Hidden disability

Szt

I’d love some advice. I have some health issues that make standing in line extremely difficult. For one, I have a bad back. It gets very painful to stand for more than a few minutes. Walking is actually easier than standing. The second problem is- I have a rare condition where- if I stand still for more than 10 minutes I pass out. It’s much worse in the heat. I come to as soon as I’m horizontal, and does no damage ( unless I hit something on the way down) but it’s very uncomfortable, not to mention embarrassing. 
I’m relatively young, 60, and don’t look it (so I’m told). So when I ask for special accommodations people look at me suspiciously. I am not trying to jump a line  or get in anywhere faster. Sometimes I can sit near the front of the line, then jump in when my husband gets to the front. But that’s not always possible. I don’t want to carry a walker or fold up seat around. I don’t even like carrying a purse. 

Any suggestions?

Before I knew what was wrong with me, I passed out and hit my head, hard. I have never completely recovered from the brain injury I suffered. Now I know what it feels like when it’s about to happen and can usually sit or lay down before it happens. 
thanks. I’ll look that up. 

I'd carry a cane to 'advertise' my issue.  After joint replacements over the years, I was unable to stand still very long until I learned to rock back and forth from one foot to the other waiting in a line.  But if you're passing out, you need to get over whatever issue you have and use whatever it takes to be sure you DON'T pass out again.  

• Like 7

There are things in life we may not want to do, but need to do for our own sake, and that of family/loved ones. Would you prefer to carry a folding seat or end up in the emergency room in a foreign country?

The cane/folding seat is one option. This collapsible seat is another: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B87QBM7R/ref=twister_B0BKPQKP2P?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You should not feel bad for asking for disability access with an invisible disability. But expecting to jump to the front of the line and not have to stand for more than 10 minutes while traveling is irresponsible. You should carry something that will allow you to sit when needed.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Szt said:

I’d love some advice. I have some health issues that make standing in line extremely difficult. For one, I have a bad back. It gets very painful to stand for more than a few minutes. Walking is actually easier than standing. The second problem is- I have a rare condition where- if I stand still for more than 10 minutes I pass out. It’s much worse in the heat. I come to as soon as I’m horizontal, and does no damage ( unless I hit something on the way down) but it’s very uncomfortable, not to mention embarrassing. 
I’m relatively young, 60, and don’t look it (so I’m told). So when I ask for special accommodations people look at me suspiciously. I am not trying to jump a line  or get in anywhere faster. Sometimes I can sit near the front of the line, then jump in when my husband gets to the front. But that’s not always possible. I don’t want to carry a walker or fold up seat around. I don’t even like carrying a purse. 

Any suggestions?

I don't follow.  If you are not asking to jump the line, what special accommodation are you asking about?  If you don't want to use something like @Flatbush Flyer suggests, perhaps you could ask for a place to sit until the line moves.  

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I'd carry a cane to 'advertise' my issue.  After joint replacements over the years, I was unable to stand still very long until I learned to rock back and forth from one foot to the other waiting in a line.  But if you're passing out, you need to get over whatever issue you have and use whatever it takes to be sure you DON'T pass out again.  

I do rock. That helps a lot. I think I look like I have to go to the bathroom. 😳. But you’re all right about vanity. I just don’t like people to think I’m rude. I posted this as much because I want people to be aware, healthy looking people may have issues you can’t see. Don’t judge. My niece is autistic. She freaks out waiting in line. At Disney they let her go to the front. But if looks could kill…

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I don't follow.  If you are not asking to jump the line, what special accommodation are you asking about?  If you don't want to use something like @Flatbush Flyer suggests, perhaps you could ask for a place to sit until the line moves.  

There isn’t always a place to sit at the top Of the line, even floor or ground space. Often just leaning on a wall works. But there are often times when the only way to the front is through the line. And that’s where the dirty looks come in. I had seen canes that allow you to lean into a seat. But I’m not a petite person. But I did just look on Amazon at the earlier suggestion. There are little seats that fold up into the size of a water bottle. I think those will work well. I may even get one for my husband who has leg pain from diabetes. 

