Deck for Boarding on Serenade

Broons77

Cruising on Serenade in October and mom and her friend are coming along who both can only walk short distances.  We have scooters rented, but they won't be available until rooms open.  They are both getting boarding assistance, but as I understand it, this involves simply wheeling them on board, they won't take you to someplace specific as far as I know.  Where will we be getting on board?  Looks like deck 5 but want to try to confirm.  Also, if anyone has used boarding assistance on Serenade, would love to hear any details you could share.  TIA!

1 hour ago, Broons77 said:

Cruising on Serenade in October and mom and her friend are coming along who both can only walk short distances.  We have scooters rented, but they won't be available until rooms open.  They are both getting boarding assistance, but as I understand it, this involves simply wheeling them on board, they won't take you to someplace specific as far as I know.  Where will we be getting on board?  Looks like deck 5 but want to try to confirm.  Also, if anyone has used boarding assistance on Serenade, would love to hear any details you could share.  TIA!

Deck 5

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, Broons77 said:

We are traveling with someone who will need w/c assistance to get on board.  Do we have to notify them ahead of time?  Or will there be w/c available?  

14 minutes ago, itsanita said:

We are traveling with someone who will need w/c assistance to get on board.  Do we have to notify them ahead of time?  Or will there be w/c available?  

I wouldn't just assume that there will be wheelchairs or assistance available at the pier. I would call ahead of time confirm that the assistance you need is there for you.

40 minutes ago, itsanita said:

At most ports wheelchairs are available once you enter terminal and go through security. 

If a wheelchair is needed to enter the terminal then you ask for assistance by one of the port workers.   

Then once you get thru security they will switch out to a chair handled by a royal caribbean worker.

No need to call ahead as they rotate the chairs as they become available.

I have heard this varies by port.

If renting a chair or scooter to use onboard you do need to fill out special needs form you can find online.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:23 AM, itsanita said:

As @Sunshine3601 said, there will be assistance at the pier to get onboard, you just need to ask a worker upon arrival.  We've used this both in Boston and Bayonne with no issue.

On 9/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

At most ports wheelchairs are available once you enter terminal and go through security. 

If a wheelchair is needed to enter the terminal then you ask for assistance by one of the port workers.   

Then once you get thru security they will switch out to a chair handled by a royal caribbean worker.

No need to call ahead as they rotate the chairs as they become available.

I have heard this varies by port.

If renting a chair or scooter to use onboard you do need to fill out special needs form you can find online.

Hi!  Hope you're doing well and cruising as much as possible! 🛳️

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Broons77 said:

As @Sunshine3601 said, there will be assistance at the pier to get onboard, you just need to ask a worker upon arrival.  We've used this both in Boston and Bayonne with no issue.

Hi!  Hope you're doing well and cruising as much as possible! 🛳️

We are doing great!    Our next sailing is on Serenade for the 12 night repo cruise leaving from Tampa on 9.12 and arriving in Boston on 9.24    

If I see anything out of the ordinary being done for those needing assistance I will let you know.

Take care

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We are doing great!    Our next sailing is on Serenade for the 12 night repo cruise leaving from Tampa on 9.12 and arriving in Boston on 9.24    

If I see anything out of the ordinary being done for those needing assistance I will let you know.

Take care

Once again we sail on the same ship, albeit I'm a month removed from you this time. Enjoy your cruise, hope you get to spend some time in Boston at the end! 

• Like 1