When is Aurora due a refit?

Malcolm142

When is Aurora due a refit or has she had one recently?

Do P&O announce when their ships are scheduled for a a refit.

Is it maritime law that says they have to go into dry dock every 5 years.

Out if interest where are they carried out?

We have cruise booked on Aurora in October 2024

10 minutes ago, Malcolm142 said:

When is Aurora due a refit or has she had one recently?

April 2025 - https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/11645-po-cruises-revamp-arcadia-aurora

Do P&O announce when their ships are scheduled for a a refit

See above

Is it maritime law that says they have to go into dry dock every 5 years.

I believe that it is between three and five years.

11 minutes ago, Malcolm142 said:

Out if interest where are they carried out?

Depends on what needs doing and which dry dock is available/suitable

46 minutes ago, Malcolm142 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I do see there is a gap in Aurora's schedule in March 2024, no cruise R403. Could this be 

earmarked for a refit?

I don't see any gaps - there is a 403N which may be because of a significant change to the itinerary (sorry, I don't follow Aurora).

All planned and scheduled into current program. Unlike US lines, no cruises get cancelled to dry dock.

Britannia 5-21 April 2024

Arcadia 7-25 November 2024

Iona 13 March - 1 April 2025

Azura 7-27 March 2025 provisionally

Aurora 5-21 April 2025

Edited by molecrochip
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

All planned and scheduled into current program. Unlike US lines, no cruises get cancelled to dry dock.

Britannia 5-21 April 2024

Arcadia 7-25 November 2024

Iona 13 March - 1 April 2025

Azura 7-27 March 2025 provisionally

Aurora 5-21 April 2025

Thanks molecrochip - do you know what the extent of the refits are ?

56 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks molecrochip - do you know what the extent of the refits are ?

Primarily the five year dry dock is a chance to shut the ship down, do the mandatory maritime checks (like an MOT for your car), repaint the hull and do any heavy maintenance on the parts below the water line, or that never stop operating.

If the hotel division decides to do any major renovation/reconfiguration then this happens at the same time but is not usually the primary purpose.

A full timetable of minor redecoration works  is planned and the crew are kept busy - many often doing very different jobs to usual.

I’m not aware of specifics regarding the refits. It’s Iona’s first so that usually means dealing with any major warranty issues. Britannia is going to be nine years old so will be dealing with any residual warranty issues.

Any feature enhancements to the passenger areas are usually announced through specific social/web announcements. Bear in mind, big changes are not the norm.

• Thanks 2

On 9/2/2023 at 3:17 PM, david63 said:

I don't see any gaps - there is a 403N which may be because of a significant change to the itinerary (sorry, I don't follow Aurora).

That’s my cruise.   It was for a dry dock but that was on the pre covid schedule I believe.  When it was delayed that slot was not needed.  That’s what the northern lights cruise is 16 nights, not the usual 12. 

Having just spoken to my TA she has given an explanation .

R403 was not originally made available to the public as a cruise. The time slot was reserved for a private  charter but it got cancelled. P&O then had 16 days to fill and so came up with R403N to Norway.

I think it  is a bit of a one off with an unusual itinerary which we were immediately attracted to when I saw it on Sunday.

We have now booked a balcony deluxe and also booked our excursions.

• Like 2

As has been said, ‘refit’ is probably not the word to use. Dry dock is the actual process and is far more about the mechanicals and maintainable parts than things that we would notice as passengers. 

When Aurora had her last ‘refit’ we happened to be on the last cruise before it and the one of the first cruises after it. We played ‘spot the difference’. All that we noticed was new carpets in many public areas, new chairs in a few bars and slightly bigger / more modern (but still absolutely rubbish) cabin TVs. 

So the moral of this tale is that expectations should be managed 😂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malcolm142 said:

Having just spoken to my TA she has given an explanation .

R403 was not originally made available to the public as a cruise. The time slot was reserved for a private  charter but it got cancelled. P&O then had 16 days to fill and so came up with R403N to Norway.

I think it  is a bit of a one off with an unusual itinerary which we were immediately attracted to when I saw it on Sunday.

We have now booked a balcony deluxe and also booked our excursions.

Looks a good itinerary  - way up to the top.

Interesting - I wonder who chartered the ship and for what reason ? 

8 hours ago, Cathygh said:

As the external windows in the public rooms on Arcadia seem to be held in place with badly applied putty, will they be replaced by November next year? 

Not aware of this problem and have read a few comments regarding Arcadia's ship shape or otherwise. Was booked on a cruise on Arcadia for October 24, but have cancelled and gone for one on Sky Princess to Canada and New England, that will be the fourth time for us to that destination, the other three being on P&O ships.

27 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I personally am surprised that Aurora is still sailing to be honest. Before those that love her start getting heated under the collar, I love her to. But seeing as both Oriana and Oceana have both gone and Aurora is 23 years old she must be nearing the end of her fabulous career.

On my last cruise, which was on Aurora in July/August, we were told (by the captain and the ents manager) that Aurora consistently came top in the feedback form scores, and if we wanted her to stay in the fleet we needed to fill in the form (if we got one) and give good scores. We were also assured that she was safe for another five years (I think) at least.

Never been on Oceania,  but was on Oriana once, and there were so many systemic faults such as the vibration, and the electrical problems, which even two extra generators plonked on the top deck couldn't prevent ship wide failures. Aurora and Arcadia don't have any such problems, apart from the plumbing which all ships (who carry passengers) suffer from.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Aurora consistently came top in the feedback form scores

That, I would suspect, is probably more due to Aurora's passenger demographic who by virtue of the ship being adults only will be of an older age group than, say, those on Iona and that the Aurora passengers are considerably more loyal to the ship.

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

We were also assured that she was safe for another five years

That I would take with a very large pinch of salt.

12 hours ago, david63 said:

That, I would suspect, is probably more due to Aurora's passenger demographic who by virtue of the ship being adults only will be of an older age group than, say, those on Iona and that the Aurora passengers are considerably more loyal to the ship.

That I would take with a very large pinch of salt.

I think if P&O do complete the promised freshen up of both Aurota and Arcadia,  and if they can continue to achieve premium prices and full ships, then I guess both might have up to a further 10 years of life left in them.

• Like 5