Escape New England-Canada Sept 10-17, 2023 updating Semi Live rev 3.0

mking8288

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from mking8288! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mking8288 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

TGIF.  Gosh, single digit countdown - already slipped past T minus 10.  Has been a busy summer for us but time to get ready - knowing that a handful or two "CC'ers" knew that this cruise is just around the corner.  

Neither DW nor myself had begun packing for our upcoming 7 days cruise to New England & Canada "Escape", last sailed her in 2019, but on the Dawn in 2019 and Joy in 2022 - revisiting some of the popular New England & Canada ports.  Weather forecast ahead looks reasonably good, pack accordingly & always going to have a weatherproof jacket & layering with something warm, not really expecting to see early foliage ... mother nature can surprise us and of course, it's hurricane season but at the moment, nothing serious on alerts, let the free "Windy" App be part of the toolbox to track maritime changes. 

PXL_20230901_162506278.thumb.jpg.4e96dfb1123196e64b76f5437c967718.jpg

Found these old, really old NCL luggage tags a while ago among the pile of FS Dailies from 20+ years ago ... use them inside checked bags as extra ID's.  

Collage_2023-09-01_09_35_42.thumb.jpg.d8949d8e833a0fa3d4218a4517b5963f.jpg

We will be in one of the 3 cabins, our brother-in-law & sister-in-law in their 70's coming back, counting on us being around as needed - SIL since recovering from surgery & rehab with compound upper thigh bone fractures from an accidental fall ... Access Desk contacted months ago to request wheelchair assistance for embarkation & disembarkation ... bringing along her rollator-walker plus a cane to get around the ship a bit easier.  She's not planning to go ashore at 2 of the tendered ports due to logistics and other limitations -stay onboard to enjoy the ship while some of us head down to the gangway (Newport, RI and Bar Harbor, ME)  We typically only do some planning and often just "wing" it - let's see how well things go. 

Since we are all either Sapphire or Platinum, specialty dining booked around the 125 days mark, earlier than many others, successfully - true also for the one & only main theater production show ... comedy isn't our cup of tea, going to take a pass on those.  Ditto for game shows like Deal or No Deals and I don't consider a paid $$$ Behind The Scene Tour truly onboard entertainment as classified.  This is a port intensive itinerary with 6 stops, and Day 7 on the return from Halifax, NS to NY is the one & only sea day.  

KN95's and KF94's again, hopefully not warranted or needed.  Have a decent supply of PPE in reserve and probably will be packing, bringing & likely using them in crowded places, just in case, strictly as a matter of personal choice and in line with guidance, per one of my RN nephew, working in a busy ER here in N.Y.C. 

Collage_2022-09-01_11_27_49.thumb.jpg.6b938b2713b73c836c0551def856e0ac.jpg

Next Sunday morning, we will either find ourselves stopping here first and/or sitting next to our SIL/BIL boarding earlier than fellow Sapphire/Diamond & Platinum tier pax in the roped off area, as SIL will use wheelchair assistance - thru Door C here ... assuming things haven't changed lately.  

Collage_2022-09-01_11_29_07.thumb.jpg.4315b5491fc55121b150a52438a7d724.jpg

Roll Call is somewhat lackluster & not impressed (yours truly not organized nor really involved ... details just updated/posted within the past week, will attend and perhaps, say hello again to the good old Escape team & leadership onboard.   Posted a request on this week's Escape roll call to see if someone going to the M&G can upload the list of senior officers, HD, etc. waiting to read about it ... This Sunday's sailing apparently have a loosely organized roll call & no M&G, not expecting any useful, helpful or practical info before we embark next Sunday ... I do have & know of someone from a previous M&G, so maybe - some insider's alerts & heads up (thanks in advance, Bonnie ...) Otherwise, best efforts on my / our part to report & update - subject to the given & usual limitations of satellite WiFi at sea, as always. 

