Escape New England-Canada Sept 10-17, 2023 updating Semi Live rev 3.0

mking8288

@MeriToT  The last few posts have chats among several geeks here, which I am sure will leave others wondering about the language & codes, jargons that we are using. Rest can just skip or not try to decipher & not worry about a thing. 

Image of the back of the LG monitor, used the smaller iPhone SE22 as it’s tight quarters there.  90-deg HDMI right angle adaper would made it easier to plug the 6' or 10' cable into the slot, sort of touch & feel for making a solid connection.  Next to that bright one is HDMI 1.

Go to settings and scroll down several to find the locked input tab within setup and change it.  Will need to use the proper unlock code (think of the most common, default digits - didn't bother to change it, perhaps too complicated for the installer(s) at the shipyard or during dry dock upgrade ... 

An universal remote or one that’s compatible with newer LG HDTV, tuned to the same WiFi network, will help to change the input source since it’s Ethernet hard wired (black Cat-5E/6 ??) to boot the interactive, customized Linux OS. 

A good project with sea days in the itinerary and for someone staying onboard most of the time. We’re too busy to try more or put my time on it.  Please kindly reset & resort changes made to the HDTV, for the next cruiser’s convenience.  Have fun 👌

IMG_0209.thumb.jpeg.95f686b58c4128338b4b93504a1ab18a.jpeg

If NCL would make it easier, for our convenience, of course, to provide the common HDMI connector somewhere as universal ... as most hotel chains do these days.  

Disclaimer: This is not recommended for most, unless you know what you are doing - there are other input ports there, including VGA/digital signal source - safety hazards caution must be observed.  Otherwise, invest in a light Chromebook or tablet, iPad - since you are likely "casting" or "streaming" offline, pre-loaded content and not live OTA.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

(optional reading for some, others are welcomed to skip, no comments and/or replies, etc. needed or expected - intended to be informative & not a "debate") 

A few words about the week's associated CruiseCritic Meet & Greet gathering, first, the organizer hovering from the get go wasn't going to have one.  Reason: the one & only full sea day was Day 7, en route back to NY (while anchor off VZ Bridge near Staten Island ... sadly, like this weekend too b/c of mother nature, another storm in-bound)   Then, a # of CC'er asked and then, IMHO, reluctantly set-up and request submitted to NCL ... then, announced (prior to "official NCL" confirmation, that it would be held at a given date/time & location - Supper Club) 😳   Subsequently, a 2nd M&G date/time and elsewhere - District Brew House earlier in the week (actually, 6 PM on Day 2 ... which, also, isn't exactly a good time either for many - prime for folks going to dinner)  

Roll call wasn't very "active" with less than 40 to 50, and only about half (re)confirming to be there, for one or the other, or both - not the way that "yours truly" would organize and run the M&G.  I wasn't really involved nor too active within the circle either - just a gut feeling from years of being in these.  In fact, most of the roll call for the NE-Canada "Escape" sailings this year are similar, loosely & not well organized, some didn't bother to do one until up close & near embarkation.  Social media private groups apparently were the domain.  Not saying anymore about it and what my thoughts are - CC admin & mods, sometimes, should "patrol" these roll calls a little better, but that's me & my views only.  

Anway, some of us did attended the 2nd M&G announced for the roll call, perhaps no more than 20 to 25 people showed up, could be 30 - the sign-in attendance sheet had a short list on it, and I wasn't there early either.  M&G held later in the week, which was the one initially announced on the roll call - was bad, poorly attended - less than 10 showed up ... none but one "junior" officer walked by, not even sure if he was just in the "Club" from an earlier gathering.  There was supposed to be a slot pull, didn't go myself as those are always optional - the energy and synergy just wasn't there as a whole ... better things to do for the time slot given.  

For "our" upcoming cruise(s) - looking much better, roll call is more active, has a bit of energy, folks chatting & sharing tips on ports, tours, transport & other matters - lively and feeling of being spirited.  Let's see how it go ... last week's gathering wasn't the worst, but certainly not a successful, nope - not sure if I would grade it with a "passing" grade.  

