Hidden disability

Szt

On 9/12/2023 at 3:05 AM, DisabledSeawoman said:

Orthostatic Intolerance? POTS? If you are seeing a cardiologist or neurologist for care and have a diagnosis, then you are well within your rights to request special accommodations. I would be providing a letter from your doctor to the cruise liner prior to departure so that you discuss any appropriate accommodations.

I have POTS, and personally, I don’t feel the need to “push in”, but if a chair could be placed in the shade, at check in, I would happily wait until it would have been my turn should I have been able to stand in the queue. I do this whenever I have to queue. People are understanding once the realise that you don’t want jump the queue, your body’s thermostat just doesn’t work properly! 

I am 65 and also have POTS.  After some scary moments I now use a scooter for all things cruising and airports. Lines pose no problem now.  Long pier, port shopping, excursions?  No problem. I have a nice folding travel one that I can fold in less than a minute so that I can still enjoy all the ports, whether tendered or not.  I snorkel, and even zipline if there is an elevator to get to the launch. Can I do everything? No.  You have to know your limitations. I am sure that some people are confused when they see me be able to get off and walk around, looking perfectly fine, but I don't let that bother me.  I'm glad I can do that - but I still need it to prevent a seriously high heart rate leading to collapse. Time and distance is my enemy - oh, heat too. POTS is no joke - and it's totally invisible to others.  Same with so many other invisible challenges/illnesses people face.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LuckyDuckCanuck said:

I am 65 and also have POTS.  After some scary moments I now use a scooter for all things cruising and airports. Lines pose no problem now.  Long pier, port shopping, excursions?  No problem. I have a nice folding travel one that I can fold in less than a minute so that I can still enjoy all the ports, whether tendered or not.  I snorkel, and even zipline if there is an elevator to get to the launch. Can I do everything? No.  You have to know your limitations. I am sure that some people are confused when they see me be able to get off and walk around, looking perfectly fine, but I don't let that bother me.  I'm glad I can do that - but I still need it to prevent a seriously high heart rate leading to collapse. Time and distance is my enemy - oh, heat too. POTS is no joke - and it's totally invisible to others.  Same with so many other invisible challenges/illnesses people face.  

Mine is also triggered by pain. Unfortunately I also have a very bad back and often get sudden unexpected spasms. So I never really feel safe. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m so glad I looked in here. I was just at a large convention hotel and the walking was really bothering me. 

I don’t need a cane I just need to be able to sit in line sometimes. I bought the collapsible stool. 

I only had nine days turn around which hasn’t been enough of a rest. Oh well, live and learn. These are my first major trips since developing RA. 

Edited by KBS1607

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, mom says said:

There are things in life we may not want to do, but need to do for our own sake, and that of family/loved ones. Would you prefer to carry a folding seat or end up in the emergency room in a foreign country?

The cane/folding seat is one option. This collapsible seat is another: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B87QBM7R/ref=twister_B0BKPQKP2P?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Thank you, thank you! I am 71 with little endurance fir standing in long lines. This will be a game changer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2023 at 11:44 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Tada chair. Google it. About as inconspicuous as you’ll find. 
Don’t let vanity put you in a position where you’ll eventually fall and hurt yourself in no small way.

Thank you for this post. My DW looked into getting me a TaDa chair and was able to get it on sale right after Thanksgiving. However, after using it on a 10 day cruise along with 4 other days of vacation on that trip which required navigating airports, planes, hotels, shuttles, cruise terminals, ship, ports, etc. it was worth even the regular price!

She saw a gentleman traveling with his family who was using a cane with the 3 legs and round seat (seems the other 2 stick-out-legs and/or the seat that doesn’t fold could cause a trip if the cane got rotated), showed the family my TaDa chair. They were so thankful for the information. So you have helped at least 2 families: thank you!

Tip for using it at the airport: I didn’t need it on our outbound flight so we had it in the carry bag. TSA did not put it through the X-ray machine but handed it off to an agent to be examined. So on the return flight, I had it out of the bag using it and the agent simply had me put it through the X-ray. Having it X-rayed saved time at security and we didn’t have to feel as if we were blocking others while waiting for it to be examined.

Again, thank you for sharing this information!

On 12/31/2023 at 7:16 PM, Dock B said:

Thank you for this post. My DW looked into getting me a TaDa chair and was able to get it on sale right after Thanksgiving. However, after using it on a 10 day cruise along with 4 other days of vacation on that trip which required navigating airports, planes, hotels, shuttles, cruise terminals, ship, ports, etc. it was worth even the regular price!

She saw a gentleman traveling with his family who was using a cane with the 3 legs and round seat (seems the other 2 stick-out-legs and/or the seat that doesn’t fold could cause a trip if the cane got rotated), showed the family my TaDa chair. They were so thankful for the information. So you have helped at least 2 families: thank you!

Tip for using it at the airport: I didn’t need it on our outbound flight so we had it in the carry bag. TSA did not put it through the X-ray machine but handed it off to an agent to be examined. So on the return flight, I had it out of the bag using it and the agent simply had me put it through the X-ray. Having it X-rayed saved time at security and we didn’t have to feel as if we were blocking others while waiting for it to be examined.

