Have you been to Nachi Cocum recently?

Cruisin2success

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

we like to ring the changes and also look for places that are less crowded than Sanchos or Paradise.

I'm actually considering trying Paradise for this summer with the addition of a day bed. I'm normally frugal and don't buy extras (we spend nothing on CocoCay but drink tips for example) but the day bed seemed like it would serve multiple purposes, besides comfort. It looked like it would mitigate the crowds a bit, guarantee shade (the sun hates me), and put us in a good location very close to the food and drink (I enjoy eating quite a bit while cruising). We enjoyed the quietness of Nochi and a smaller beach club in Costa Maya before, but we also have no problem sitting by other people around the Oasis pool on CocoCay in ear shot of the DJ. We're also plenty used to sailing with tons of kids as my wife is a teacher so that's not a big deal.

@c-leg5 Any thoughts on Paradise? Are there any less crowded places you can recommend?

Edited by OCSC Mike

I was just there and did not care for it. I thought the frozen drinks had no flavor and had more ice than anything. It takes one drink usually to hit me as I am a light weight, so I don’t mind weak drinks but they were both weak and flavorless. We tried several frozen and switched to Blue Hawaiian and pineapple Malibu but they too were lacking. Asked for sprite with crown apple but they don’t carry that. The food was also less than desirable. The ceviche was good but the nachos were chips with nuked dried up cheese on top and the fish they said was grouper was NOT grouper. It tasted like frozen tilapia and it was mushy. I liked that there was shade but the chairs were super uncomfortable and we got a visitor…a lovely snake that they laughed at and said was only looking for rats…well if they are looking for rats that means they find them and your kitchen must not be clean 🤢. I would not recommend. 

On 11/1/2023 at 3:16 PM, OCSC Mike said:

I'm actually considering trying Paradise for this summer with the addition of a day bed. 

First and foremost, the facilities at Paradise are very good. Clean facilities, clean restrooms, reasonable tourist priced food and drinks, good pool. 

BUT, I would only go there if I needed to entertain tweens or teens, or young adults, not as an older couple. I do not need to pay the AI  prices to enjoy myself on Cozumel and I do not need, or enjoy, sitting elbow to elbow with my BFF. I realize they now have cabanas round the pool. I personally wouldn’t  pay for one for a view of the pool, maybe if it was a private view of the ocean.  Whilst I prefer swimming in a pool I go to the beach primarily to hear and  look at the ocean. I realize everybody’s priorities are different so I don’t want to dissuade you from giving it a try. I saw a recent review where the loungers on the beach were nearly empty, although there were only three ships in port i believe so port load could be a consideration. 

We are also frugal and rarely do AI on a cruise ship day but have been to many when staying on the island in a condo. Again it depends on your priorities and if you want to swim, need an actual beach, emphasis on food and drink. Some names of places places to check out websites and photos that we enjoy for different reasons:

Del Mar Latino - convenient walking distance from International so no taxi fare needed - Offsets AI cost. Small pool,  no beach, snorkeling, tapas-type small meals AI food and drink, adult-only. Very small. Affiliated to Nachi.

North end,

Hemingway’s and La Monina - restaurant/bars, no pool, snorkeling, loungers below restaurant for short stops.

Buccanos - pool, good food and drink, cover charge ( maybe $20 now? - credited to food and drink, small beach, snorkeling. Couple of cabanas.

East side - (not during sargassum season), need a driver to stay with you. No pools. No ocean swimming, rough, currents, so just for viewing. We like to do private bar hop with our driver, one or more from - Mezcalitos, Playa Moreno,   Coconuts, El pescador, Rasta’s or state park, Punta Sur.  

Or take organized Bar Hop excellent organization to similar locations but on their schedule.

South side - Palancar,  Sky Reef  and Money Bar (no beach/ snorkeling)

Numerous day passes to hotels.
Sometimes we just stay in town to eat and drink and walk - not really into shopping! 

With a private driver you can customize tour to include several stops. Ask if you have any specific questions

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I saw a recent review where the loungers on the beach were nearly empty, although there were only three ships in port i believe so port load could be a consideration.

