Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

2 hours ago, dock said:

Pls report back, as that’s an excellent rate for Midtown and the  place looks fabulous. 
Safe travels. 

Will do.   So far very pleased.    The Host has really been nice.   I contacted them to see if we could drop our luggage early.    He replied that if there aren't guest there on Sunday night we could check in early or worst case could arrange the housekeeper to let us in at 11:00 to drop our luggage. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is incredible. 

Ok I"m going to show my age.    When in College I had a Corvette that got about 8-10 miles to the gallon.     At that time gas would run in the range of 25 cents to 35 cents a gallon.   A couple dollars would keep me going.

It was just over $1 when I started driving, but you could still get smokes for .75 a pack. I had an OLD 1970 Cadillac that if you ran out of gas it took over a gallon to get from the tank to the carburetor. Many of us changed our own oil and there were some guys with such oil burners/leakers that they would take our old oil and use it for their cars.

9 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

It was just over $1 when I started driving, but you could still get smokes for .75 a pack. I had an OLD 1970 Cadillac that if you ran out of gas it took over a gallon to get from the tank to the carburetor. Many of us changed our own oil and there were some guys with such oil burners/leakers that they would take our old oil and use it for their cars.

It was fluctuating just above and just below $1.00/gallon when I was in college, commuting from home. I remember loving watching the gallons increase on the pump gauge faster than the dollars, and being disappointed when it was the other way around. 

Last August, we were in Norway; I did the math, and their price was over $10/gallon. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is incredible.   Japan is really an amazing destination and we found it incredible easy to get around on their high speed railway.  

Lived and worked in Tokyo for 4-years.  Enjoyed the Shinkansen trains.  Just a word of advise...DO NOT leave the train to stretch your legs on the platform at any stop made by the train.  You run the risk of being left behind.  Saw it happen to a traveling companion.

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Did you have one area in particular you enjoyed the most?

Osaka and Kyoto were my favorite places.  People there have a different personality set than those who live in Tokyo....a much better sense of humor.  The history in Kyoto is phenomenal and the city is easy to visit from any hotel near the main train station.

The history of the island of Hokkaidō is also vey interesting.  Hokkaidō is where many of the displaced Samurai relocated in the 1860s.  Western influence throughout the Island is pronounced, in part because one of the persons responsible for laying out the Island for habitation and agriculture was an American. Hokkaidō was also untouched by Allied bombings during WWII.  For my money the best time to visit Hokkaidō is in the winter. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Lived and worked in Tokyo for 4-years.  Enjoyed the Shinkansen trains.  Just a word of advise...DO NOT leave the train to stretch your legs on the platform at any stop made by the train.  You run the risk of being left behind.  Saw it happen to a traveling companion.

Osaka and Kyoto were my favorite places.  People there have a different personality set than those who live in Tokyo....a much better sense of humor.  The history in Kyoto is phenomenal and the city is easy to visit from any hotel near the main train station.

The history of the island of Hokkaidō is also vey interesting.  Hokkaidō is where many of the displaced Samurai relocated in the 1860s.  Western influence throughout the Island is pronounced, in part because one of the persons responsible for laying out the Island for habitation and agriculture was an American. Hokkaidō was also untouched by Allied bombings during WWII.  For my money the best time to visit Hokkaidō is in the winter. 

I would not hesitate to go back.    We were on a B2B and got hit with 3 typhoons.   On turn around day they evacuated the B2B's from the ship and advised all on-coming passengers to find a place on land.    The storm actually fell apart before hitting Yokohama

I think the reason I had so much sticker shock with Gas prices is because I had not filled up in over a  month.    Since I'm out every day, I usually pickup anything we need at the store and we only grocery shop every 2 weeks.  

With all the complaints about the sky high cruise prices,   I was thinking maybe some of those complainers should go out to dinner.    I swear every restaurant I checked the prices have almost doubled in the past year. 

Sheesh -   I'm starting to sound like my parents -   I remember back when I could buy a Gallon on mile for 75 cents...etc...etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would not hesitate to go back

We returned in 2017 for a cruise around Japan, stop at Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, and then on to Vancouver.

We were able to reconnect with several of the friends we made.  Things in Tokyo have really changed!  The first neighborhood (Minato-ku) we lived in is completely gone and replaced with Roppongi Hills, a new city within Tokyo.  It was bazar. The old night club district of Roppongi isn't the go to place it used to be.  Never will forget that it cost me almost $50 for a bunch of grapes our first Thanksgiving there.  

• Like 1

It was also Checkin Time on United.   Couple clicks and completed.

With Gold Status for Life we are able to select seats in Premium Plus and get Zone 1 boarding.    With Global Entry we also got TSA Pre which also makes for an easier security clearance.     Unlike SFO,  San Jose is usually a breeze to check-in and clear customs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is incredible. 

Ok I"m going to show my age.    When in College I had a Corvette that got about 8-10 miles to the gallon.     At that time gas would run in the range of 25 cents to 35 cents a gallon.   A couple dollars would keep me going.

Hi Jim,  Just caught up.  Looking forward to your cruise with Ponant.  