Just now, Szt said:

There isn’t always a place to sit at the top Of the line, even floor or ground space. Often just leaning on a wall works. But there are often times when the only way to the front is through the line. And that’s where the dirty looks come in. I had seen canes that allow you to lean into a seat. But I’m not a petite person. But I did just look on Amazon at the earlier suggestion. There are little seats that fold up into the size of a water bottle. I think those will work well. I may even get one for my husband who has leg pain from diabetes. 

Disney stopped this practice because dishonest people were taking advantage. I believe now folks with disabilities are given a time to come back so they don’t have to wait in line, so it is still a wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Disney stopped this practice because dishonest people were taking advantage. I believe now folks with disabilities are given a time to come back so they don’t have to wait in line, so it is still a wait.

You are right. My sister snapped at a person in the line once who made a comment about “I wish I had a disability so I could get in the fast line”. Disney now makes it VERY difficult to get the pass to do that. If you are not in a wheelchair, they deem you healthy enough to stand in line. I don’t blame them. All those who didn’t need it ruined it for those of us who did. It’s one of the reasons I don’t go to Disney anymore. That and the heat and many rides make me sick. That’s no one’s fault. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Szt said:

If an MDR line, seems there are always some chairs near the check-in desk, at least on the mainstream lines I've experienced.   Buffet line would be a different problem.  Harsh reality of many cruise ship populations is that a fair number of folks in line will likely have one or more issues making it difficult to stand for long periods.   Your's sounds particularly threatening and I hope you find a solution.  

We have a dear friend that has severe problems walking/standing.  She uses one of the trolley walkers with a built is seat.  It folds up but nothing like those smaller folding seats already posted above.  Most of the time, she sits neat the entrance until we reach the check-in desk (or whatever it is called).  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Szt said:

You are right. My sister snapped at a person in the line once who made a comment about “I wish I had a disability so I could get in the fast line”. Disney now makes it VERY difficult to get the pass to do that. If you are not in a wheelchair, they deem you healthy enough to stand in line. I don’t blame them. All those who didn’t need it ruined it for those of us who did. It’s one of the reasons I don’t go to Disney anymore. That and the heat and many rides make me sick. That’s no one’s fault. 

That person isn't thinking beyond her immediate selfish convenience.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Szt said:

Any suggestions?

You have received some good advice, but may I offer another point of view?  There comes a point in everyone's life when we have to scale back travel. My DH became ill in Europe this past May, and we needed to visit a hospital twice. He now realizes that his conditions may limit future travel. Your passing out if overheated is perhaps the most serious of all your concerns.

You are putting not only yourself but your husband and anyone around you in a difficult situation and could injure others. A very large woman fell on my grandson and caused an injury that has complicated his young life, with him experiencing more injuries to the same physical area. All caused by a woman who accidentally fell on him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I’m being selfish. But one of my greatest joys in life is travel. I have changed the type of travel I do. It’s one reason I cruise  Backpacking across Europe isn’t an option anymore. Cruising allows us to go at our own pace. Last year we were on a cruise. I have always wanted to go to Dubrovnik, especially after Game of Thrones. But the GOT tour included a lot of climbing up the walls. I knew I would kill myself trying to keep up. So we did a bus tour instead and walked the town as much as we could later. So I get that I have to scale back. I know my limits. But I don’t think giving up travel is necessary just yet. And people on this thread have been so helpful giving work arounds and solutions. I hope to travel for many years to come. 
fyi- I have had both the fainting condition and back issues since I was a teenager. So it’s not a matter of age. 

• Like 5

Another option is to just hang back in the terminal until there isn't much of a line left.  People don't get nearly as upset when you jump the line - to the back.

I have similar issues (except the falling) and for the last few years have been using wheelchair assist in airports, which is wonderful.  Before my upcoming January cruise I'm going to try to see what options are available at San Diego port.  I don't know if it will help that I have priority check-in through Club Orange.  But the back of the line option is my fallback if there are no other workable options.

• Like 2

Not being able to stand for more than 10 minutes (currently 15 - 20 minutes for myself) is something many of us have to put up with, although not the potential to pass out.

When I'm with my partner or someone else I'll join a long line with them for a while (until a few in line behind are aware of me), then apologise to them that I gotta go sit down.

