Volendam 8/23 to 8/30 Inside Passage Live

gregma60

3 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

I am enjoying this trip report very much + catching up.

Just to let you know, two MDR staff members phoned to inform me of the service concern.  And, i was not even on the ship!

---Matthew

Thank you so much for the compliment! I truly appreciate it! 

-gregma 

After trip thoughts... 

Thought I would give my honest opinion.  This was our very first cruise, our very first time to Alaska. 

Hits :

Loved the Volendam, the small ship feel, being able to go from bow to stern without having to call a taxi. 

With the smaller ship, we could get closer to icebergs and more in glacier bay. 

Loved the promenade where you could walk 360 around the ship with no obstructions. 

With the limited number of Neptune Suites, the neptune lounge was never crowded at all! And breakfast in the pinnacle grill was only one or two couples also there. 

Dinner at the MDR was great! We had fixed early dining and never had a bad experience! No lines, our waiters were ready and waiting as soon as they saw us, and after our second day, they anticipated what we liked well! 

The waiters at the MDR were great at at least attempting to have gluten free options.  What they did was go over the next nights menu and have her select what she wanted.  Then the chef would attempt to make that gluten free.  Everything except the dessert was exactly what she wanted and delicious! 

Our balcony was amazing and provided some fantastic views and pics.  In fact if we didn't have balcony, there were many times we'd have to stand to see things outside. 

Misses:

Even being a smaller ship the lido was always huge lines and very difficult to find tables.  Of course most people would stay at a table for half an hour or more. Talking, reading books, on their phones, etc.  

Lunch in the MDR was horrible. It was our two worst experiences on the ship.  After the abysmal service our one try, we only went back for a tea which was little better. 

My wife is gluten free and that was a huge challenge.  There was twice during lunch my wife braved the lido and all she could have for dessert was jello.  Our try at the burger joint on the second day, they were "out" of gluten free buns and instead suggested using lettuce as a "bun".  Yeah, a cold, wet, slimy piece of lettuce to hold your burger.  She got it on the lettuce and tossed the lettuce.  She was sooooo disappointed! Heck, at Skagway the two small places we ate at had full gluten free options and plenty of gluten free buns and bread. 

Getting off the ship was at times a total mess.  Depending on who was working the bottom of the gangway we went from kindly and orderly process to rude and chaotic process.  Getting back on was worse than going through TSA at the airport! Thought I'd have to strip once! 

The MDR chef for most of the dinners could not do gluten free.  It was for the most part meringue of some kind.  He once though made her a gluten free chocolate souffle that was to die for! But even when asked, never again. 

Seats around the ship with water views were VERY difficult to get.  We would see people camped out in them for hours reading or on their phones.  In the 7 days, we would try the crows nest multiple times each day and only twice were able to get seats together with a good view outside. We would see the same people every day camped out and switching who is there many times.  We figured those were the inside cabin occupants. Luckily we could go to our cabin to enjoy the beautiful scenery! Without one, it would have been very disappointing. 

So in conclusion.  Did we enjoy the cruise? Absolutely!! Would we sail again? Perhaps.  If the price is right, if it's a bucket list we would.  Otherwise probably not.  And looking at the trend for getting less for more, it's unlikely to happen. 

-gregma 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, gregma60 said:

After trip thoughts... 

Thought I would give my honest opinion.  This was our very first cruise, our very first time to Alaska. 

Hits :

Loved the Volendam, the small ship feel, being able to go from bow to stern without having to call a taxi. 

With the smaller ship, we could get closer to icebergs and more in glacier bay. 

Loved the promenade where you could walk 360 around the ship with no obstructions. 

With the limited number of Neptune Suites, the neptune lounge was never crowded at all! And breakfast in the pinnacle grill was only one or two couples also there. 

Dinner at the MDR was great! We had fixed early dining and never had a bad experience! No lines, our waiters were ready and waiting as soon as they saw us, and after our second day, they anticipated what we liked well! 

The waiters at the MDR were great at at least attempting to have gluten free options.  What they did was go over the next nights menu and have her select what she wanted.  Then the chef would attempt to make that gluten free.  Everything except the dessert was exactly what she wanted and delicious! 

Our balcony was amazing and provided some fantastic views and pics.  In fact if we didn't have balcony, there were many times we'd have to stand to see things outside. 

Misses:

Even being a smaller ship the lido was always huge lines and very difficult to find tables.  Of course most people would stay at a table for half an hour or more. Talking, reading books, on their phones, etc.  

Lunch in the MDR was horrible. It was our two worst experiences on the ship.  After the abysmal service our one try, we only went back for a tea which was little better. 

My wife is gluten free and that was a huge challenge.  There was twice during lunch my wife braved the lido and all she could have for dessert was jello.  Our try at the burger joint on the second day, they were "out" of gluten free buns and instead suggested using lettuce as a "bun".  Yeah, a cold, wet, slimy piece of lettuce to hold your burger.  She got it on the lettuce and tossed the lettuce.  She was sooooo disappointed! Heck, at Skagway the two small places we ate at had full gluten free options and plenty of gluten free buns and bread. 

Getting off the ship was at times a total mess.  Depending on who was working the bottom of the gangway we went from kindly and orderly process to rude and chaotic process.  Getting back on was worse than going through TSA at the airport! Thought I'd have to strip once! 

The MDR chef for most of the dinners could not do gluten free.  It was for the most part meringue of some kind.  He once though made her a gluten free chocolate souffle that was to die for! But even when asked, never again. 

