Is Aurea worth it compared to Fantastica?

VernRDH

7 hours ago, DrSea said:

Can I ask what health problems pushed you to go to YC? Just so that I know for my patients when I make recommendations. 

Yes....he's going to be 89 this week.  He had colon cancer/surgery last December.  Internally, he had a complete recovery.  His blood work etc is excellent.  But his mobility/balance remains a problem.

I chose YC because he wasn't "buffet ready"....in terms of carrying plates of food to a table somewhere in the middle of a crowded large area.

Besides the excellent service in the YC....it's a small contained area.  He never was more than a couple of feet away from a wall (to hang on to for security).  The physical layout, the proximity of everything (helped by the YC elevator)...and butlers/workers all over the place gave him a lot of security.

When we got off that cruise....I told his oncologist that "he was like 10 years ago".  He got on the ship and put his cane in a corner, never to use it again until disembarkation.

Fast forward to NCL Escape (got off yesterday).  Going back with "the masses" wasn't a problem for me (although I still prefer YC) but DH still isn't "buffet ready".  He had an "almost fall" when he decided to carry a plate of food in the buffet (luckily I caught him before he hit the ground).  After that I was the butler, I was the hand holder, I held the places in line etc.  The cane was his constant companion.  He got off the Escape with a cold...this is what happens when you're with the masses.

Bottom line....for those needing a little TLC....YC is the way to go!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes....he's going to be 89 this week.  He had colon cancer/surgery last December.  Internally, he had a complete recovery.  His blood work etc is excellent.  But his mobility/balance remains a problem.

I chose YC because he wasn't "buffet ready"....in terms of carrying plates of food to a table somewhere in the middle of a crowded large area.

Besides the excellent service in the YC....it's a small contained area.  He never was more than a couple of feet away from a wall (to hang on to for security).  The physical layout, the proximity of everything (helped by the YC elevator)...and butlers/workers all over the place gave him a lot of security.

When we got off that cruise....I told his oncologist that "he was like 10 years ago".  He got on the ship and put his cane in a corner, never to use it again until disembarkation.

Fast forward to NCL Escape (got off yesterday).  Going back with "the masses" wasn't a problem for me (although I still prefer YC) but DH still isn't "buffet ready".  He had an "almost fall" when he decided to carry a plate of food in the buffet (luckily I caught him before he hit the ground).  After that I was the butler, I was the hand holder, I held the places in line etc.  The cane was his constant companion.  He got off the Escape with a cold...this is what happens when you're with the masses.

Bottom line....for those needing a little TLC....YC is the way to go!

I'm glad he won his battle with cancer. 

Yes it makes sense why you would pick the YC with mobility issues. I think NCL can help with the food, but it's always hard to find someone who can help 

On 9/9/2023 at 4:37 PM, UPNYGuy said:

that’s why I didn’t mention what the type of school was at first. I didn’t want to make it seem like I was singling them out just because they were a private religious school. To me, that part is irrelevant. The fact they were poorly behaved is the relevant part. 

I'm sorry.  You wanted to avoid mentioning that these were kids from private schools, but didn't want to single them out; yet you had no qualms about mentioning a religious affiliation.  SMH!

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

I'm sorry.  You wanted to avoid mentioning that these were kids from private schools, but didn't want to single them out; yet you had no qualms about mentioning a religious affiliation.  SMH!

no I meant I was trying to avoid mentioning the religious affiliation and realized how it sounded after I posted that. I mentioned that simply due to the fact that they chartered out LeBisteo for dietary needs, but it was never utilized.  I don’t care if it was a religious institution or not, the groups onboard were terrible. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JAGR said:

You can shake your head all you want...but because of behavior displayed by this sub-group....it makes lots of people dislike the entire group.  As a mainstream member, I can only say that their behavior was a complete embarrassment.

And re-read his post....he mentioned private school but didn't mention religion until I asked if it was a specific cruise.

50 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

You can shake your head all you want...but because of behavior displayed by this sub-group....it makes lots of people dislike the entire group.  As a mainstream member, I can only say that their behavior was a complete embarrassment.

And re-read his post....he mentioned private school but didn't mention religion until I asked if it was a specific cruise.

I did.  He and I clarified our thinking without any input from you.  Please re-read my post.  To quote you, you said, "Was that the infamous "school break" in January cruise?  If so....I know all about it."  Since you knew all about it, he simply could have said yes it was that cruise.  Or, as he himself stated, he could have simply added to the previous mention of private school that it was religiously affiliated.  By naming the specific religion, the fear is that it could be see as having bias or create a negative consequence.  TMI at best

Soooo…to get back to the original question. We enjoy Aurea. It allows us to get to the port anytime and board early along with Diamond members. We enjoy the quietness on Deck 19 (at least on the Seaside and Seashore). The huge balconies on deck 9 are fantastic. My husband enjoys going to the saunas and the relaxation areas. And, anytime dining is an added plus. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

"When we got off that cruise....I told his oncologist that "he was like 10 years ago".  He got on the ship and put his cane in a corner, never to use it again until disembarkation."

Best thing I'm likely to read all week. Thank you for sharing, Ms. T.K. 

Best regards to your hubby, too. 

• Like 1

NYC Public School Recess 2023/2024, due to Passover falling so late Spring Recess is split.

November 23–24 Thursday– Friday Thanksgiving Recess, schools closed
December 25–January 1 Monday– Monday Winter Recess, schools closed
February 19–
Monday– Friday Midwinter Recess, schools closed
March 29–April 1 Friday–Monday Easter Weekend, schools closed
April 22–30 Monday– Tuesday Spring Recess, schools closed

Edited by Brighton Line

We booked yesterday, went with Aurea on deck 13.  Used a travel agent, which I haven't done in 20 years as one local one offers transportation to Brooklyn and I am not necessarily interested in driving there or paying the exorbitant parking fees. 

Now to do more research!