If I'm alone (for instance in a line for a bank cashier or a check-out), after a while I simply say the same to those in earshot behind me. When they're near the front I re-join them -  I've never had any criticism for doing that.

That's certainly happened to us in lines at US airports, probably elsewhere in the US - Americans have the same attitude as Brits, they know we're not cutting-in and happily accept the situation.  

If it's just my partner & I, and there are no seats with visibility to anywhere near the front of the line, we square it with those in line behind us that she'll step out of line to collect me. Again no problem.

I don't recall ever being being in that situation alone, but I feel sure that someone in line behind me would do likewise if asked.

Since you have warning that you may pass out, can you not do the same?

I know something about Ta-Da & similar cane/chairs suggested by @Flatbush Flyer  and  @donaldsc because I'm already considering getting one for odd occasions when I risk a lot of standing. 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2

Agree with the need to find a way to sit and move along the line if there is no other way.  Most people are very tolerant of someone who truly needs assistance.  

I see more and more abuse of wheel chairs at airports and boarding of “young children”.  A 12 yo is not in need of preboarding because he’s a child just to let the entire family on first.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

…..I know something about Ta-Da & similar cane/chairs suggested by @Flatbush Flyer  and  @donaldsc because I'm already considering getting one for odd occasions when I risk a lot of standing. 

I have an older item called a “seat stick.” It’s basically a folding cane with a combo handle/polymer bicycle seat that can be turned up from its folded position- thus allowing you to sit on it and create a triangle with your legs. I mail ordered it from a company in London well over a decade ago. Very lightweight and compact. But, you do need to balance yourself as the third leg of a tripod. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Szt said:

Yikes.  Tempting karma.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Another option is to just hang back in the terminal until there isn't much of a line left.  People don't get nearly as upset when you jump the line - to the back.

I have similar issues (except the falling) and for the last few years have been using wheelchair assist in airports, which is wonderful.  Before my upcoming January cruise I'm going to try to see what options are available at San Diego port.  I don't know if it will help that I have priority check-in through Club Orange.  But the back of the line option is my fallback if there are no other workable options.

Good idea. I do that sometimes. But sometimes the line is a constant. For example, in Santorini- the line for the gondola that takes you down to the port. It wound around and went down an escalator. Not everyone in the line was from our ship. So waiting till the end of the line meant missing the ship. Going to the front and waiting for my family in line wasn’t an option either. Fortunately, it was at night so cool and the line moved well so I was fine. The cane chair thing sounds like the best option. 

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I am sure that you already know about these but you can buy a cane with a seat built in.

DON

I’ve seen walkers with seats. But I didn’t know there were cane options. After reading these posts I did a search and found so many options! Many have a strap so you can sling it like a purse, or fold up to the size of an umbrella. I’m so grateful to the board for solutions. 

8 hours ago, Szt said:

I’ve seen walkers with seats. But I didn’t know there were cane options. After reading these posts I did a search and found so many options! Many have a strap so you can sling it like a purse, or fold up to the size of an umbrella. I’m so grateful to the board for solutions. 

I looked at walkers with seats (rollators) but but me the issue was how do I deal with my luggage.  I think I am going to go with something like the collapsible stool that @mom says linked to upthread.  It's big advantages, to me, is that it is very portable, very lightweight (circa 2 lbs), has an adjustable shoulder strap I can hang off my leggage handle so it  doesn't interfere with rolling my luggage, and generally has a much higher weight limit than the other portable seat options.  Plus it is very reasonably priced $20)

Here's a link to one I've been looking at:  https://www.amazon.com/Splendole-Telescopic-Folding-Camping-Adjustable/dp/B08HPPNWBW/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_2?pd_rd_w=cggjV&content-id=amzn1.sym.225b4624-972d-4629-9040-f1bf9923dd95%3Aamzn1.symc.40e6a10e-cbc4-4fa5-81e3-4435ff64d03b&pf_rd_p=225b4624-972d-4629-9040-f1bf9923dd95&pf_rd_r=M539Y25VFAEBJPM8TYZ2&pd_rd_wg=Vse7K&pd_rd_r=718bc43a-f0ee-401e-8c00-623f9dd5a965&pd_rd_i=B08HPPNWBW&th=1