First, thanks for taking the time to write such a long response. Don’t think me quoting the above and focusing on Paradise means I didn’t read or appreciate it.

We more or less settled on trying Paradise yesterday before your post and were looking at the daybeds. Their site does a good job of showing you the view from each one if you click it from the map/diagram that pops up during a mock booking. I wish the ones on the beach were closer to the water but we agreed we don’t need to be looking at the pool (which is very nice & we many certainly take a dip in it to cool off).

Anyway, it looks like only one other ship will be in port on the day we are looking at going so from your quoted comment, that seems to be an added positive.

Like you said, and like most cruise/excursion activities, it depends on priorities. Food is up there for me. My wife barely drinks & is a picky, non-adventurous eater so bar hopping is out & she basically needs American food so unfortunately I’m never looking for a super local or authentic restaurant. The fact that Paradise has plenty of American food to go with basic Mexican fits the bill. We also liked that they have smoothies (not just virgin daiquiris) for my wife. This little stuff makes it the kind of compromise I have to look for if food, drink, & relaxing is our goal. As frugal as I am, cruising is the one time I’m ok spending a bit extra b/c it’s not always easy to find an excursion for both of us. We mostly sail for the ship (almost always RC Oasis class) and for most 7N cruises will only get off on CocoCay & one port for an actual excursion. We may briefly walk around the other port(s) just to shop or see whatever there is to see.

She’s enjoys snorkeling far more than I do so when I’m looking to find her a snorkeling excursion, it’s usually on a low capacity boat that also has food & drink so I can chill on the boat once I’ve hit my limit of snorkeling, which will be before hers.

So again, thanks for all the feedback. If we visited the islands without cruising like you do, I’d likely be looking to do more things, but an AI beach club works well for our preferences when we’re in the mood for one. We have 3 cruises between March & July & the excursions for the other 2 are a 6-hour snorkel boat trip we have done before & enjoyed & a private tour of Roatan b/c we had one planned in 2019 but couldn’t dock due to high winds. So we do try different things, Cozumel just says food & drink to us (we’ve seen ruins, we’ve swam with dolphins, etc) &, as mentioned, an AI fits our preferences.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

First, thanks for taking the time to write such a long response. Don’t think me quoting the above and focusing on Paradise means I didn’t read or appreciate it.

We more or less settled on trying Paradise yesterday before your post and were looking at the daybeds. Their site does a good job of showing you the view from each one if you click it from the map/diagram that pops up during a mock booking. I wish the ones on the beach were closer to the water but we agreed we don’t need to be looking at the pool (which is very nice & we many certainly take a dip in it to cool off).

Anyway, it looks like only one other ship will be in port on the day we are looking at going so from your quoted comment, that seems to be an added positive.

Like you said, and like most cruise/excursion activities, it depends on priorities. Food is up there for me. My wife barely drinks & is a picky, non-adventurous eater so bar hopping is out & she basically needs American food so unfortunately I’m never looking for a super local or authentic restaurant. The fact that Paradise has plenty of American food to go with basic Mexican fits the bill. We also liked that they have smoothies (not just virgin daiquiris) for my wife. This little stuff makes it the kind of compromise I have to look for if food, drink, & relaxing is our goal. As frugal as I am, cruising is the one time I’m ok spending a bit extra b/c it’s not always easy to find an excursion for both of us. We mostly sail for the ship (almost always RC Oasis class) and for most 7N cruises will only get off on CocoCay & one port for an actual excursion. We may briefly walk around the other port(s) just to shop or see whatever there is to see.

She’s enjoys snorkeling far more than I do so when I’m looking to find her a snorkeling excursion, it’s usually on a low capacity boat that also has food & drink so I can chill on the boat once I’ve hit my limit of snorkeling, which will be before hers.

So again, thanks for all the feedback. If we visited the islands without cruising like you do, I’d likely be looking to do more things, but an AI beach club works well for our preferences when we’re in the mood for one. We have 3 cruises between March & July & the excursions for the other 2 are a 6-hour snorkel boat trip we have done before & enjoyed & a private tour of Roatan b/c we had one planned in 2019 but couldn’t dock due to high winds. So we do try different things, Cozumel just says food & drink to us (we’ve seen ruins, we’ve swam with dolphins, etc) &, as mentioned, an AI fits our preferences.