Unlimited WiFi upgrade on Day 2, most likely, agian.  Cellular (5G and 4G LTE) coverage is expected to be good to excellent as long as we are within range of the port's land signals and/or docked, and, data roaming in Canada isn't going to slow us down in any significant ways.  Well, no news while we are at sea - can be assumed to be "good" news or nothing worthwhile to post urgently - or, else, the CC community will get the gossips and non-verified "rumors" here first.  Since NCL does not wish to have guests board the vessels with 2 meters/70 cm portables (ham radios/walkie talkies, etc.) - will continue to respect those rules ... scanner apps that I have should suffice.  Live TV news & weather coverage onboard NCL ships are poor to fair at best, not counting on it for any breaking news alert - on our own, so not going to be "off the air" with the smartphone & iPhone (to track those cute AirTags "hidden" inside checked luggage) shut off & locked in the mini-safe.  MCT / Pier 88-90 has free WiFi for public use, unsecured of course but usable & reasonably fast - cell signals inside, poor to bad or horrible.  

Unlike others, we have neither dogs (not permitted as we live in a co-op townhouse style garden apartment community) nor cats to worry about, watering of our houseplants will be taken care of with a simple watering set-up.  Will be a trial run for using a travel vest to carry about 10 lbs. worth of digital gadgets, essentials & meds, for embarkation & disembarkation ... sticking to our notion of packing smartly & traveling light, one checked 22" or 24" spinner or rollerboard plus a carry-on (10 kg or 22 lbs) backpack only - avoiding the personal bag if we can.  Leaning toward using a Lenovo Chromebook again vs. the slightly heavier Sony Vaio notebook PC, keeping the cables & adapters, etc. to a minimum as our cabin has USB charging outlets, good for the portable power/battery bank.   After this, another TA on the horizon later this year 😁 😊 🙂  Here's a preview of some of the evolving set-up, gadgets & items that are coming along: 

Collage_2023-08-29_23_11_40.thumb.jpg.fff51779dc0b6dcab58281cca1204854.jpg

* Specialty dining, booked & confirmed @ 125 days out as Sapphire, success !

* Onboard entertainment, booked & confirmed @ 25 days out, success !  (others as Platinum, 21 days out)

* Online Check-In done & completed @ 21 days out - eDocs ready & available @ 20 days out ! 

* eDocs & eLuggage tags printed @ T minus 9 days out !  

* iPhone SE 2022 paired up with AirTags to discretely track our checked luggage, will board her early with just a backpack each.  

The sailing we are on is practically full, sold-out already except for Insides & some Studio cabins (likely from upgrade bids) since last week, apparently ... will share some of the "direct" observations & findings from what "we" knew about the "Upgrade Advantage" bidding - expecting the ship to be at or near capacity, but not many children or teens (most should be in schools & classrooms by then) 

Costs and prices for local / ground transportation here in the city have been rising, surging might be a better term - last time we parked above MCT at Pier 88/90 was probably 20 years ago, out of convenience then at $20 a day.  It is now $45 a day, all inclusive but a relative bargain ... considering that whether it is by Uber or Lyft, Carmel (our "preferred" car service) or using a neighborhood FHV service, a sedan ride with tips will be about $80 to $90 each way or $110 to $120 for a minivan (4 adults plus luggage)  Leaning toward just do the short 25 to 30 minutes drive ourselves and do the rooftop parking, and split the costs with BIL/SIL.  It should also be "news worthy" for the East Coast / NY Destination Forum. 

Reference and background - finally got around to refresh & located those broken or missing links to previous review on the Escape and the NE/Canada ports that we visited in recent years - they are working & accessible, just follow the hyperlink - click to read - might have to "expand signature" to find the ones of interest.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Started tracking the Escape within the last 2 weeks, she sailed from Halifax yesterday ... smooth & calm away from the island.

Screenshot_20230901-144322.thumb.png.23c97d6e7316acfbfe6615a8dcfac23e.png

This morning, the North Atlantic is nice and flat, just one more turnaround tomorrow and then, it's ours to embark next Sunday 😎 

Screenshot_20230902-113139.thumb.png.2081b7c49063cff4dbdfce9d749e0aab.png

Oh mine, Escape is practically home, already sailed under & past the VZ Bridge before midnight, approaching Statue of Liberty soon in the Upper New York Bay, what's the hurry this week ???  That meant for our CAS friends, slots & table games was shut down much earlier than usual 😳  It could be due to tides and river currents on the Hudson so they rushed back in, or perhaps for an onboard medical emergency not urgent enough for medevac.  Wasn't following her closely earlier with her speed & position along the planned route track. 

