Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Looks like there’s a lot of good energy onboard and the food is getting better as you get closer to home. If you haven’t figured yet, food is really important to me on any trip, land or sea. Oh, and good wine too. Oh, and a good beer…
@jam19872016Thanks again for taking us along! I look forward to follow your Cunard South America voyage with Mom…

So does my mom 😆. She brought it up again last night and she didn't even remember where it was going. She called it a Transatlantic. 

9 hours ago, Petersonfcu said:

If I were a betting man I would wager that a Carnival ship has more security personnel per capita than a Cunard ship.  😀 Although in my 26 Carnival cruises I have never actually observed any physical altercations.

They definitely do! I never saw security on Cunard except getting on and off the ship 😆.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, LargeNegroni said:

Thank you for your posts and taking us along on your adventures. The Cunard South America trip sounds amazing! Keep us posted 😁

Another problem is the top line item for my bucket list in 2024 is the 25 night transpacific from Singapore to LA on Panorama. If I can pull that off I definitely won't be able to pull off South America.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The tower would be spectacularly beautiful even if it didn’t lean.

Even in Venice as here, where there are zillions of tourists, if you take two turnings away from St. Marks Square down an unpromising ally, you can find yourself in a pleasant campo, devoid of tourists but with a nice cafe to sit outside. It is one of the strange things about Italy.

I got turned around so many times in Venice 😆. My aimless walks kept turning into where the heck am I? 

• Like 5

Just now, jam19872016 said:

Another problem is the top line item for my bucket list in 2024 is the 25 night transpacific from Singapore to LA on Panorama. If I can pull that off I definitely won't be able to pull off South America.

I got turned around so many times in Venice 😆. My aimless walks kept turning into where the heck am I? 

Yes, that is a definite problem in Venice, but eventually you almost alway come back to the Grand Canal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

More batter. They must be trying to hide something.😊

It's like my Google feed. It's going to be populated with things that interest me. Yours will have things you enjoy, like British baking promgrammes and misdirected pineapples.

There is a lot of breaded foods because that's what I order. They have plain fish, and skinless chicken, and salads, and questionable pastas for those looking to avoid the breaded foods 😅 

17 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

Good morning!! Hugs from the world series champions!!!

I love hockey 🏒.  Go sports 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

It's like my Google feed. It's going to be populated with things that interest me. Yours will have things you enjoy, like British baking promgrammes and misdirected pineapples.

There is a lot of breaded foods because that's what I order. They have plain fish, and skinless chicken, and salads, and questionable pastas for those looking to avoid the breaded foods 😅 

I'm a hockey fan too!! Ironically it's the New York Rangers!!!

Hugs from Texas

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Do you find sufficient breaded and battered stuff on QE? Or did you just have to make do with plain?

3 hours ago, ItsADryHumor said:

We need the tea…

2 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

What was the drama?

I don't know exactly what happened but I will piece it together the best I can.  

There was a young girl. Early 20s I'd say. Blonde, cute, and was really hitting it hard on the dance floor. She would stand out on a crowded dance floor. This club is really dead, so she was definitely noticeable. 

As I was making a call of nature run, I saw two older men hanging on her.  Both likely in their 50's. At the time I figured they were all together, if not before, certainly now. 

From what I can tell, they were not.

They were both trying to pick her up at the same time and some pushing started and security stepped in. They pulled them apart and listened to each side claim they saw her first or how the other was a creepy old man.

Very strange behavior from older men but easily deescalated and probably gave security a little excitement for the first time since leaving Florida.

The young lady? She left the drama and was back inside hanging with people more age appropriate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, chryso said:

Uh oh, you must have had plenty to drink. 😉

My bartender kept me well served 🤪 last night 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, that is a definite problem in Venice, but eventually you almost alway come back to the Grand Canal.

Trouble was my airbnb was not on the  grand Canal  😆 

Edited by jam19872016
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, princess76021 said:

I'm a hockey fan too!! Ironically it's the New York Rangers!!!

Hugs from Texas

Oops, I don't know anything about sports except that the world series win wasn't about hockey. My sarcasm font was not working 😀.

I've heard competitive eating is considered a sport now. Maybe that I could follow. 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Do you find sufficient breaded and battered stuff on QE? Or did you just have to make do with plain?

I found more than enough great choices. If I had needed more breaded foods I could have ordered the fish and chips everyday but I don't believe I had them again after my first meal onboard.

I could sure go for that right now 🤤 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, jam19872016 said:

I found more than enough great choices. If I had needed more breaded foods I could have ordered the fish and chips everyday but I don't believe I had them again after my first meal onboard.

I could sure go for that right now 🤤 

So that might imply that, if the food is nice enough, it doesn’t need batter or bread, which further implies that the batter or bread is there to disguise some inadequacy of quantity or quality, which reinforces my distrust of said covering. QED.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

all of the bazillion folks following along on this thread (READING it, I dare say!) would certainly disagree with that statement!

Yep, reading from a screen, not a published book 😆. Thanks for reading, and be sure to buy my upcoming book 😀 

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Is that a US thing, or a Carnival thing, or is it all over and I’ve just failed to notice, being too engrossed in pineapples?

It is an event that was popular on cruises in the 80s (I guess). Today is Throwback Sea Day where Carnival hosts a lot of events that they did in the 80s. Even bingo is old school with balls drawn from a barrel.

They have a Gala Dinner (thankfully not a Gala dress code though 😆) and a captains cocktail reception with open bar.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So that might imply that, if the food is nice enough, it doesn’t need batter or bread, which further implies that the batter or bread is there to disguise some inadequacy of quantity or quality, which reinforces my distrust of said covering. QED.

They definitely use lower quality ingredients and if it's not the batter, it's the sauces.

Just don't let the bean counters at Carnival find out how much Cunard is spending on food or you may find the breaded foods making an appearance there too 😋 

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Hmmm. Tiresome, but at least the GC was a starting point, where you knew where you were.

It was all part of the adventure. And Google was pretty much useless at navigating Venice 🤣 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Quick breakfast to fuel my walk.

16989302067748601038527636008825.thumb.jpg.bec275486449b4d69276f35dee389d5c.jpg

The potatoes and hot dogs have been kept seperated today 😋

Now that’s how an omelet should look! But I still can’t believe they are serving cut up hot dogs. Do they serve real sausage links? How’s the bacon ie streaky American?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, techteach said:

Now that’s how an omelet should look! But I still can’t believe they are serving cut up hot dogs. Do they serve real sausage links? How’s the bacon ie streaky American?

Seems to alternate each day what type is offered. 

Bacon is rationed behind the counter and only every other day. You can ask for crispy or not crispy and you can ask for more if they don't give you enough. 

• Like 2