I can relate to the gas prices.  I got my license and my father said, since I was driving  the family cars, he told me no matter what I was to make an effort to put gas in the tank.  I remember 1 time (was still in high school) all I had was 50 cents and that"s what I put in. 2 gallons of gas was better than nothing I figured. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would not hesitate to go back.    We were on a B2B and got hit with 3 typhoons.   On turn around day they evacuated the B2B's from the ship and advised all on-coming passengers to find a place on land.    The storm actually fell apart before hitting Yokohama

Jim,  was this in 2018? We got on in Yokohama, a day after the cruise was supposed to  embark. We got an email from Celebrity in the middle of the night, while we were waiting for the typhoon to hit us in Tokyo, telling us about the change of sailing date. . They told us to  stay in place and save all our bills for lodging, food, transportation and submit them onboard. They were refunded to us onboard with refundable obc .  The itinerary got changed around a few times, but it was a great cruise!  We are going back in for the Best of Southern Japan itinerary in March ‘24.

2 minutes ago, Poconolady said:

Jim,  was this in 2018? We got on in Yokohama, a day after the cruise was supposed to  embark. We got an email from Celebrity in the middle of the night, while we were waiting for the typhoon to hit us in Tokyo, telling us about the change of sailing date. . They told us to  stay in place and save all our bills for lodging, food, transportation and submit them onboard. They were refunded to us onboard with refundable obc .  The itinerary got changed around a few times, but it was a great cruise!  We are going back in for the Best of Southern Japan itinerary in March ‘24.

That was indeed the cruise.    They didn't notify us as early.   We got a phone call at 6:30 AM that we were being evacuated from the ship and asked to grab enough clothing for one night and medications and report the the Randavous Lounge.   There were LOTS of B2B's and your overnight accommodations were according to class of your room.  

Unfortunately Hiroshima was cancelled 3 times but we eventually was able to visit Nagasaki.   All I can say was it was a very somber memorial and very memorable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

That was indeed the cruise.    They didn't notify us as early.   We got a phone call at 6:30 AM that we were being evacuated from the ship and asked to grab enough clothing for one night and medications and report the the Randavous Lounge.   There were LOTS of B2B's and your overnight accommodations were according to class of your room.  

Unfortunately Hiroshima was cancelled 3 times but we eventually was able to visit Nagasaki.   All I can say was it was a very somber memorial and very memorable.

Yes, we got to Nagasaki on the anniversary of the Nagasaki bombing. Very somber at the memorial and the museum, and then a lively parade not far away.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I may be different but love contemporary and always look for flats with nice fittings and lots of good ratings.

If you recall that one we had in Lymington, UK to quarantine in.      Since we have a two week break between the Cunard TA and our Celebrity TA I have a feeling we will try to book it again for a week.   We had one in Venice that on the 3rd visit worked out a deal to  book it direct without the AirBnB additional fees.

We have very good friends that retired to Lymington and The New Forest. We’ve visited our friends many times and always enjoy the town, the waterfront walks and the pubs. If the weather cooperates, have a pint sitting in the garden at The Mayflower. Very enjoyable….

Jim,

The originator of Air BnB is a graduate of our high school ( Niskayuna’s claim to fame).  He gave a speech at the HS a few years ago ( I think when inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame) and told us how he started it ( in San Francisco) and how it and how it developed.  Very personable young man.

14 hours ago, MamaFej said:

It was fluctuating just above and just below $1.00/gallon when I was in college, commuting from home. I remember loving watching the gallons increase on the pump gauge faster than the dollars, and being disappointed when it was the other way around. 

Last August, we were in Norway; I did the math, and their price was over $10/gallon. 

Price has dropped in the UK since last year's peak - current price at the cheapest supermarket now only $8. It's a shame I can't bring some back back from our trip to Dallas. On the plus side our car (17 year old Citroen Picasso 1.6 litre diesel) does 50 mpg on a run and 40 round town.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, expattraveler said:

We have very good friends that retired to Lymington and The New Forest. We’ve visited our friends many times and always enjoy the town, the waterfront walks and the pubs. If the weather cooperates, have a pint sitting in the garden at The Mayflower. Very enjoyable….

Yahoo...   I just booked the place in Lymington.     The host confirmed within 5 minutes.

We spent a couple days in the New Forest hiking and just enjoying the area.  We also were able to take a ferry to Isle of Wight and visit Osborn House -  recommended highly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vickykay said:

Jim,

The originator of Air BnB is a graduate of our high school ( Niskayuna’s claim to fame).  He gave a speech at the HS a few years ago ( I think when inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame) and told us how he started it ( in San Francisco) and how it and how it developed.  Very personable young man.

A great success story.      Here's a link to Chestnut Cottage

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50547310?source_impression_id=p3_1694272050_rvpBfbZ5xqNhj0K%2B

All top end appliances and every conceivable thing you would need in the kitchen.  He also leaves a welcome basket with Wine, Scones, Jam and Clotted Cream, butter and a loaf of bread -  

It's located off the High Street and has a private gate to the 4 units in the picture.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc6a2551214eb20273abbea1d70f6e41.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.751ec73cd5211d196f5d13c4bd3378bc.jpeg

• Like 5

I’m already checking Uber and Lyft.  Lots of cars and currently looking like I will be using Lyft.  We leave in one hour so I don’t expect any surge pricing.

IMG_6496.thumb.png.4d10e9aac75764ffdfdb094b612e369e.png

IMG_6495.thumb.png.583da8151e220d518088efddf53d9b8f.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1