Seats around the ship with water views were VERY difficult to get.  We would see people camped out in them for hours reading or on their phones.  In the 7 days, we would try the crows nest multiple times each day and only twice were able to get seats together with a good view outside. We would see the same people every day camped out and switching who is there many times.  We figured those were the inside cabin occupants. Luckily we could go to our cabin to enjoy the beautiful scenery! Without one, it would have been very disappointing. 

So in conclusion.  Did we enjoy the cruise? Absolutely!! Would we sail again? Perhaps.  If the price is right, if it's a bucket list we would.  Otherwise probably not.  And looking at the trend for getting less for more, it's unlikely to happen. 

-gregma 

Really excellent summary, nicely written and the whole thread was a pleasure to read. 

Your comment about not needing a taxi to get from bow to stern made me laugh out loud!  I was a bit surprised about the numer of pax on this R class ship and know that can be a let-down and detract from the experience, especially the Lido seating.  The gluten-free problems sould not have happened: HAL can do better.

Glad you did have some good times and enjoyed Glacier Bay, your Suite, the Neptune Lounge and the service. Maybe some day you will find that bucket-list cruise and return :)

Great comments on your trip and the Volendam.  We are on her AGAIN in a couple of weeks, so your information really helps.  I do like this size ship, which coupled with three elevator banks makes it so easy to get around (great for us folks with walking issues). And the cabins are larger than the newer ships.  Further, as you stated, the Neptune Lounge is a much quieter place with better service IMO.  While the Pinnacle Grill is great for breakfast, it lacks views of the outside, which I miss.

I think the issue of so many people taking up the public viewing spots is two fold - first, Alaska is a great place for scenic sailing.  Second, the Volendam has a lower ratio of cabins with a balcony as compared to the larger HAL ships, so more people (in Insides and Ocean views) use these spaces.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:53 AM, SilvertoGold said:

Really excellent summary, nicely written and the whole thread was a pleasure to read. 

Your comment about not needing a taxi to get from bow to stern made me laugh out loud!  I was a bit surprised about the numer of pax on this R class ship and know that can be a let-down and detract from the experience, especially the Lido seating.  The gluten-free problems sould not have happened: HAL can do better.

Glad you did have some good times and enjoyed Glacier Bay, your Suite, the Neptune Lounge and the service. Maybe some day you will find that bucket-list cruise and return 🙂

Thank you so much for the kind compliment!  It is nice to know at least a few have found value in this.  I very much overall enjoyed the cruise and the ship!  Yes, there were what managers would call "opportunities", or "learning moments" :), but nothing even coming close to "ruining the cruise".

Oh, I do have a bucket list 🙂  Panama Canal transit.  Once it goes down to under 10k I might just do it.  Yes, it would have to be in a neptune suite (or one of the corner suites on the ships that have those.)

-gregma 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 6:54 AM, DaveOKC said:

I do like this size ship, which coupled with three elevator banks makes it so easy to get around (great for us folks with walking issues).

You are exactly right.  I think there were at most 3 times that we ever experienced a full elevator and never twice in a row.  We used the forward bank 95% of the time, it's not that long of a walk to get to it.  I know the middle aft bank had 3 of the 4 elevators OOS for a few days, but even that didn't really put too much stress on availability!

On 9/4/2023 at 6:54 AM, DaveOKC said:

I think the issue of so many people taking up the public viewing spots is two fold - first, Alaska is a great place for scenic sailing.  Second, the Volendam has a lower ratio of cabins with a balcony as compared to the larger HAL ships, so more people (in Insides and Ocean views) use these spaces.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Didn't even think of the ratio of balcony vs non.  That would indeed put more stress on those coveted public area seats.  Again, not an issue at all with us as we had a HUGE balcony and used it often.

-gregma

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

Thank you so much for the kind compliment!  It is nice to know at least a few have found value in this.  I very much overall enjoyed the cruise and the ship!  Yes, there were what managers would call "opportunities", or "learning moments" :), but nothing even coming close to "ruining the cruise".

Oh, I do have a bucket list 🙂  Panama Canal transit.  Once it goes down to under 10k I might just do it.  Yes, it would have to be in a neptune suite (or one of the corner suites on the ships that have those.)

-gregma 

HAL does the Panama transits very well. We've done 6 and loved each one.  If and when you do this cruise, you must come back to this CC board and get some tips on how to enjoy this crossing. 

11 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

HAL does the Panama transits very well. We've done 6 and loved each one.  If and when you do this cruise, you must come back to this CC board and get some tips on how to enjoy this crossing. 

This will for sure be my first place to look.  I'll have LOTS of questions!  Just as I did with this (my first) cruise.  Learned so much!  Also learned from youtubers, but there are very few who actually cruise HA, they mainly vlog about the other lines.  

-gregma

• Like 2

Panama Canal cruise - the ultimate deal is to score an aftwrap on deck 5 on one of the Vista class ships.  Doing the canal on this was fantastic!  You really get to see many angles of the canal operation and we even were able to talk to the Mule operators!

One time, on another cruise we held a Cruise Critic meeting in our cabin and had 40 people on the balcony!  Sounds crazy but its true.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Panama Canal cruise - the ultimate deal is to score an aftwrap on deck 5 on one of the Vista class ships.  Doing the canal on this was fantastic!  You really get to see many angles of the canal operation and we even were able to talk to the Mule operators!

One time, on another cruise we held a Cruise Critic meeting in our cabin and had 40 people on the balcony!  Sounds crazy but its true.

That is the exact ones I'm really thinking about.  Are those neptune?

-gregma