Again, thank you for sharing this information!

I also bought a tada 2 seat by the same recommendation!  It is indeed a high quality item that is easier to use and more attractive than the three leg one I normally carry but it doesn't really work any better tbh. My original one is a lifesaver and at a third of the price is just as good in use, And oddly enough I will actually feel a bit guilty leaving it behind but having both I'll be taking the tada. My only point is that they do the same job equally well, and if price conscious or just a bargain lover the basic model really works as well as the tada. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:02 PM, Dunchues said:

I also bought a tada 2 seat by the same recommendation!  It is indeed a high quality item that is easier to use and more attractive than the three leg one I normally carry but it doesn't really work any better tbh. My original one is a lifesaver and at a third of the price is just as good in use, And oddly enough I will actually feel a bit guilty leaving it behind but having both I'll be taking the tada. My only point is that they do the same job equally well, and if price conscious or just a bargain lover the basic model really works as well as the tada. 

@Dunchues  would you mind posting a link to the one you own and like that was 1/3 the price of the TaDa2 cane-seat? I spent a lot of time reading reviews on Amazon yesterday of the TONS of cane-seats available and I am still unsure about which to purchase. The STEP2Gold Ta-Da series 2 is currently $139. I don't need it for the cane but for the seat. I'm not sure which product is best. I read reviews of the collapsible plastic stool that someone else posted on this thread but it sounds like it would be uncomfortable sitting on it for any length of time so I'm still "shopping".

TIA!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, BAYA said:

@Dunchues  would you mind posting a link to the one you own and like that was 1/3 the price of the TaDa2 cane-seat? I spent a lot of time reading reviews on Amazon yesterday of the TONS of cane-seats available and I am still unsure about which to purchase. The STEP2Gold Ta-Da series 2 is currently $139. I don't need it for the cane but for the seat. I'm not sure which product is best. I read reviews of the collapsible plastic stool that someone else posted on this thread but it sounds like it would be uncomfortable sitting on it for any length of time so I'm still "shopping".

TIA!

I'm not up to links! This is inexpensive on Amazon and i have it as a spare in my truck, less than 30$;      

Drive Medical RTL10365-ADJ Adjustable Lightweight Folding Cane with Seat, Black.

I use this one most of the time as i am a pretty full size unit, around 50$;

Yayayo Hold 440 lbs Folding Canes with Seat Walking Stick Height Adjustment Cane Seat.

Really, none are comfortable for very long but for me the Yayayo one is best, then Tada, then the Drive one. They are all built well, the cheaper ones will last a very long time but it doesn't take long to wear out the little rubber foot. There's only one contact point while walking of course so you can swap them from the other feet but you'll need replacements pretty fast.

I too don't need a cane for support, it's just a seat when I need it which tends to be pretty often, and I need it right then so these are life savers for me. Essentially the only difference is style, the Tada looks better probably but the others are not hard to open and are probably easier to walk with as the handle and contact point is smaller.

Incidentally , there is a 4 leg style available, I tried one as I assumed it would be more stable in use as you sit on it like a chair. It isn't,  and its a nightmare to travel about with also. The tripod designs are perfectly stable as long as you sit on them facing the stick. 

In a long queue for a cruise or airplane check in etc you will be surprised at the longing looks you’ll get using one. An entrepreneurial idea for you, like selling umbrellas on a rainy day you could clean up buying a few drive units and selling them for double to worn out travellers and get a Tada for nothing! But honestly, in use, it isnt better than a Yayayo and if you're of a slighter build the Drive will be as good as any.

P.S. I tried several fold up tripod seats and all were a nuisance getting up from, uncomfortable and awkward to carry. I'd urge you to get one of the inexpensive ones above first and see how you get on, you won't regret it.

Edited by Dunchues
Add info
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dunchues said:

I'm not up to links! This is inexpensive on Amazon and i have it as a spare in my truck, less than 30$;      

Drive Medical RTL10365-ADJ Adjustable Lightweight Folding Cane with Seat, Black.

I use this one most of the time as i am a pretty full size unit, around 50$;

Yayayo Hold 440 lbs Folding Canes with Seat Walking Stick Height Adjustment Cane Seat.

Really, none are comfortable for very long but for me the Yayayo one is best, then Tada, then the Drive one. [snip]

P.S. I tried several fold up tripod seats and all were a nuisance getting up from, uncomfortable and awkward to carry. I'd urge you to get one of the inexpensive ones above first and see how you get on, you won't regret it.

I think your idea of trying a $50 one first (Vayayo) to see how I like it is great. The stakes are low for my next Caribbean cruise in March so I can try it out then. If it works well then the next two cruises in Europe I'll be all set, otherwise I will splurge on the TaDa.

Thanks for the info!

4 minutes ago, BAYA said:

I think your idea of trying a $50 one first (Vayayo) to see how I like it is great. The stakes are low for my next Caribbean cruise in March so I can try it out then. If it works well then the next two cruises in Europe I'll be all set, otherwise I will splurge on the TaDa.

Thanks for the info!

You'll be pleased and surprised at how well it does its job.

• Like 1