Family of George Smith calls for resignation of Uncle Bob

Timmys_mom

I am sorry, but I agree with Uncle Bob, the case is bizarre! And the family letter, when did it become a MURDER??? Nobody knows or is not talking about what really happened, we may never know. They certainly went overboard on their drinking from what the majority of witnesses have said.

I doubt Uncle Bob will be hanging up his deck sandals over this one...

Mr Dood,

good thing Uncle Bob didn't use this choice of words.

Bill

I hate it when people have to put blame somewhere, ANYWHERE, at any cost. These people have suffered a loss, no one is disputing that. But because they can't get closure on the mysterious death of their son, it seems to me they're just looking for someone to take out the brunt of their frustration on. I can also see it as their making a big deal out of nothing just to keep their son's name (and the case) in the headlines.

Even if Bob DID say those things...so what? It's a really insensitive thing to say, but I can see how it might have fit into a bigger conversation and slipped out before he had a chance to censor himself. But seriously, either way, why would someone resign (or be fired) for just making a comment? Seems to me it fits under that "free speech" fine print in a rather important document upon which this country was founded. He wasn't slandering anyone or saying it with any intent to harm or profit. I'm sure he's just tired of having to pay/answer for RCCL's screw up and shoddy "investigation" and "policies" (which it was, IMO).

You know, I'm not following the case very close 'cause IMO, it has gotten to be the same old stuff over and over and over again. I still have this feeling though that the wife is not 100% totally completely innocent in all of this. It's not from anything I've read or heard.. just a gut feeling. Something is definitely not right with this whole thing, but blaming the cruiseline is not the answer.

I think this helps to make what UB was getting at clearer. It comes from the text of a Connecticut (where George Smith was from) TV station report.

"Carnival president Bob Dickinson is blaming the media for making the public believe there is an increase in crime on board cruise ships. He calls Smith's disappearance a "non-issue" that was hyped by cable news.

"It's a non-event," he said. "It's more entertainment than anything else. The facts of the case, the story of a husband and wife, the bride and groom. It's just so absolutely bizarre."

Dickinson told an assembled crowd that he has had to defend cruise safety because of the Smith case. He called that absurd."

If the family wants to blame someone, they should take a closer look at their daughter-in-law. My money is on her. From what witnesses have said, not much of a marriage in my book. I think he got upset over her and the other gentleman and she threw him overboard. Wouldn't be the first time a wife did in her husband.

How many people are known to have been killed in the US on any given day?

You hit the nail on the head there, my friend. The media has latched onto every cruise ship passenger disappearance known to man, but so many more people go missing or are killed on land than all of the deaths or disappearances on cruiseships, it's like a tiny blip on the radar. My sons are both journalism majors in college, and they call it irresponsible reporting.

eveything about it is bizarre..I think if I were on my honeymoon, I would have been trying to find my new husband that morning when he wasnt in the cabin with me. Didnt she just go to the spa without looking for him? That is a weird way to start a marriage. Even if they had gotten into an agruement i would have still like to have known where he had been sleeping the night before. We will probably never really know what happened.

What was bizarre is getting so drunk that she didn't even remember what happened the night before. I enjoy drinking but the amount they were drinking were excessive.

What was bizarre is getting so drunk that she didn't even remember what happened the night before. I enjoy drinking but the amount they were drinking were excessive.

So she says she can't remember anything... isn't that convenient, my money is on her.

Maybe she can team up with OJ in a world hunt for the "killers".

I have a question. I have never been on a cruise so I don't know what these balconys are like. For those of you that have been on one: Is it possible to fall over? He was a taller man. Over 6 feet from what I have read. Could he have looked over and lost his center of gravity and gone over? I think that is what my money is on (if I had any money).

I have a question. I have never been on a cruise so I don't know what these balconys are like. For those of you that have been on one: Is it possible to fall over? He was a taller man. Over 6 feet from what I have read. Could he have looked over and lost his center of gravity and gone over? I think that is what my money is on (if I had any money).

In order to "fall" off, you have to put some effort into it. If he was standing on a chair and bending over, yes, he probably could have. It is not easy at all to "fall" off a ship...I would never bet my money on him benging over and falling over, he would have to be nearly 10 feet tall for that to happen :p

Since he was so drunk, he surely could have fallen over, but the problem with that theory is the large amount of blood that was seen (and photographed) below his balcony. A fall from that height could possibly have killed him or at least made him fall overboard, but falls don't usually leave so much blood, leading to the theory that he was stabbed prior to falling (or being tossed) from the balcony.

Most of the drunks that "fall" off of cruise ships are usually doing stupid things like trying to climb from balcony to balcony. One moron was apparently doing chin-ups from the ocean side of the rail.

Okay I'm gonna have to play devils advocate here. I saw the wife interviewed on Oprah. She wasn't DRUNK at 2:30 a.m. according to another couple they met on the ship and hung out with. I really think there was something very strange going on that night with people putting something in her drink and in her husbands drink. And if I were the family, I'd also do what I could to find out what happened.

All that being said, I think people always should be aware of who they are hanging with and NEVER leave your drink unattended, even on a cruise ship.

Okay I'm gonna have to play devils advocate here. I saw the wife interviewed on Oprah. She wasn't DRUNK at 2:30 a.m. according to another couple they met on the ship and hung out with. I really think there was something very strange going on that night with people putting something in her drink and in her husbands drink. And if I were the family, I'd also do what I could to find out what happened.

All that being said, I think people always should be aware of who they are hanging with and NEVER leave your drink unattended, even on a cruise ship.

She admitted in that interview with Oprah that she WAS drunk (She said "obviously I was since I can't remember")... the couple said she didn't appear overly intoxicated... but she admitted she had been drinking all night. People who saw her on the ship and the bartenders attested to that...

Since he was so drunk, he surely could have fallen over, but the problem with that theory is the large amount of blood that was seen (and photographed) below his balcony. A fall from that height could possibly have killed him or at least made him fall overboard, but falls don't usually leave so much blood, leading to the theory that he was stabbed prior to falling (or being tossed) from the balcony.

I think that is the problem I had with the photo. It was hard for me to visualize how much blood was really there. I saw the stain, but nothing to compare it to. I don't know the size of these lifeboats in person, just on pictures as well. I almost wish they could have shown the photo and had a human shape drawn in to compare the size. Was it a large amount that could only be caused by being stabbed, or is it small enough to be from knocking his head on the boat as he landed? I dunno! :confused:

Hi Shelly! Tired of snow blowing yet???

The "indie" music group The Smith's

Oh, I get it.

I have a south facing driveway. I'm hoping it will be all gone when I get home. I had to leave a certain amount across the end of the driveway so my boys could drive their snowmobile across it without tearing up the asphalt.

See also: S&SII thread. A few posts about my neighbors ignoring my "poor single mother with no big studly man to shovel her driveway" act.

Archived