No problem. It sounds like you have thought it through for your needs.

I just wanted to let you know there are options out there. Cozumel is obviously an island so activities are fundamentally water related however in recent years they have diversified. There are other activities available and cultural opportunities for those that want, (Mayan but not ruins which are very small unless you go to the mainland). I used the term “bar-hop” loosely as it is more a sightseeing opportunity tour since you asked for quieter activities away from the main tourist area, especially Punta Sur and the view from the lighthouse and beach club, but you do need a driver, (cash only and limited cell service on that side of the island).

Enjoy your day, with one ship in port sounds like you are on a winner! Nachi, Paradise and Mr Sanchos are the three places people return to time after time so they must be doing something right. We have been visiting for 20 years and have been to Nachi, 3 times, Paradise, once and Sanchos, zero! That isn’t to say we won’t try Sanchos “sometime” or return to either of the others. Although I will be following current reviews of Nachi.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I just wanted to let you know there are options out there.

And I appreciate it. Our general approach to each island (since we are content just going back and forth to the standard eastern and western Caribbean stops out of our home port, PC) over the years has been to see the actual island via some sort of tour (preferably private if it's reasonably priced) that includes culture, how locals live in present day, some sightseeing, etc. on our first visit. After that, we usually move on to either touristy stuff or boat-based snorkeling for my wife. Sticking with the ongoing theme... that's what works for us.

Our 5N cruise last week was supposed to be CocoCay/Labadee but Labadee was switched to Cozumel due to weather. We weren't too interested in Labadee and we got to try Nachi (which we likely would have tried this summer) so it worked out well. Plus, by dumb luck, Nachi raised their prices by $10pp on November 1st so I also saved $20, lol. So now we get to try Paradise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

And I appreciate it. Our general approach to each island (since we are content just going back and forth to the standard eastern and western Caribbean stops out of our home port, PC) over the years has been to see the actual island via some sort of tour (preferably private if it's reasonably priced) that includes culture, how locals live in present day, some sightseeing, etc. on our first visit. After that, we usually move on to either touristy stuff or boat-based snorkeling for my wife. Sticking with the ongoing theme... that's what works for us.

Our 5N cruise last week was supposed to be CocoCay/Labadee but Labadee was switched to Cozumel due to weather. We weren't too interested in Labadee and we got to try Nachi (which we likely would have tried this summer) so it worked out well. Plus, by dumb luck, Nachi raised their prices by $10pp on November 1st so I also saved $20, lol. So now we get to try Paradise.

LOL, different strokes for different folks - we really enjoyed our first visit to Labadee last year - we liked Coco Cay before it was commercialized. We were pleasantly surprised after reading bad reviews for years so you never know.

I would definitely recommend checking out the photos and reviews for Buccanos to consider for a future visit. Presently, I understand the pool is closed for renovations.

You may need to email to ask for a copy of daytime menu to check for your wife since I only see the night menu listed on the website these days. The menu isn’t as simplistic as most beach clubs so with her  limitations may not suit without checking, but it is a la carte so she wouldn’t be wasting AI fee and they may be able to accommodate. Entrance fee credited to food and drinks. Food and drinks are  highly recommended repeatedly  by many ex-pats living on the  island especially the night time experience, which unfortunately most cruisers can’t experience.

They do have day bed, raised palapa for rent with ocean views and also offer snorkeling from shore. Across the road is a Key Lime Hut!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

LOL, different strokes for different folks - we really enjoyed our first visit to Labadee last year - we liked Coco Cay before it was commercialized. We were pleasantly surprised after reading bad reviews for years so you never know.

It really is just different strokes. That's long been my cruising mantra. I love how many different ways one can enjoy cruising (and ports).

