I'm certainly not getting Travel Lodge

Saga can offer all of these but in it's own but different way to P&O.

Its people's own money if they like what Saga offer, it's their choice. 

Clearly everyone's  definition of value for money differs. So you shouldn't impose one's own views on others. Some say a suite on P&O is a waste when an inside cabin gets you on the same  cruise. Some wonder why turn left on a plane when an seat  at the back gets you there just as quick.

Whether Saga cruise are expensive, value for money, or cheap is up to everyone to decide. Exactly the same can be asked of P&O or any cruise line. 

This 5 star vs Travelodge is an argument for arguments sake.  Bound to be divisive. 

Anyway,  I'm sitting in BA first lounge, of to the Royal Palm in Mauritius, which makes our Saga suite in November look cheap. But that's not to denigrate Saga or P&O, both of which I've got cruises booked on. Like everyone has said how we all choose to spend our money is no-one elses business.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

negronis (the way Gary Barlow like them)

Didn’t unfortunately get to try them on my Arvia cruise - they'd run out of some vital ingredients!  Same with the Seven Wonders cocktails in the Atrium, sadly only three wonders that fortnight.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If your parents like meeting new people they will love it.

If not they can do what we are going to do next time - we are going to be ALOT more proactive in the table selection process so we can get a table that is suitable for us. 

They are travelling with a friend who's used to staying in the best suites on Silversea (sadly widowed now) and my mum's bridge partner.

So the 3 of them together should ensure they aren't next to a table for 2 close by! 

Im sure they will enjoy the bridge on board saga

Their friend could literally afford to buy the entire ship if she needed to in order to get a nice table. 

Multimillion pound houses And penthouse suites all over the world and this is also her first cruise with Saga. So it will be interesting how they get on together.

She also owns a sunseeker yacht but that doesn't get used now she's widowed

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

My very first post on this thread invited people that weren’t interested   to scroll on by. No body is forcing you to read this thread. 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps I should go to the Saga thread for my enlightenment, but that is a bit quiet.🤣

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The malteesers are normally expensive enough to use OBC up!

Can it be spent on Wi-Fi?

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Anyone can pick some songs out

Have they got and intimate dedicated room with quality musicians in and negronis (the way Gary Barlow like them) on saga?

They could call it the 810 Club?

I enjoyed the 710 on Iona. The change to pulse on P&O caters for good range of tastes and ages. I guess they have the music offerings about right judging by the fullness of the venues. Don't know about Saga, but hootmemoney has a good variety. He even had Andy Fairweather Low this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

She also owns a sunseeker yacht but that doesn't get used now she's widowed

Now there is a perfect business opportunity for you to set up your own cruise line ICF,.  With your catering and event organising skills, and with all your friends on CC, you have a ready made client list!!!😉👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow - what a lot of dislike of Saga, and people with such strong views about the world that I don't like to read them.  I shall certainly stay away from this thread in future, as it is positively unpleasant.

Maybe it is time for it to be locked or disappear. 

• Like 3