Good news being that, disembarkation in the morning will be early and one-time, likey ahead of the planned schedule.  

Screenshot_20230903-001900.png

Just realized, as of this hour - it is T minus 7 Days for this cruise ahead ... going to be a fun semi-live'ish report next week, not to mention that it's likely going to be a sort of live chats at times 😊 😁 😉 seeing who has already seen or read " the early "heads up" as I usually wait until the day before or morning of ... to post about it. 

Apparently, strange happenings with those bidding for upgrades so I'm going to embargo the details until later on, sorry about that, as I rather not release anything yet, with bids still outstanding and the possibility of really last-minute & onboard upgrade. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5

My daughter and I will also be on this cruise. It is our first on NCL and first leaving from NYC. It is my 40th cruise overall.

I just came off a storm re-routed cruise that was supposed to go to Bermuda, but went to the Bahamas instead. It was an adventure coming back up the coast to Norfolk over the weekend. Hoping our travels this time won’t be as rocky.

We are taking Amtrak up from Baltimore Saturday afternoon and staying at a hotel walking distance from the pier. 

• Like 2

This sailing would be our 3rd of its kind, sailing the NE/Canada route this season ... thus far, haven't seen or read any posts and comments of happenings onboard, maybe no news is good news ... things running smoothly as a whole.  We've visited Halifax/NS twice back in the 80's and 90's via the overnight "ferry" - love that city & gone back since again as getting extended vacation time off then wasn't easy.  Norwegian Sea and RCI's Voyager of The Seas, then the largest cruise ship at over 130,000 tons carrying up to 40,000 pax ... had since taken us back to these ports some 20 years ago.  

Still have no idea who's up on this ship's bridge, not that it matter or who's running Haven ops (butler/concierge, etc. ... some / others do, I know)  Deepak Punia was HD then in 2019 (when we had an official outbreak of norovirus onboard - yike, we made it thru that 14 days cruise & back safely) and I believe he is onboard as the GM, not sure about the rest of his team from those days.  No idea who is the CD onboard, Alvin O. was then.  Will most likely skip the BTS tour this time around but going to sign up for Dine With Officers ... won't mind chatting with the iCafe manager is s/he is part of the team to host these to pursue one of my favorite subject area - WiFi & satellite signals on high seas and evolving tech, ask questions about the status of Starlink deployment among NCL vessels.  

Calling card w names & direct extensions distributed back in 2019 at the M&G then - just for reference, where are they these days ... let's find out.  I did put out a friendly request to this week's "better" organized roll call and M&G to post any details, however - watch is still "on" & results pending.   @www3traveler - I know she sometimes has the insider's intel & perhaps ... she has an update that I somehow missed on that "2023 who's where 😉  

446798415_Collage2019-01-0715_15_09.thum

Weather forecast for nearly all the ports at this point - looking fine & great, seasonally warm, mix of long & short sleeve, fleece vest/jacket for layering, windbreaker/hoodie or light jacket should suffice - hats, gloves & scarf not needed yet.  

Not sure if others onboard this sailing are planning to post and do live reviews, add their comments & observations, etc. - welcome to add here, impossible to cover it all ... i.e. alcohol & drink packages as we do not.   Please do not feel that one is barging in and/or should be posting their own.  Constructive & helpful and useful additions and viewpoints are always appreciated ... agree to disagree, friendly differences of opinions are recognized here, and opinions on food are always highly subjective & personal in nature, our own "biases" shall be expected.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

This sailing would be our 3rd of its kind, sailing the NE/Canada route this season ... thus far, haven't seen or read any posts and comments of happenings onboard, maybe no news is good news ... things running smoothly as a whole.  We've visited Halifax/NS twice back in the 80's and 90's via the overnight "ferry" - love that city & gone back since again as getting extended vacation time off then wasn't easy.  Norwegian Sea and RCI's Voyager of The Seas, then the largest cruise ship at over 130,000 tons carrying up to 40,000 pax ... had since taken us back to these ports some 20 years ago.  

