Family of George Smith calls for resignation of Uncle Bob

Timmys_mom

I am sorry, but I agree with Uncle Bob, the case is bizarre! And the family letter, when did it become a MURDER??? Nobody knows or is not talking about what really happened, we may never know. They certainly went overboard on their drinking from what the majority of witnesses have said.

I doubt Uncle Bob will be hanging up his deck sandals over this one...

eveything about it is bizarre..I think if I were on my honeymoon, I would have been trying to find my new husband that morning when he wasnt in the cabin with me. Didnt she just go to the spa without looking for him? That is a weird way to start a marriage. Even if they had gotten into an agruement i would have still like to have known where he had been sleeping the night before. We will probably never really know what happened.

Some people just can't let go of their loss. Look at the mom of the missing Aruba girl who is frequently on TV, and the mom of the dead soldier who keeps pestering the president. I guess this is just how some people deal with their losses. They want "justice" but unfortunately sometimes justice cannot be had.

For all those that are going to judge... note that the comment is from the "family's letter"... we have no CLUE as to what context this was said, or even what it was said about. The media has a LOVELY way of spinning things... so we have no idea what he was referring to here as to the nonevent and the entertainment comments... without seeing the exact quote in full... I am suspect. As for him saying it is bizarre, I think anyone that has followed this case, would agree with that!!!!! And he is right, it doesn't have anything to do with safety on a cruise ship... not in this case at least.

"And so now comes the Smith case. But I mean, it's a nonevent. It's more entertainment than anything else," Dickinson said, according to the family's letter.

He fell off a Royal Caribbean ship.....what does this have to do with Carnival??:confused:

Because they are grieving, and they are grasping.... wait, I better be careful with what I say, they may call for my resignation as well... that's how ridiculous this is. It's obvious that there was more to this quote than what was printed (based on what his response was)... sorry, but you can't demand resignation from everyone that has a differing opinion on this matter. I feel bad for them, but this doesn't show well for them.

He fell off a Royal Caribbean ship.....what does this have to do with Carnival??:confused:

UB mentioned it during a public forum as the article states. Unfortunatley, it was broadcast on Greta's Fox show. I posted a mention about it Tuesday night after I saw it. Thought it might lead to some trouble. I was surprised HE would mention it. BTW-The situation was very bad for the family, but I agree with UB.

Uncle Bob called it a nonevent.

The media will keep this alive for a long time. The family has a civil suit waiting in the wings once criminal investigations are over.

Considering we have no clue WHAT he called a non-event, I'm still reserving judgement. Without knowing the context, it's impossible. Was he saying it was a non-event as far as ship security goes? Completely different than calling his murder itself a non-event. There is no way you can tell by the quote they printed... and judging by the other comments made, he was talking about ship security. Then again, you have people that will jump at the very first thing they read or hear, and distort it to read what they want... making assumptions. Bob Dickinson is a smart man, and has been in the media for a long time...

Uncle Bob certainly is not the first person to call this case "bizarre", nor will he be the last, and that's just what it is ~ bizarre. As far as his "non-event" comment, I agree with GC ~ we just don't know what context it was said in. I feel bad for the family, but trying to get UB fired is pretty "bizarre" itself. The whole thing just gets "curiouser and curiouser" (Alice in Wonderland).

Considering we have no clue WHAT he called a non-event, I'm still reserving judgement. Without knowing the context, it's impossible. Was he saying it was a non-event as far as ship security goes? Completely different than calling his murder itself a non-event. There is no way you can tell by the quote they printed... and judging by the other comments made, he was talking about ship security. Then again, you have people that will jump at the very first thing they read or hear, and distort it to read what they want... making assumptions. Bob Dickinson is a smart man, and has been in the media for a long time...

Uncle Bob and his statement have been televised.

Uncle Bob and his statement have been televised.

And he called the murder a nonevent, or did he call it a nonevent in regards to security? Give us the full context in which the comment was made...that would be helpful, since the article certainly didn't do that.

In response to what cruise lines consider(and I agree) unfair media coverage of safety issues aboard cruise ships, specifically the coverage of Smith.

Of more interest to me is Uncle Bob said Carnival was taking steps to cut fuel usage such as shaving time off schedules and reducing speeds because of rising fuel costs.

Dickinson said he was annoyed that they were even discussing the Smith case, calling it a "non-event."

"It has nothing to do with safety on cruise ships, and the fact that we need to get up here and defend our safety record is absurd," Dickinson said.

And with that, I completely agree. They keep making this an issue of safety on cruise ships, and as far as that is concerned, it IS a non-event. The events that took place on this evening could not have been prevented by security... it was a bizarre evening, and bizarre events, it was a bizarre couple!! It is sad, but in my opinion has nothing to do with security... so yes, in that context, I would agree with him. Cruise lines shouldn't have to defend their safety records because of this event...

I'm with Chris on this one. When I read the article, I got the impression that UB was referring to the publicity and fear-mongering that has come from it. I inferred that he was saying the murder itself has turned into a "nonevent" in comparison to all the hype and sensationalism generated from it. In the context of a discussion about cruise line safety, this makes sense.

Calling for his resignation is just plain silly.

Resignation? No, but,that was a pretty F-ed up thing of him to say.

Why? In the big picture of things, it was, or should have been, a non-event. There is a measure of truth in what he said. How many people are known to have been killed in the US on any given day? Here is a guy that got so plastered that he may have fallen off, fallen into bad company (not proven yet) or thrown over by his sweet little wife (also not yet proven). He is only important because the media made it important in a moment.

None of this depreciates Mr. Smith's life. But, the fact is that he is one of many (or one of a very few on a cruise ship) that died.

The family could better spend their time.

Mark T

They keep making this an issue of safety on cruise ships, and as far as that is concerned, it IS a non-event. The events that took place on this evening could not have been prevented by security... it was a bizarre evening, and bizarre events, it was a bizarre couple!! It is sad, but in my opinion has nothing to do with security... so yes, in that context, I would agree with him. Cruise lines shouldn't have to defend their safety records because of this event...

Well put.

I'm with Chris on this one. When I read the article, I got the impression that UB was referring to the publicity and fear-mongering that has come from it. I inferred that he was saying the murder itself has turned into a "nonevent" in comparison to all the hype and sensationalism generated from it. In the context of a discussion about cruise line safety, this makes sense.

Calling for his resignation is just plain silly.

The family is the only one calling it a murder at this point. Uncle Bob would not have been referring to a murder a a non-event - only a disappearance and how the media has latched onto it.

Cruise ships are still far safer than your average American city.

Archived