This is going to sound contradictory at first but we're really not beach or pool people, lol. HOWEVER... if there's included food and drinks (and shade), then I enjoy chilling in a lounger for short spans in between eating, taking a quick dip in a pool/ocean to cool off, etc. I can't just sit there reading a book or playing on my phone or closing my eyes for hours. This is why we like CocoCay but weren't excited about Labadee. I really like the food on CocoCay and Labadee looked like not much more than burgers and dogs. I have my voucher drinks on both so that's a wash.

This is also obviously why an AI beach club works for us. Off to look up Buccanos. I've written so much I can't remember if I mentioned that we'll actually be in Cozumel in both June and July but we weren't going to actually book anything for one of the two stops. If I wind up loving Buccanos and we go there too... it's your fault! 🤣

Edited by OCSC Mike

After some quick browsing, I'd actually be tempted to try Del Mar Latino just because the price is right, especially without the cab ride, and the reviews seem really good for what looks like a very strange tiny man made "club" just kinda sitting there on the edge pf the water. I don't think it would appeal to my wife but maybe I'll show it to her.

I think a friend of mine who cruises solo was going to try it but changed her mind. Now I wish she had gone.

Edited by OCSC Mike

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

After some quick browsing, I'd actually be tempted to try Del Mar Latino just because the price is right, especially without the cab ride, and the reviews seem really good for what looks like a very strange tiny man made "club" just kinda sitting there on the edge pf the water. I don't think it would appeal to my wife but maybe I'll show it to her.

I think a friend of mine who cruises solo was going to try it but changed her mind. Now I wish she had gone.

yes i think I recall. I don’t remember why she changed her mind, weather?

We go because it is relaxing (generally) and the price is right. It isn’t outstanding by any means but it is convenient, budget friendly , non-confrontational and good service and we have been numerous times! There have definitely been cutbacks since Covid in quality and quantity but we hope it survives. I am not sure there would be much for you to do if you don’t want to relax, read, listen to music or snorkel but maybe a cheap break off the ship for a couple of hours? There is generally someone to chat with in the pool.

It is small because it is half the beach front of the hotel across the road and has only been a day beach club for a few years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I am not sure there would be much for you to do if you don’t want to relax, read, listen to music or snorkel but maybe a cheap break off the ship for a couple of hours? There is generally someone to chat with in the pool.

I consider eating and drinking my activity. Sorry if that was unclear. 🤣

This will turn into the same discussion as whether or not we should go to Nachi or Paradise or just stay on the ship and chill in the Solarium where the food and drinks are free (we'll be D+ by then and 10 drinks is plenty for the two of us).

Her final comment regarding Paradise was "I'm fine either way, it's up to you." She means it when she says that, but after 21 years of marriage, I know she may feel differently if we go on our 3rd 7N cruise in 4 months and have nothing else planned besides CocoCay. Just getting off the ship for one other port holds value.

This would be coupled with our private tour of Roatan the next day so there's far less "just to get off the ship" value. It's probably not even worth it for me and I'm just in research mode trying to keep busy in between cruises, lol, but the low price makes it worth considering.

Thanks again for the insight.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I don't think it would appeal to my wife but maybe I'll show it to her.

Aaaaand.... I was wrong, lol.

She didn't care that it was tiny with no beach. Her logic was "It's the same as sitting on the beach and looking at the ocean at Nachi, there's just no beach under our chairs. It's not like we play in the sand." Pretty hard to argue with that.

That said, as predicted, she left it saying it was up to me. She's willing to try it but she'd be fine chilling in the Solarium too. And this time I have to take that at face value since we have other plans for the June cruise and this is less appealing than Paradise (albeit much less expensive).

So do I try it just for the heck of it b/c it's inexpensive or remember that I'm happy to hang out on the ship for no added cost? Decisions, decisions...

36 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

So do I try it just for the heck of it b/c it's inexpensive or remember that I'm happy to hang out on the ship for no added cost? Decisions, decisions...

I think Paradise Beach sounds a good option for YOU. 

I understand your prime objective is food and drink and I suspect you may be disappointed with Del Mar which was why I suggested Buccanos, but at the end of the day who knows?