Still have no idea who's up on this ship's bridge, not that it matter or who's running Haven ops (butler/concierge, etc. ... some / others do, I know)  Deepak Punia was HD then in 2019 (when we had an official outbreak of norovirus onboard - yike, we made it thru that 14 days cruise & back safely) and I believe he is onboard as the GM, not sure about the rest of his team from those days.  No idea who is the CD onboard, Alvin O. was then.  Will most likely skip the BTS tour this time around but going to sign up for Dine With Officers ... won't mind chatting with the iCafe manager is s/he is part of the team to host these to pursue one of my favorite subject area - WiFi & satellite signals on high seas and evolving tech, ask questions about the status of Starlink deployment among NCL vessels.  

Calling card w names & direct extensions distributed back in 2019 at the M&G then - just for reference, where are they these days ... let's find out.  I did put out a friendly request to this week's "better" organized roll call and M&G to post any details, however - watch is still "on" & results pending.   @www3traveler - I know she sometimes has the insider's intel & perhaps ... she has an update that I somehow missed on that "2023 who's where 😉  

Weather forecast for nearly all the ports at this point - looking fine & great, seasonally warm, mix of long & short sleeve, fleece vest/jacket for layering, windbreaker/hoodie or light jacket should suffice - hats, gloves & scarf not needed yet.  

Not sure if others onboard this sailing are planning to post and do live reviews, add their comments & observations, etc. - welcome to add here, impossible to cover it all ... i.e. alcohol & drink packages as we do not.   Please do not feel that one is barging in and/or should be posting their own.  Constructive & helpful and useful additions and viewpoints are always appreciated ... agree to disagree, friendly differences of opinions are recognized here, and opinions on food are always highly subjective & personal in nature, our own "biases" shall be expected. 

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Let's see if I can update your very old list:

Deepak-- Currently GM on The Encore

Roland--I believe he has been promoted to GM-- do not know which ship

Kivanc-- Promoted to GM-- do not know which which ship

Alvin-- has been CD on The Breakway-- not sure he is still there or where he is

Jose--Passed Away

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@www3traveler - now that our summer break is over, we are back out cruising again 😎 and prepare to ride the waves & sea swell again.  Thank you & trust all is well out on your coast lately.  Much appreciated - doubtful that I am going see anything new posted, shall do my part to get it updated.  I should print out some of the photos taken from the Escape M&G then, should be a nice talking piece to some of them ... Kivanc, I believe he was (is ??) on the Escape as GM, read that in one of the recent FS Dailies - but, he could be on rotation and/or vacation.  Alvin was on the Getaway in 2022.  

Oops, fat fingers managed to add an extra 0 (zero) to my post, VOS carries up to 4,000 pax and not 40,000 pax (that could be crazy) - corrections should be noted before the grammer/typo/spelling "police" catch me.  

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

@www3traveler - now that our summer break is over, we are back out cruising again 😎 and prepare to ride the waves & sea swell again.  Thank you & trust all is well out on your coast lately.  Much appreciated - doubtful that I am going see anything new posted, shall do my part to get it updated.  I should print out some of the photos taken from the Escape M&G then, should be a nice talking piece to some of them ... Kivanc, I believe he was (is ??) on the Escape as GM, read that in one of the recent FS Dailies - but, he could be on rotation and/or vacation.  Alvin was on the Getaway in 2022.  

Oops, fat fingers managed to add an extra 0 (zero) to my post, VOS carries up to 4,000 pax and not 40,000 pax (that could be crazy) - corrections should be noted before the grammer/typo/spelling "police" catch me.  

I hope that you have a great cruise.  I am heading out in January on The Breakaway with Errol Bailey as GM and then in early May on The Bliss to Alaska.  

