South America in March packing list?

seagazer

Hi! We’re doing a 14 day around the horn cruise in March on Oosterdam, with pre cruise trip to Iguazú Falls, and post cruise day in Santiago, so 18 days total.

if anyone has done this route, I’d appreciate help with packing. I understand we will have heat, rain, and very cold weather as well as high winds. I’ve done Alaska, so was thinking layers, but maybe I’m missing some differences. 
Thanks,

Sally

12 minutes ago, seagazer said:

I understand we will have heat, rain, and very cold weather as well as high winds. I’ve done Alaska, so was thinking layers, but maybe I’m missing some differences. 

Unless you are doing a sail-by to Antarctica, you will probably not see very cold weather. It will be like September to Alaska. We did Santiago to BA in November; like May in the northern hemisphere. I bought down-vests for the three of us to layer. They were never worn! I wore my long-john shirts around the ship as a single layer (they were bright colors), because I had packed them instead of "regular" shirts.

Layers are always good, but look up historical weather and don't make the same mistakes I did!

• Like 2

I agree with @crystalspin about the cold side.  It can be blazing hot in Buenos Aires (think Texas in August) and Iguazu falls is steamy.  I was there in February (105 in BA), you will likely enjoy more pleasant temperatures 

https://www.holiday-weather.com/buenos_aires/averages/march

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:37 AM, seagazer said:

Thank you so much. I’ve been watching too many YouTube videos, apparently, so was about to order a down parka and full body rain suit!

I did take a rainsuit to Alaska in June (we did two weeks on short after a 7-day cruise) -- left it behind at a B-n-B! (it didn't fit very well).

For collecting and comparing your sites and ports, use Weather Spark. They have expanded their website and changed format but I bet anything you want to know is on here:

https://weatherspark.com/

• Thanks 1