If you don’t try places you will never know and your opinions will be purely based on speculation. I think expectations factor highly into your final opinion as well - you went to Nachi with high expectations because of other people’s opinions, and you were disappointed. I went to Labadee expecting not to like it because of what I had read, and we had a good time.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I think Paradise Beach sounds a good option for YOU.

Agreed. 99% sure we’re going there in July when we have no other excursions planned besides CocoCay (which is totally fine with us b/c we really do sail for the ship first). We also leave Costa Maya at 2pm, which is why we’re not going back to a beach club we really enjoyed there or doing anything other than walking around the port.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I understand your prime objective is food and drink and I suspect you may be disappointed with Del Mar which was why I suggested Buccanos, but at the end of the day who knows?

FWIW, while I do like to eat, it doesn’t need to be amazing food. I’m happy eating WJ omelets, ELF tacos, kummelwecks, CL snacks, and whatever for dinner. I can appreciate a good steak but we love the burgers & garlic parm fries at Playmakers too. I even had some pretty good pizza from Sorrento’s on Allure last week (late night snack of course but it was crispy and perfectly fine to me).

Del Mar became an option for June b/c it’s pretty inexpensive & convenient. It’s just something to try. No real expectations although the reviews are pretty darn positive. That said, since we already have an excursion for that cruise, I have to decide if just trying something for $100 or whatever is really worth it when I know we’d be content relaxing on an empty ship using vouchers & eating whatever. I’m neither wealthy nor poor, the $100 won’t affect my life, but money is money.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I think expectations factor highly into your final opinion as well - you went to Nachi with high expectations because of other people’s opinions, and you were disappointed.

I have to disagree here. Yes, I expected Nachi to be better… but I’m truly not picky. I’ve never had more watery/icy drinks in my life. Switching to margaritas solved that. They weren’t strong or special like my favorite jalapeño pineapple margarita from Playmakers but I wasn’t expecting them to be nor was I trying to get hammered so I just drank a few more than I would have if they were stronger. The guac was fine. No complaints. I wasn’t there to eat salad, lol, so I ordered fruit so my wife could have extra. My grilled fish was OK but it didn’t really have any of the grilled flavor I was hoping for. And my flan was fine.

We really didn’t have a bad time, I just wouldn’t go back. If anything, I was comparing it to this beach club in Costa Maya that was even smaller than Nachi but had amazing service & food. It looked like a hole in the wall but we loved it. The manager came over to chat, randomly asked what I liked to eat (I said seafood b/c my wife won’t eat it, period, so I don’t get to very often & I was staring at an ocean, lol), asked if shrimp was OK (of course) & said he’d have the chef make me something special. It wound up being a very simple garlicky shrimp over rice dish but it was amazing. They had a dog hanging around who napped under my lounger for an hour. It wound up being very charming with great food & no complaints about the drinks.

Sorry for rambling. To wrap it up, I did choose Nachi b/c I had heard such good things but I don’t think that affected my final opinion. In hindsight, being 20/20, Paradise may have been a better fit but we wanted the limited crowds & I didn’t do enough research to realize a daybed could help mitigate that. I also only had one day at home to book something for Cozumel due to the itinerary change & I had Nachi in mind from prior reviews so I just booked it. No regrets.

Edited by OCSC Mike

10 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

We really didn’t have a bad time, I just wouldn’t go back. If anything, I was comparing it to this beach club in Costa Maya that was even smaller than Nachi but had amazing service & food. It looked like a hole in the wall but we loved it.

Ok to wrap this up, (apologies for taking over OP thread) I would love to know briefly where you found in Costa Maya?

We used to have our favorites but we have been very disappointed with the whole concept of Mahahual, its politics and general administration since cruising resumed. I am very concerned about the area in general and  patiently wait to see what develops in the next few years. Hopefully it can thrive and rebuild as it did after the major hurricane, I am just not sure who is pulling the strings presently.

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Ok to wrap this up, (apologies for taking over OP thread) I would love to know briefly where you found in Costa Maya?

Nohoch Kay.

It was a last minute cruise, I knew very little about Costa Maya, and the more popular clubs were sold out. Don’t even remember how we wound up there.

• Like 1