• Thanks 1

Always looking for ways to help pack & travel light - our large cabin has bedside USB charging port and extra outlets, including that often under-utilized 220V outlet - going to downsize what I bring along, fewer bulkier cables for power, smart (PD) dual USB charger, 10' and 4' USB 3.0 extension cables, and a 10,000 mAH battery bank/powerpack, NC earbuds - should make the carry-on gears more compact & lighter ... since we aren't expecting staterooms to be ready until 3 to 4 pm.  A pair of "hidden" Apple AirTags should help us keep track of our checked luggage via the compact iPhone SE 2022 (dual sim enabled ... on both AT&T and T-Mo networks), until they are delivered to our hallway.  Android smartphone backup is the good old Google Pixel 4a 5G (unlimited "cloud" photo storage) also dual-sim enabled, Global roaming ... as long as we have decent cellular signals somewhere (aside while out in the Atlantic or away from land towers) - posting not expected to be a major obstacle next week.  The plan: convert/upgrade to basic, unlimited WiFi after midnight at the start of Day 2.  

PXL_20230904_224804484.thumb.jpg.54eabbb28ef174cacb99bbb2df6004aa.jpg

Just came home from a quick 2 nights resort-hotel stay in nearby Catskill, NY (only 2 hours away) - spoiled by the property's housekeeping standards, tech-friendly outlets and satellite TV channels on 55" HDTV ... and fast & "free" WiFi bundled into the resort fees, including 2 bottled water - it's a junior suite at only 650 sq. ft. (talked about being spoiled, haha) with separate toilet & walk-in shower behind frosted glass/door ... (kind of being reminded of the Epic's room setup) and nice double sink, vanity desk & walk-in closet.  No issues doing a week ahead without the extra Haven perks, thus no bids to upgrade.  

Collage_2023-09-02_11_26_28.jpg

• Like 1

@nancyt609  Should be able to book it online at 21 days, have a great cruise - will post what we believe are useful & helpful, thus far ... not seeing anything related to the Escape on this seasonal itinerary and weather is turning slightly chilly for the ports.  With luck, might see some early & beautiful coastal Fall foliage en route. 

For our sailing, COM is scheduled for 7 and 9:30 pm on Day 2 and Day 7 (last / sea day on the return)

Cheers 😎 

looking forward to your posts.  I'm a first time solo cruiser and will be on this itinerary in a few weeks, so I'm a little anxious and reading up everything I can on the Escape and Canada/New England port stops.    I saw the latest review and there were issues with the tendering process at Bar Harbor. 

@sanabeans - We have a somewhat less than active Roll Call this weekend, not sure about yours but apparently, most being alike, for whatever reasons - also seeing not as many active solo posting ... I hope you have a great one.  

Tendering at Bar Harbor and Newport are not going to be easy nor fun, as a matter of personal opinion, going to be rather frustrating for the average & even seasoned cruisers -  trying to get onto the ship's lifeboats for tendering purposes.  It is a "steep" climb down into these large lifeboat and once docked at the pier, climb up & transfer to the landing - hopefully, it is not going to be windy and calm seas, and no waves, as it could be rocking & rolling ... you will (should) need both hands free to firmly hold onto those railings (crew members will be standing by, either sides to help with the tendering transfer) 

Just think for a moment - pretty sure we are sailing at 98% or higher double occupancies (if not above or sold out entirely) - ship's lifeboats typically carry 150 to 200 pax, the *Away/Plus might be a click or two higher at 200+ and will take at least 15 trips for 2/3 of the pax onboard to get ashore ... repeat again for the return later; plus, crew members that need to be shoreside.  It takes an average of 15 to 20 minutes to board (and get off) the lifeboats plus another 10 or 15 minutes for the ride & docking on the other end.  Do the math & add them up together - from what we saw, took nearly 2 hours for those that wish to go ashore ... folks with priority tendering, booked NCL shorex and then, all others doing independent or private tours on their own.  It was no simple then on the mid-sized ship with 2,200+ pax Dawn and we are on the Escape with easily 4,000 pax.  

Pack patience & bring it along, I can see a bit of madness ahead.  Don't count on being on that last tender returning to the ship, many others will have the same idea ... each lifeboat can take no more than 200'ish, up to legal & safety capacity. 

