CruiseTour or on our own

nasellemom1

Hello, so we've jumped on the Princess sale event and booked a cruise, next June 19-26th 2024, Vancouver to Whittier. We are a family of 4 (kids 13&12) We are very adventurous and enjoy getting outside and seeing the world. We've booked our return flight (June 29th) three days after our cruise. My question is, should we just add the additional days with Princess as part of a cruise tour or on our own. I looked at rental cars through Turo from Anchorage, very reasonable. But between all the options of hotels, food and driving I'm not sure which would be best for our family. Is there anyone with some insight? Open to any suggestions. 

This topic is covered extensively on these boards.....  There are pros and cons of each.   DYI offers much more flexibility and most people recommend that.  I am the exception in that I really enjoyed our cruisetours - I hate driving while on vacation.  Also, I enjoyed the company of the other tourists in our group and our tour guide.  But it is personal preference.    We did have kids on our bus about the age of your kids.  

You mention the cost of meals, note that unlike on the ship your meals many not be covered in a cruise tour, you need to check.

Have fun.

I have done a ship's land tour and while it was very good it was hectic and very controlled.

I would seriously considering renting a car and doing my own thing, as that way you can spend the time you need on things that interest your family.  You DO need to spend alot of time planning though and start now to make reservations for next June.

• Like 1

Always recommend a DIY tour.  Alaska is pretty easy to navigate.  Keep in mind that the state is HUGE and adjust driving times accordingly.  Just sit down with your family and see what are your priorities.  Glacier trek? Wildlife viewing? Kayaking? Fishing?  Hiking?  Then it’s easy to plan around those activities.  With just three days, I would recommend concentrating on the Kenai Peninsula—wildlife, fishing kayaking, hiking, glaciers galore!  If it does work in your plan, I also recommend a Matanuska glacier hike—quite a memorable experience!

Book your lodging and tours now!  The more popular places to stay and activities fill up early.  

Upon arrival in Whittier, take a transfer to Anchorage to pick up your rental.  I wouldn’t even stay the night in Anchorage but head out to Seward stopping by the Alaskan Wildlife Center first.

With such a short time on land following your cruise I would also suggest a DIY trip.  We live in Alaska, and watch folks on those cruiseline cruise tours -- the folks just seem so herded.  I also wonder how kids would enjoy such an experience.

The single road into Denali National Park is closed approximately midway in to the park.  The road, when constructed many years ago, was built on a section of ice rich land which is now melting and soughing off the hillside.  The road was closed at this section, called Pretty Rocks, in 2021.  Work just began this summer to bridge the problematic area, but it now appears that the road may not be completely open until 2026.  Until the road is open to Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66) I don't think it is worth trying to visit Denali.  However the cruiselines are still pushing cruise tours to Denali.

Pick up your rental car in Anchorage.  Consider staying at the Alyeska Resort for a night.  The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center receives mixed reviews with some folks raving about and others not so happy; my impression is that folks who enjoy zoos like it.

The are options out of Seward for a very nice DIY trip.  Or consider driving to Homer.

My cruise is booked for August 2024 and I have cancelled my cruisetour in favor of DYI tour.  This forum has been a tremendous help!   We are doing a combination of rental car and Alaskan Railroad to get from place to place.   I feel like we now have an itinerary planned more to our taste.  Plus, I was able to add a couple of days to the trip for the same amount of $$.

DIY.  Especially with the kids you will enjoy the trip so much more because you are on your own schedule.  You may or may not want to do Denali.  If you do Denali the camper bus will be fun and you may decide to get off and hike.  I would skip Denali and spend the time in the Turnagain Arm area between Seward and Anchorage.  There is a lot to do around Seward.  Rent the car in Anchorage and drive to Seward for lodging.  Look online for Seward and Anchorage visitor information. Rent the car now.  You’ll all have a great time!

With the group you say you have, DIY is the way to go.

We had five days on land so we did Seward and then drove up to the Palmer area and Hatcher Pass. It would be lots of driving to do that much in three days, but it can be done. My family liked Hatcher Pass and the drive on the Glenn Highway east of Palmer more than the Seward area. We did the boat tour in Seward but my family had the vibe of "we just got off a boat and now we're on another" But that was just our family. Seward and boat tours have glowing reviews and it is great, but our family just liked Hatcher Pass more. So knowing what I know now, if I only had three days, I would...

... take the bus to Anchorage (I'd do the train if I had more extra money). Rent a car in Anchorage. Drive to the Palmer area and make that my base for three days. Plenty of scenic VRBOs in the are. Do a full day at Hatcher Pass doing multiple hikes. Palmer has grocery stores and restaurants so I would get snacks/lunches/etc for food for a day. Then another day I'd drive east down the Glen Highway and do a glacier walk on the Matanuska Glacier. You have to pay for a guide now. We didn't do the glacier walk (kids were too young), but your ages would be perfect.

Our family did do the Glen Highway drive and took our time, stopped multiple times, saw a moose on the side of the road. It was great for the wide range of ages we had in our Turo minivan. Plus we had some kids a bit sick by the end of the trip so a scenic drive with stops was enough adventure. 

That's my two cents. 

Just to include another suggestion to the recommendations made by @NothingBeatsBaseball -- if folks opt to spend a few days in the Palmer area other ideas include the Independence Mine State Historical Park in Hatcher Pass.  Palmer (and also the University of Alaska Fairbanks) has a musk ox farm which offers tours -- and where do you get to see those critters in the lower 48?

9 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just to include another suggestion to the recommendations made by @NothingBeatsBaseball -- if folks opt to spend a few days in the Palmer area other ideas include the Independence Mine State Historical Park in Hatcher Pass.  Palmer (and also the University of Alaska Fairbanks) has a musk ox farm which offers tours -- and where do you get to see those critters in the lower 48?

We toured the Independence Mine State Historical Park last summer and highly recommend it if you are staying around Palmer.  We particularly enjoyed the behind the scenes tours that gave us access to the buildings.  What fun!  Afterwards, we went to the pass and spent some time watching folks parachute off!  (I guess you would call it parachuting?  People would just run to the edge and jump!). Looked like a lot of fun!

Missed visiting the musk ox farm.  Hopefully we’ll visit next summer.

On 9/3/2023 at 4:06 PM, disneyochem said:

Always recommend a DIY tour.  Alaska is pretty easy to navigate.  Keep in mind that the state is HUGE and adjust driving times accordingly.  Just sit down with your family and see what are your priorities.  Glacier trek? Wildlife viewing? Kayaking? Fishing?  Hiking?  Then it’s easy to plan around those activities.  With just three days, I would recommend concentrating on the Kenai Peninsula—wildlife, fishing kayaking, hiking, glaciers galore!  If it does work in your plan, I also recommend a Matanuska glacier hike—quite a memorable experience!

Book your lodging and tours now!  The more popular places to stay and activities fill up early.  

Upon arrival in Whittier, take a transfer to Anchorage to pick up your rental.  I wouldn’t even stay the night in Anchorage but head out to Seward stopping by the Alaskan Wildlife Center first.

I would agree with this. With only 3 days - I would head out to Seward.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think we are going to DIY, rent a car in Anchorage, drive straight to Seward. Stay there for 2 nights, thinking between VRBO or lodge/hotel, doing a Kenai tour and maybe glacier hike, maybe send the DH and kids fishing. Then the last day we'll head back up to Anchorage, take the day to explore the area and drive North and then fly out the following day. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I had really thought about Denali, but sounds like between the distance to get there, road being washed out and other factors, we'll stick to Kenai peninsula.