Food & Wine Trails: Santorini's Boutari Winery, Oia & Fira on Oceania

Copper2031

My husband and I will be on Oceania Marina May 2024 and are thinking about taking Oceania’s excursion Food &Wine Trails: Santorini Boutari Winery, Oia & Fira. I’m wondering if anyone has done this excursion and if they were happy with it.  It’s an 8 hour excursion and is expensive.  I believe we would not have to deal with the cable car going up into Santorini which is a plus but we would have to take it down to get back to the ship.  Or walk down the donkey steps which is probably what we would do. Did the tour spend enough time in Oia? Is the winery and lunch worth the cost?  Would we be better off doing a DIY to Oia?  I appreciate any thoughts and experiences anyone has had with food and wine excursions.   Thank you!  

I think we are in the same itinerary. That tour looks very interesting. I was torn on it as it includes some nice options for the day. However, after seeing that there are 10k+ passengers in port that day, we opted for the boat, even though we have never been to Santorini. 

I just booked this excursion for our 8/2/24 cruise. I’m a bit concerned about the return since description lists ending at 3:30, when Vista departs at 4. Hoping return is by bus rather than cable car crush, will check with Oceania.

10 hours ago, Vertygo said:

I just booked this excursion for our 8/2/24 cruise. I’m a bit concerned about the return since description lists ending at 3:30, when Vista departs at 4. Hoping return is by bus rather than cable car crush, will check with Oceania.

I would check that as well. If the return is to the other terminal by bus, then you should be able to miss the cable car situation. Please let us know what you find out?

Very friendly O agent is messaging their shore excursions dept regarding the return & will e-mail me their response. I’ll keep y’all posted.

He did show Vista departing at 5, which gives an extra hour leeway than schedule I see on-line, so that helps.

Linda

12 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I think we are in the same itinerary. That tour looks very interesting. I was torn on it as it includes some nice options for the day. However, after seeing that there are 10k+ passengers in port that day, we opted for the boat, even though we have never been to Santorini. 

Hello Vineyard View, I believe you are right that we are on the same cruise. We are looking forward to it.  I did see about the amount of passengers in port that day and it is definitely a concern. I also looked at the boat excursion you are doing and we have thought about doing it. It does sound like a very nice day. We may decide to change our excursion I’m still working on what to do.  I was hoping someone on cruise critic has done the food and wine and could give me some information especially about the end of the day.  So many people on cruise critic are so helpful and I appreciate that they take the time to answer questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vertygo said:

Very friendly O agent is messaging their shore excursions dept regarding the return & will e-mail me their response. I’ll keep y’all posted.

He did show Vista departing at 5, which gives an extra hour leeway than schedule I see on-line, so that helps.

Linda

I’m thinking to ask my TA to see if she can get any info on the end of the food and wine excursion.  When I do and have an answer I will let you know. Thank you for reaching out! 

• Like 2

I strongly recommend NOT going on the donkey trail up nor down. First, it's bout 900 uneven steps with donkey doo everywhere. No guard rails, and the donkeys just keep on coming. I would also not ride the donkeys for two reasons; one, you will smell like donkey the rest of the day and two, they are frequently abused by their owners. Take the cable car. it's simply and quick.

• Like 2