Can you take on board purchased wine with you?

Ready2go11

On an upcoming Rotterdam cruise, I would like to purchase a bottle of champagne they do not sell by the glass when we eat at Rudis. Since we are unlikely to finish the bottle at dinner, can we take it with us to our cabin or elsewhere on the ship to enjoy? 

I know they usually will hold an opened bottle of wine for you in the back for the next dinner, but we have a great champagne keeper gadget that will keep the bubbles longer and we may want to enjoy later that evening too. 

thank you 

29 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

On an upcoming Rotterdam cruise, I would like to purchase a bottle of champagne they do not sell by the glass when we eat at Rudis. Since we are unlikely to finish the bottle at dinner, can we take it with us to our cabin or elsewhere on the ship to enjoy? 

I know they usually will hold an opened bottle of wine for you in the back for the next dinner, but we have a great champagne keeper gadget that will keep the bubbles longer and we may want to enjoy later that evening too. 

thank you 

You sure can.  It’s your wine.  You can ask them to send it up or just take it with you.  No problem at all.  Enjoy 🙂 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Officially, HAL charges $20 corkage fee on every bottle. Unofficially, they sometimes forget to do it. You are supposed to carry the wine or champagne in your carry on luggage, not checked bag.

This is true and is important  (as a newbie, I only recently learned this).  But  the OP is asking, in his title and text, about taking wine to his room he already *purchased* at Rudi's.

I did what the OP wants to do several times a few months ago when I was on board so I could be sure and properly get the air out to save the wine.  My packing list includes a champagne stopper and an air removal pump with several rubber stoppers to go with the pump.  On other lines I have had bad experiences with staff not saving wine or  champagne properly, so I do it myself to get it right on special wines. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

My packing list includes a champagne stopper and an air removal pump with several rubber stoppers to go with the pump.  On other lines I have had bad experiences with staff not saving wine or  champagne properly, so I do it myself to get it right on special wines. 🙂

I never considered bringing my "air sucker" pump with me but I may on my upcoming cruise. I only have a glass with dinner and one bottle can last 4 days, and I know they dont suck the air out..I am sure that would be too time consuming but after day 4, you can tell. I may bring mine for my stateroom bottles. Thanks for the tip!

11 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

thank you 

Just curious which champagne is your first choice.  We have 2 reservations at Rudi's later this year and I know nothing of the bubbly. HELP

4 minutes ago, High Flyer said:

Just curious which champagne is your first choice.  We have 2 reservations at Rudi's later this year and I know nothing of the bubbly. HELP

You didn't ask me specifically but for special occasions Veuve Clicquot is my favorite champagne! 

image.png.feaaf6d3ff095689825e3b2cfbee792b.png                                 image.png.ffd32221de8f4abdc414fd82919403bc.png

Skol!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oakridger said:

You didn't ask me specifically but for special occasions Veuve Clicquot is my favorite champagne! 

image.png.feaaf6d3ff095689825e3b2cfbee792b.png                                 image.png.ffd32221de8f4abdc414fd82919403bc.png

Skol!!

~Nancy

Thank you Nancy,  I see Rudi's sell that by the glass and bottle. I can investigate without investing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High Flyer said:

As a prior poster noted Veuve is a gold standard and was always our first choice. However on our 2022 Christmas cruise on the K’dam, they were out of Veuve, as it seemed they were on most ships last year. 

Instead our waiter recommended the following from the Rudi’s menu and we really enjoyed it.  We have not been able to find at home so looking forward to enjoying on board again.  

TAITTINGER PRESTIGE ROSÉ, CHAMPAGNE

well balanced rich berry fruits, background spices, with strawberry and wild-cherry flavors

bottle 105

• Thanks 1

Also another tip...stop by the host station when they open and ask them to make sure they have a COLD bottle waiting for you and make sure it is cold before they open it. 

We were sailing with my brother last spring on Nieuw Statendam and he ordered a bottle of Ruinart in Pinnacle and they served it right out of the display case at room temperature.