Hotel in Melbourne

daydreamer16

We are spending 4 nights in Melbourne before flying to NZ for a cruise. I was looking at the Marriott Hotel, Docklands & it seems very nice. Just wondering if this area (Docklands) is an area where we can walk to restaurants etc. We have tours booked for 2 days but would love to be able to wander around & use public transport if we want to see something specific. Thanks, Denise

There is a tram stop just over a block from the Marriott. There are three tram lines which service Docklands - 1. City Circle Tram - This tram line will take you along Docklands Drive and then into Harbour Esplanade and around onto Flinders Street (on the southern edge of the city) which will take you right around the city centre and back to Docklands and is free to use. 

2. No. 70 Tram - travels along some of the same route as the City Circle but continues onto the eastern suburb of Wattle Park. 

3. No.86 Tram - travels along LaTrobe Street on the northern edge of the city and continues into the suburbs. It travels past Marvel Stadium, which is roofed but can be opened. It is used for AFL football, cricket in the summer and concerts. 

Tram Lines Servicing Docklands 

There are plenty of restaurants around Docklands and across the river in the Southbank and South Wharf precincts - it is walkable to both but you could catch a tram to the corner of Flinders Street and Spencer Street and walk across the bridge to Southbank on your left and South Wharf on your right. 

I would suggest you do some googling on restaurants in the three precincts I have mentioned. If you have any more questions please ask.

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

There is a tram stop just over a block from the Marriott. There are three tram lines which service Docklands - 1. City Circle Tram - This tram line will take you along Docklands Drive and then into Harbour Esplanade and around onto Flinders Street (on the southern edge of the city) which will take you right around the city centre and back to Docklands and is free to use. 

2. No. 70 Tram - travels along some of the same route as the City Circle but continues onto the eastern suburb of Wattle Park. 

3. No.86 Tram - travels along LaTrobe Street on the northern edge of the city and continues into the suburbs. It travels past Marvel Stadium, which is roofed but can be opened. It is used for AFL football, cricket in the summer and concerts. 

Tram Lines Servicing Docklands 

There are plenty of restaurants around Docklands and across the river in the Southbank and South Wharf precincts - it is walkable to both but you could catch a tram to the corner of Flinders Street and Spencer Street and walk across the bridge to Southbank on your left and South Wharf on your right. 

I would suggest you do some googling on restaurants in the three precincts I have mentioned. If you have any more questions please ask.

Thanks so much for your help, definitely will have more questions!

19 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

Thanks so much for your help, definitely will have more questions!

Possum52 is correct - technically. However I would never recommend that anyone stays in Docklands as it is a very bland and boring neighbourhood of Melbourne. If I were to come to New York and tell you that I have a nice hotel on Staten Island or the Bronx, would you not suggest that I stay in Manhattan?

If you need to use Marriott Points, I would suggest the Sheraton or The Westin, both Marriott products.

If you are not using points, anywhere east of Swanston St between Lonsdale and Flinders Sts would be Ok.

1 hour ago, yarramar said:

Possum52 is correct - technically. However I would never recommend that anyone stays in Docklands as it is a very bland and boring neighbourhood of Melbourne. If I were to come to New York and tell you that I have a nice hotel on Staten Island or the Bronx, would you not suggest that I stay in Manhattan?

If you need to use Marriott Points, I would suggest the Sheraton or The Westin, both Marriott products.

If you are not using points, anywhere east of Swanston St between Lonsdale and Flinders Sts would be Ok.

Ok I will look into those, planning to use some points but willing to pay to stay somewhere central & awesome! Of course, not super expensive either😁

About NYC, lived a good portion of my life in Manhattan so a bit of a snob. I would never tell anyone to go to S.I., but the Bronx is any easy & inexpensive commute into Manhattan for the budget conscious 😄

10 hours ago, yarramar said:

As Daydreamer16 was asking about the Marriott at Docklands, that is how I answered the question as they didn't ask for other hotel recommendations. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

As Daydreamer16 was asking about the Marriott at Docklands, that is how I answered the question as they didn't ask for other hotel recommendations. 

Sorry Possum, your advice was spot on and detailed but I felt that the OP should be given alternatives as Docklands is pretty dreary

On 9/6/2023 at 10:50 PM, yarramar said:

However I would never recommend that anyone stays in Docklands as it is a very bland and boring neighbourhood of Melbourne.

I felt that the OP should be given alternatives as Docklands is pretty dreary.

Having been a delighted resident of Docklands for over 14 years I have to respectfully take exception to your characterisation.

Waterfront living at its best with lovely views, excellent transport and immediately adjacent to the city centre.

There are plenty of restaurants, both small and large, that are a delight to dine in. Docklands is a fine blend of city and inner suburb. The free tram service around the city and Docklands makes visiting Melbourne easy, and why be cooped up in the concrete jungle of the CBD when you can enjoy the parks, waterfront and relative openness of Docklands?

Just my 2 cents worth 😉

Edited by Wookie01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wookie01 said:

Having been a delighted resident of Docklands for over 14 years I have to respectfully take exception to your characterisation.

Waterfront living at its best with lovely views, excellent transport and immediately adjacent to the city centre.

There are plenty of restaurants, both small and large, that are a delight to dine in. Docklands is a fine blend of city and inner suburb. The free tram service around the city and Docklands makes visiting Melbourne easy, and why be cooped up in the concrete jungle of the CBD when you can enjoy the parks, waterfront and relative openness of Docklands?

Just my 2 cents worth 😉

I agree with you Wookie01. I always enjoy my visits to Docklands and with Southbank and South Wharf not too far away, there is plenty of choice.

• Like 1

I am sure that Docklands is a nice place to live, but for a visitor on holidays to Melbourne, the CBD or Southbank are much better options. We had an apartment on the corner of Lt Collins & Russell, and  to go down the lift and be right in the middle of the action was fantastic. As it would be for a visitor.