83 Billion In Backorders For New Cruise Ships!

JeffElizabeth

So will Holland get a new ship? There was scuttlebutt on the VOV that the new Holland ship was currently being built in the Finisterra shipyards. I doubt the story myself.

One more thing,  which two ships left in the Holland fleet are most likely to be sold to another line? Westerdam? Zuiderdam? Another ship?

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

So will Holland get a new ship? There was scuttlebutt on the VOV that the new Holland ship was currently being built in the Finisterra shipyards. I doubt the story myself.

One more thing,  which two ships left in the Holland fleet are most likely to be sold to another line? Westerdam? Zuiderdam? Another ship?

Fincantieri has a ship building for Princess & Cunard, but not aware that Carnival has any current order placed for HAL.

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL doesn't have a new ship under construction. There have been discussions here about a ship destined for another Carnival Corp cruise might get reassigned to HAL.

Who knows if any HAL ship is up for sale. Lots of vague rumors here.

Rumours of a ship being reassigned may originate from Cunard's new ship Queen Anne being a HAL Pinnacle Class. She has already floated out and is at the fitting out berth, so probably well past the time her interior could be converted from Cunard to HAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a few years ago, I read that only 6 percent of the earth's population had ever taken a cruise ...mostly Americans & Europeans -with  the opening of China & other countries  filling the berths would be no problem according to economists & the cruise industry.

So even w the current climate - ships will continue to be built.... I don't know if that is good or bad????

As far as conversion of a ship all that is, is some paint &  paperwork!

25 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Thanks. The article with the 83 billion in back orders didn't list any new Dam ships. 

Affirmative. The order books I can see and journals I read have no new HAL ships currently on order through 2027.

Carnival Corp have severely curtailed their capital budget for newbuilding, as they haven't ordered a new ship since the onset of COVID. Once the 4 large vessels currently on order (Carnival, Cunard & Princess x2) enter service by 2025, they will have no new ships in 2026.

With the order books becoming sparse, it will be interesting to see how new hull construction prices hold up and whether they will drop to encourage new orders.

45 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

As far as conversion of a ship all that is, is some paint &  paperwork!

Lots of variables, not the least of which include changes to Class & Port of Registry. Yes, changing the ship's livery (paint) and extensive paperwork is required, but most ship owners also modify the interior to suit their pax mix.

An example would be the 2 Vista Class currently operated by Cunard, I expect have significantly different decors to the HAL Vistas. This is why 2nd hand tonnage is often drydocked by a new owner for modifications, as well as changing Class, PoR and implementing a new Safety Management System, etc.

10 minutes ago, Fred321 said:

On this year's world cruise HAL CEO clearly said that there were no new ships currently planned for HAL. He was quite clear that his primary focus was improving the company's financials.

So this thread was 100% about rumors...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Fred321 said:

On this year's world cruise HAL CEO clearly said that there were no new ships currently planned for HAL. He was quite clear that his primary focus was improving the company's financials.

and there have been quotes from CCL leaders to the same point: https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-corporation-cruise-ship-orders-on-hold/

On 8/27/2023 at 1:06 PM, Heidi13 said:

Rumours of a ship being reassigned may originate from Cunard's new ship Queen Anne being a HAL Pinnacle Class. She has already floated out and is at the fitting out berth, so probably well past the time her interior could be converted from Cunard to HAL.

If HAL ever were to build a new ship, it might make sense to go with the Queen Anne model.  I've read it's called a Pinnacle Series 4 ship.  It appears to be a modest stretch with the same engines as HAL's Pinnacle class ships but is 75 feet longer and is 113,000 tons vs the HAL Pinnacle's ~100,000 tons.  Passenger capacity is about 350 more than HAL's too.  Although that may sound like a big ship, it's still would just be a modest increase for what would still be a mid-size ship compared to today's mega-ships.

All that said, there don't appear to be any on order for HAL

• Like 2