A # of CC'er are / were following this as they are sailing the Escape soon or next, perhaps - if some of you see & are reading this ... consider taking another look at the roll call and whether the M&G is happening or not.  This week's cruise with Charlie coasting along and riding shotgun, I'm confident it's fine.  Next week and subsequent ones ... there's some chemistry happening with one that shouldn't and let's leave it at that.  To me, it's just bad karma for someone to wear multiple hats, a foot on each boat and not putting enough efforts - end up calling names, hijacking rosters and confusing the hell out of others, not eveyone wish to be here or there, on both and sometimes, with the mess - why bother.  Aside from the ones that knew us from previous M&G - ship will continue to sail.  Go undercover and slip behind the curtains - if I stay silent & quiet and just act as if I knew nothing and not troubled by it.  Maybe that's fine too, right.  Okay, "ranting" done for these - every now & then, another CC will post similar concerns and asked "why" and "why not", etc.   No need to chat about this sensitive topic/subject and respond - my other motto, agree to disagree, stay civilized ... not just go with the flow, humor and patience, and "wing it" - useless to get upset about matters beyond one's "control" 

Life is too short for some, cherish, enjoy & cheers.  Goodness, less than 2 months and time to shift focus and compile that packing list, will be back soon - hopefully, the next installment and continuation of the Semi - Live series, different ship and different itinerary, ports and adventure ahead; and, try to make it fun and informative.  

This chapter or series edging toward closure, with the Escape now returning to homeport again (early) and chats going on - allow someone else to pick up the torch & continue, it's a good thing too.  Just wondering if anyone on "this" week's Escape that signed up and get to do their "Dine With (NCL) Officers" onboard - I always find that interesting, informative and fun to do, and meet other "serious" cruisers from all walks of life.  There's always "next time" and better luck - and, with mother nature & weather, never hurts to ride with the lucky stars and wind direction.  

/mking8288 - Henry (and, Susan) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

On 9/16/2023 at 4:47 PM, mking8288 said:

Just dial your steward's extension and ask for one, turnaround day are always busy but s/he will get to it.

Buffet has & use mainly milk, you can probably ask for it. MDR, Specialty Restaurants and O'Sheehan's, also Room Service usually provide the Coffee Mate liquid creamer, no refrigeration needed - like the plentiful ones kept restocked by our steward 👍👌👍👌👍

PXL_20230916_203754398.thumb.jpg.40b4c2bc0ee2618e04e00d5bc3b2efa1.jpg

FIJI WATER 😳‼️  Is FIJI water available on cruise ship⁉️

6 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

FIJI WATER 😳‼️  Is FIJI water available on cruise ship⁉️

Nope, but  🤫  post port-security in NY, Pier 88 MCT has vending machine selling soda, juice & bottled water, as well as snacks & light snacks, for our convenience - pick up those prior to embarkation since there is no secondary screening of carry-ons.  We rinse clean & reuse it to refill water from the buffet, and go ashore without spending extra - frugal ways. 

If only NCL would install these onboard - 

PXL_20230824_161416915.thumb.jpg.73bb40c7fd8ad2bf5a9515167d19c8c3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Norwegian Escape finally felt her anchorage (since late Friday) this morning off Staten Island to shelter from Cyclone Ophilia - not as bad as our week earlier ...coming into Pier 88 after 6 AM. This week looks fine weather-wise. 

Screenshot_20230924-060706.thumb.png.fc0f83b03c1e1ce47a49789ba8e0eca5.png

Sky in rough sea, swells, gale force wind yesterday with a big go-around loop on her NE-Canada run, docked safely too this morning in Beantown. 

Screenshot_20230923-140922.thumb.png.e6ba21baab504a13e1bb93c1518e8735.png

Screenshot_20230923-175405.thumb.png.e03956064534cc43da87f0943cc73024.png

Our twin nieces coming home from Orlando after a week in Epcot-Disney-Universal Studios now sitting at MCO, first non-stop flight @0700 delayed until 1130.  

Thank you for the review. I wasn't able to post from my own time on the September 17 - 24 cruise, but after I rest, I'll do a little Post-Cruise review and info about the Studio cabins on the Escape. I also had managed to preview my muster station because there was a Youtube video from a guy in my cabin and he had his key in the power slot with the A5 visible. (Theater.)

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, Steelers0854 said:

I’m pretty sure NCL has lost their minds. We thought we would book another cruise on board since we could do CruiseNext and have the 10% offer they gave us. We found a 3 night cruise that aligned nicely with another cruise we were looking at doing and headed down to book that one. It’s in February next year in a balcony cabin. They wanted $1900 for 2 people. For 3 days and that’s with their 35% off promotion. Insanity. 

We also tried to book a February 2024 cruise and noticed similar ('what are they thinking') onboard pricing. But, sadly, bought Cruise Next - which for a Canadian buying in $US is proving to be a nightmare to apply.

Meaning, we fell down this rabbit hole - 'They're onboard future prices are out of line". Look, over here, Cruise Next - why don't we just 'park' our money for a future cruise (with increntives) rather than buy an actual cruise.

Cruise Next has been a mistake for us. Easy to buy. Tought for Canadians to apply (don't pay for Cruise Next  in $US if you're not a US resident...every future cruise will have to be in $US, unless you go through an email process 'converting' them to Canadian funds)