Linked pictorial review from our Dawn tendering in 2019 visiting these ports - including Bar Harbor & Newport - (post #79 - BH) and also (#130 - for Newport)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2662250-semi-live-dawn-canada-new-england-5112019-our-old-favorite/?do=findComment&comment=57479255

IMG_20190517_134017343_HDR.jpg.74307fe6f

As viewed from the seated position, climb up 2 or 3 steps, thru that hatch opening & onto / across the gangway ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too will be staying on the ship at the tender ports.  And will be sitting in the wheelchair assisted area.   It’s hard to say whether I will go off at some of the other ports as I am using a scooter for the trip.  I look forward to meeting others like your in laws to pass the time.   I have the game LCR with me and will be attending the meet and greets.   You meet great people on a ship

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Please find out where Kivanc Ucar

the food and beverage director is now    He was a sweetie.  I wonder does he have children now as he told us they wanted.   Is there a way to check what ship he may be on now?

• Like 1

It would be great if Norwegian can outsource the tender to the local tour company's like what other cruise lines do. typically they use those whale watching boats that is a lot better then then tender lifeboats

next year i am doing the same itinerary on the breakaway, not looking forwarding to tendering 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@canadian bartender Unless Kivanc is on vacation or joined another ship, should be onboard this Sunday, promoted since then to HD/GM position (apparently, a common pathway or step-up from being F&B Manager to being HD/GM (or, in Acting capacity).  Back in the days, the Escape was known to be run as one of the best within the fleet and they're proud of it 

My/our SIL was doing fine last year on the Joy to Bermuda in early Spring, then she fell outside on their house's front lawn - resulting in compound upper right thigh fracture, surgical steel rods & screws put in, spend 2+ months in rehab & doing PT, since recovered & walk unassisted or use a cane for short distance, otherwise has come to trust her rollator-walker to get around.  She's going to be at Pier 88 waiting, plus BIL, for WC assisted boarding - upgraded to a BB mid-ship balcony, which should make their onboard experience better.  Definitely not planning to attempt to tender.  We might stay with them to await boarding but otherwise, across in the roped-off Platinum seating area (which tend to fill up quickly & early) at Pier 88.  Odds are good that you will see them in the buffet and/or outdoors once underway. 

With Day 7 being the only Sea Day, not sure if you are going to have luck finding other LCR players - the roll call isn't exactly very lively or exciting either.  

@shof515 Great idea but I think we both know it's wishful thinking on our parts ... I know what to "not" expect and going to plan accordingly, that is to "wing" it depending on foot traffic management with tendering.  At least, we don't have to deal with clearing immigration or CBP unlike then, that created extra bottlenecks ... despite any efforts or attempts to provide priority tendering.  I am sure they rather skip, cancel or switch to an alternate port of call at the last possible moment due to weather, to dock instead of tender operations.  On the Getaway this January at near capacity, we're suppose to tender at one of the ABC islands in the Caribbean ... "due to unforeseen circumstances" was the opening lead announcing the decision by the bridge to skip & sail to another port where we docked.  Local taxi drivers/guides are knew about us coming to visit their town, said NCL just doesn't really like to tender large ships packed with pax. 

Let's talk about nicer and finer living - DW and I really should eat light for the next few days ... had a great weekend buffet brunch of seafood, so I think we will do fine skipping the ship's Garden Cafe.  Preparing to "de-commission" our gallery (kitchen) for a while - no cooking and garbage disposal, dishwashing & doing one's own laundry ... all good reasons to do a nice, long cruise and pay someone else to take care of those boring tasks.  One of our local bagel cafe & shop have great smoke salmon along with other freshly prepared items, at very good prices and NCL doesn't come anywhere close to their choices... plus the bakery with all the desserts & sweet stuff ... yummy yummy.  

Collage_2023-09-02_19_31_11.thumb.jpg.a83e392f394582d8782603022310ebc1.jpg

But, we want to tender ashore at Bar Harbor, gotta hit up that Restaurant 66 slightly up the hill from the tender pier/dock for an excellent lobster roll, New England style ... properly done. They are opened (checked & confirmed)