Maho-Public bus there-Taxi back

Peachy59

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get a taxi back from Maho if we took the public bus there? Has anybody done this? It seems like they want to charge round-trip fares. There will be 7 of us, so we thought we might save a bit of money by doing this. Anyone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peachy59 said:

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get a taxi back from Maho if we took the public bus there? Has anybody done this? It seems like they want to charge round-trip fares. There will be 7 of us, so we thought we might save a bit of money by doing this. Anyone?

Save money?  Okay… Here’s one’s travel protocol.

One will not recommend it, but many on CC love it for the price.

Okay, let’s give facts about the $2/2.50alleged public bus (private minivan- aka Jintys)

Walk to Front Street, arrive at Midtown, opposite the Ferry pier, walk down main road (Front Street -Pier to left), turn 1st right, walk down side street, at main T junction you’ll meet Back Street, search up and down Back Street for a Jinty (mini vans) with a sign in windscreen for the required destination, board, wait until van is full before departing.  

Journey will encompass a meandering journey on/off main roads, stopping to drop people off and pick-up.  

On arrival at destination agree where the best Jinty pickup point is for passing Jintys for return destination.

Returning one has to stand at the pickup point, view from distance/search the windscreens of approaching Jintys for the destination sign required, flag down the Jinty, which may not stop if full.  

Repeat flagging down process until one finally stops, board.  Arrive at destination (Back Street), follow the reverse directions for outward journey.

Note the time taken to arrive at destination, from the time one left the ship to destination.  Then allow an extra 30 minutes minimum for the return journey for delayed flagging down and heavy port traffic.  

Good luck. At least one will save a few dollars, which was the sole basis of one’s journey.

19 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Save money?  Okay… Here’s one’s travel protocol.

One will not recommend it, but many on CC love it for the price.

Okay, let’s give facts about the $2/2.50alleged public bus (private minivan- aka Jintys)

Walk to Front Street, arrive at Midtown, opposite the Ferry pier, walk down main road (Front Street -Pier to left), turn 1st right, walk down side street, at main T junction you’ll meet Back Street, search up and down Back Street for a Jinty (mini vans) with a sign in windscreen for the required destination, board, wait until van is full before departing.  

Journey will encompass a meandering journey on/off main roads, stopping to drop people off and pick-up.  

On arrival at destination agree where the best Jinty pickup point is for passing Jintys for return destination.

Returning one has to stand at the pickup point, view from distance/search the windscreens of approaching Jintys for the destination sign required, flag down the Jinty, which may not stop if full.  

Repeat flagging down process until one finally stops, board.  Arrive at destination (Back Street), follow the reverse directions for outward journey.

Note the time taken to arrive at destination, from the time one left the ship to destination.  Then allow an extra 30 minutes minimum for the return journey for delayed flagging down and heavy port traffic.  

Good luck. At least one will save a few dollars, which was the sole basis of one’s journey.

First of all, saving a few dollars is not the "sole basis" of our journey. Walking to the bus depot will help us get in some steps for the day, and we rather enjoy getting to meet some of the locals. This is not our first rodeo. We've been to St Marteen a few times, but we've never used the buses there. The one time we went to Maho, we were with an excursion. We wouldn't even be going back, but the rest of the family has never been. 

The question was more about getting a taxi back. We have used public transportation on several of the islands, and it's always been fine and a bit of an adventure. It's also usually just my husband and me. This time there will be 7 of us. But, I'm wondering if we take the bus there, how difficult it would be to get a taxi back, since I've reading they give you a wristband when you take the taxi there. One person said they were charged for round trip, just for the one way taxi back.

So, back to the original question. How difficult is it to get a taxi back to the pier if you didn't already pay for the round trip? I'm also wondering if they even have a taxi that fits 7 people? I know the buses do, if we can be the first to catch it. We plan to head back pretty early, around 2:00, to walk around Philipsburg a little. We have a Star Wars nerd in the bunch, who must go see The Yoda Guy. 👽

Yes there is a parking lot full of Taxi's at Sunset Bar & Grill that will gladly take you either back to the taxi stand or drop you off in town which is what we do and then water taxi back to the port.

All the taxi's are shuttle bus type that easily have fit our group of 6-8.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2023 at 6:09 PM, Ashland said:

Yes there is a parking lot full of Taxi's at Sunset Bar & Grill that will gladly take you either back to the taxi stand or drop you off in town which is what we do and then water taxi back to the port.

All the taxi's are shuttle bus type that easily have fit our group of 6-8.

To piggy back off this, we were just looking at what to do at Saint Maarten next March since we’ve been so many times we’re looking for new things. Any idea how much the taxi is over to Sunset Grill from the cruise port? We thought we might just pop over for lunch. 

On 9/3/2023 at 4:17 PM, AlohaLivin said:

To piggy back off this, we were just looking at what to do at Saint Maarten next March since we’ve been so many times we’re looking for new things. Any idea how much the taxi is over to Sunset Grill from the cruise port? We thought we might just pop over for lunch. 

Work on $30 each way plus tip

On 9/3/2023 at 8:17 AM, AlohaLivin said:

Should be about $12.00 pp round trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Should be about $12.00 pp round trip.

That was about what I has thought it should be. I thought perhaps the taxi prices there had gone the way of the cabana price is a Cococay! Thanks so much for confirming that (sane) price 😊

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 2