Issues with the App & solo gatherings

Brimming irk

Hi, Ive just booked a last minute cruise on the Valiant out of Barcelona. Welcome some advice on two issues. 1. The App. Trying to book some evening events and the app keeps crashing. I’ve tried re-installing, clearing cache & updating operating system but still not able to book restaurants or shows. Any suggestions?

2. Are there any solo gatherings on board ? thanks in advance . 

25 minutes ago, Brimming irk said:

Hi, Ive just booked a last minute cruise on the Valiant out of Barcelona. Welcome some advice on two issues. 1. The App. Trying to book some evening events and the app keeps crashing. I’ve tried re-installing, clearing cache & updating operating system but still not able to book restaurants or shows. Any suggestions?

2. Are there any solo gatherings on board ? thanks in advance . 

If you're referring to events like Duel Reality, those can only be booked once onboard and connected to the ship's wifi (at least it was this way for my last 6 cruises).  Regarding solo gatherings, there we 2 on my four day cruises.  One during debarkation at 5 p.m. (up on the athletic deck) and another solos' party on day 2 or 3.  

• Like 1

Shows and activities can only be booked once onboard.

For restaurants you should be able to book in advance but it’s likely the allocation for advance booking is all fully booked. Once onboard more reservations will be available, only about half the capacity can be pre-booked and it is possible to do walk ins most of the time. 

• Like 1

As above, onboard shows and activities can only be booked after boarding.  Prior to boarding, dining can be booked at 45 days prior to cruise and excursions farther out than that IF there are any spots left.  A portion of dinner reservations are held back and cannot be booked until after boarding,  You should be able to get them on the app as soon as you can hook to VV wifi as well as at Razzle Dazzle after boarding.  For any other reservation issues after boarding, there will be people available at the big red desk on deck 7 (excursions), people on deck 6 and 7 with tablets (spa), and people on deck 5 at Sailor Services (everything else).  You can also go to the spa for spa reservations,  These things can all be done on the app, but people are there to help if the app is being funky or if you'd just rather deal with a person,

As to solo activities, there should be a letter in your cabin when you arrive.  The common activities are a meet and greet at 5pm on embarkation day (before Sail Away), a "no reservations needed" dinner the first night at Razzle Dazzle, and an activity about every other day during the cruise. These do not require reservations--just show up at the time and place specified.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

As to solo activities, there should be a letter in your cabin when you arrive.  The common activities are a meet and greet at 5 pm on embarkation day (before Sail Away), a "no reservations needed" dinner the first night at Razzle Dazzle, and an activity about every other day during the cruise. These do not require reservations--just show up at the time and place specified.

You will receive this solo letter if you booked a solo cabin. With that said; I am pretty sure the solo activities are open to all solos on board.  I've never been to the Razzle Dazzle solo event but went to several of the meet and greet events on embarkation day.  There were about 15-20 solo passengers at these meet and greets and is a good time to scope out the who's who traveling solo.

• Like 1

You are correct that the letter should (and usually does)  appear in all solo cabins and any two person cabins booked by only one person.  Anyone on board is welcome to attend the events.  There are often people who consider themselves "solo" but may be sharing a cabin with someone,,,,sort of a roommate situation....or even people who keep very different time schedules or sorts of activities.  Anyone is welcome at the solo events.

• Like 1

I was on VL recently as a solo cruiser. Went to the solo meet-up on the first evening and there were about 35 solos. We each introduced ourselves (name, where we're from and an interesting fact/info about ourselves) and were given a glass of bubbly. A QR code for the solos WhatsApp group for the week was then shared - it was such a simple but genius idea that I hope they keep. The group actually expanded to over 40 solos that week and we were regularly messaging on the group to invite each other to dinner, activities, going ashore, asking questions, etc. It was a really great experience from that point of view and the best I've had from any cruise line in terms of being solo.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Go on line to the VV site or phone VV.  I know there are "solo insiders."    You'll find them on line under "inside" cabins.  Another great way to book VV as a solo is to watch for "no single supplement" sales that appear periodically.  THen you can book a 2 person balcony for half of the normal rate.

Find yourself a good TA who is gold tier with VV, and they can totally take care of you and should know all the ins and outs of booking.

Edited by cantgetin

On 9/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, crusinthrough said:

VV has solo cabins?  How do you book these? 

Call a Travel Advisor who can help you with the cabins.

Or go to Virgin Voyages website. Set the number of Sailors to 1. Search for the sailing of your choice and you'll now see the Solo Insider and Solo Sea View cabins. They only show up in your search if the number of Sailors is set to 1. 

On 9/7/2023 at 4:30 AM, CruisingWalter said:

Call a Travel Advisor who can help you with the cabins.

Or go to Virgin Voyages website. Set the number of Sailors to 1. Search for the sailing of your choice and you'll now see the Solo Insider and Solo Sea View cabins. They only show up in your search if the number of Sailors is set to 1. 

Thank you, makes sense now.  I look at Sea Terrace cabins.