Disembarking in Civi

cruzlover

We are arriving in port for the day at 7:00 am and there will be people disembarking and others embarking. 

Will that affect our getting off the ship to catch a train on our own? Trying to figure out what time to book the train

Nope, no effect. 

Where are you going on the train? You won't book many trains far in advance. The trains you can book in advance, you will want to book about 4 months out, when the fares are first issued, and are cheapest. Some of the regional trains don't sell in advance.

Book through trenitalia.com

You can book all trains in advance but be aware that tickets purchased on line for regional trains must now be validated on line, which will require a connection while in Italy.  If you won't have that access you won't be able to use the ticket.

If this is a port day trip you might consider using the BIRG ticket, which can only be purchased on site.  The newsstand in the train station sells them, 12 euro gets you round trip regional train fare as well as unlimited use of the the buses, metro and trams in Rome for the day.

There have been many threads (use Search) published on how to access transportation in Civitavecchia.  But lets revisit some of the issue.  You do not need to "book a train" if you are simply heading off to Rome.  The regional trains (which are the large majority of available trains) do not accept reservations and, in some cases, can be standing room only (especially during rush hours).  

The main concern, when you get off a ship early (say 7:15) is how to get from your ship to the train station.  It is usually possible to walk out of the that port, but depending on your docking position it could be at least 1 mile (much of is through a commercial port).  That being said, there is a marked walkway.  The most popular alternative is to use the shuttle bus provided by the Port.  But these shuttle buses may not start until 8 (or later) and can also get quite crowded.  Having been to this port dozens of times, DW and I always start out with the idea of using the Port shuttle.  When that fails, our Plan B has been to walk out of the port to the train station (we are good walkers and can easily handle the distance).  

We also agree (strongly) with Euro Cruiser's advice about purchasing a BIRG ticket (if Rome is your destination).  Just keep in mind that you must validate that ticket (or even a regular ticket) in the ticket validation machine (it puts a time/date stamp on the ticket) before your first journey.  Those machines are at the station (usually near the door to the tracks or in the waiting areas along the tracks).

Hank

14 hours ago, cruzlover said:

We are arriving in port for the day at 7:00 am and there will be people disembarking and others embarking. 

Will that affect our getting off the ship to catch a train on our own? Trying to figure out what time to book the train

What you have going in your favor is not all are disembarking so the trains shouldn't be filled to the top with luggage.🤞 You haven't mentioned your plans, but I'm going to guess your plan is to head into Rome for a few days.  Yes? No?  If yes, as much as you want to get into Rome early sit down, do breakfast, relax and let those self-disembarking individuals who have a much too early plane or tour scheduled have full access to the gangway.  Sometime around 9:00 head off ship - there will still be way too much pushing and shoving for my taste.  What Hank is politely saying in "DW and I always start out with the idea of using the Port shuttle.  When that fails, our Plan B has been to walk out of the port to the train station (we are good walkers and can easily handle the distance)" is when you get to the port shuttle there's no lines (think free-for-all chaos), buses may be slow, and when a bus does show up people only get "pushier" (remember the no line?).  And while the bus may appear to be empty of people when it pulls away it's packed with luggage.  As I travel with a roll-on bag the walk to the station sometimes is very appealing.  

As already mentioned, you don't need to prebook the train.  By arriving at the train station after 9:00 the commuter situation has abated, and you just might find a place for your luggage and a place to sit.  Can't say the same for the 8:00 passengers.  

I have a completely opposite strategy upon disembarking vs. a port day.  For a port day I want to be one of the first off the ship and on my way into town.  For disembarking, on the other hand, I stay on the ship much longer hoping to avoid the commuters.  I'm also willing to wait longer and spend more for a Frecce train upon disembarking, in order to have a guaranteed seat and more room for my luggage.  

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

My concern is that there are passengers disembarking who will have luggage and I assume, have to go through customs. Is there a separate line for people just getting off for the day?

We are on MSC Seaview

Edited by cruzlover

Civi is really easy.  Everyone goes thru the same door, stop and pick up luggage if they have, and just walk on out.  No customs!

If this is a port day, then I too would be getting off as early as possible.  One day in Rome is not enough - use every minute.